Creating A Ducting Systemô
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Creating A Ducting Systemô

Creating A Ducting Systemô

I am planning on putting some kind of ducting system on my computer and I am going to need a little help because I am not aware of the physics that go into it.

Now, I usually leave the left side of my case open as it is next to a wall... I want to make a ducting system so that my Swiftech can get cool air from outside the case and blow it directly on to my Thunderbird.

Here's the thing - if I create a ducting system that is about three feet long, do I have to put a fan on the outside end? There will, of course, be a fan directly over the heatsink they way the manufacturer intended it to be.

Wait... I'll draw it.

Does that 120MM Fan have to be there or will the air flow be the same without it there. Of course, I would much rather not have that fan there as my ultimate goal is silence. Another one of my gials is to keep the Thunderbird under 40ļC.

The 80MM fan will not be a Delta, but one made by Elan Vital which is very quiet.

Any suggestions any of you have are more then welcome.

Thank you,

Toolboxô

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computerô
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Here is my suggestion.

Better save it to a disk as 50g.com will delete it in about two days as they don't like hotlinking i you feel it would help you.

I am going to ramp up my tooly soon to 1500mhz permenently and I am going to use a 12v fan attatched to the bottom which is going to be cut out so it can suck the fresh air from the bottom where the coldest ait in the house is. Yes I have though about the fuzzies and in that case maybe attatch a plate about 1 inch form the hole for the fan so it doesn't suck directly from the carpet and also elevate the whole box say 2 inches with wood pegs or what ever you got laying around (chicken bones, leggo's, etc....).

I guarentee ducting is a very good way to cool your system really well and I am going to assume that you can use maybe that 4inch fan @ 7v as also your 80mm. I know that these 4" fans are quiter than most to all fans I have heard for some reason but they also push alot of air! 100cfm+ I think. I have seen them at radio shack and bought the 110v one and installed it at the front of my case under my HD and it caused all sorts of problems with my HD. It started opening files for some reason( which I didn't open) it was really weird. But anyway I would consider ducting from the bottom of your case or from the side as opposed to the top of it, From the side would be the shortest route but I think second shortest would be from the bottom if you got one of those full towers such as I.

If you are not worried about what the interior of your case looks like I have found that duct tape and plastic or aluminum sheathing is really easy to construct many parts of your duct system with. Also they have larger ducting than what you may find for driers I have seen it at my old work place. I believe it would house that 4" fan very easily. At 7v I would not worry about the reducer holding much back or even 12v. The throughput should still be quite good with that 80mm fan. You may not even need that 80mm fan with a 4" fan at the base of your duct. Instead maybe gut out a old non working case fan and use that to attatch your duct to the HS????? I made a 80mm reducer for my tooly like this and it works really well. Another consideration would maybe be to put that 4" fan in the front of your case between CDROM's if there is room????

The shortest distance is going to be the best without many 90 deg. angles if any at all. It still wouldn't hurt much but I feel throughput would be reduced with 90 deg. bends.

Not only would the air you are using be cooler since it is ducted but with a 4" 12v fan the cfm's would be higher too. It would be really interesting to see what one could do with a full 12v. Like I said they are not as loud as some 5000rpm 50mm fans I have had, really!

I'd use a fan at the end there to blow into the duct to help it along, don't need a loud one just something to help it figuring moving air is better than still air since its cooler just like your fan in the living room if that makes sense.

I use a 4" dia, blower and a short duct to a stock CoolMaster heatsink without a fan, and get very good temps. The thing you want to consider is that that dogleg in the middle of the duct will create trubulence and slow the flow. The longer the tube the more loss as well. But with the powerful fans that you are talking about, and the diameter of the duct, this is not a major concern. Id get rid of that dogleg if you can.

My current temps
    A little miss leading right now, the blower is fed with a mixed room air and AC
    CPU under low load 22C
    System 24C (the exhaust from the heatsink actually washes over the board sensor and so its hotter than the CPU probe, they are hooked up correctly, I swear )

These vary with the ambient and are generally 4C higher under a full load (Prime95 newest beta version)

------------------
    Strong like Bull...Smart like Tractor

sorry first post here, dont see an edit button

Edit, Im running an Athlon 1.2GHz not overclocked at a stock vcore of 1.74

------------------

Those seem rather good temps Ice Czar, especially with a stock Coolermaster. I can't wait to get my duct installed if it's going to drop my temps as much as my jaw did when I read them. What other fans do you have in the system out of interest, and do you have an idea what the ambient air/AC mix temp is?

Oh, and BTW, welcome to HWC . For future reference the Post Edit button is the third icon along at the top of your post next to the posting date and time. The icon is a page with a yellow pen sticking out at an angle. Sorry if you've since figured this out, I don't mean to sound patronising.

Bennyboy.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Why don't you OC that thing if you got it fed like you do????? I got my 1.2ghz tooly at 1.4ghz but the fans are at 7v, on the other hand you have a BLOWER and you leave it stock?????? May I ask why that is? It sounds like with that blower you could slap one of those new all Cu cooler master HS's on it and overclock like crazy. Maybe you are just trying it out huh???? How loud is it and is it a 12v blower like you find in cars??

Was thinking about your situation. Having been into model airplanes awhile back, and interested in the "ducted fan jets" , the fan units had a stator just behind the the blades, not unlike the blades of our fans, to straighten out the air flow, to increase the through put of the air flow. What that amounts to is just an airfoil shaped cross. Also, I know that dryer vent tube is most avaliable, just remember that there is a great deal of drag internaly with the ribbed ducting. Good Luck

------------------
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

While your getting this all together you should use this vcool utility to keep you a little cooler works on my abit. Also you should flash to the 3r bios it is a good revision and will help prevent any hard locks you encounter.
    http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/016525.html

Thanks all... I begin the construction on the duct and let you know if I run into any problems.

I also know that to maintain the velocity of the air from the outside to the inside of the duct, it has to be tapered, but by how much every how many inches?

Thanks again.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I built a duct for a "computer" of mine. It is actually just a small desktop case with 15 80mm fans and air filters in it. The reason I post this is for my idea of a duct. How I built my duct is I bought some of the gutter cover stuff. The metal stuff you use to keep leaves out of your gutter. I coated that with duct tape and you can form the duct into just about any shape of size that you want, and it works great. Also for some reason the duct tape seems to muffle the noise of the fans quite well. With all 15 running on 12v I can't hardly hear them. Maybe because I am used to hearing 4 screaming Deltas in my real computer.

------------------
    AMD Thunderbird 1GHZ
    Asus A7VKT133
    256MB PC133
    40GB HD
    64MB Raedon w/TV in/out
    SB Live 5.1

GET PAID TO BE ONLINE!!!
    http://www.desktopdollars.com/gateway_click.asp?id=aurocul
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

Originally posted by Ice Czar:
    My current temps
    A little miss leading right now, the blower is fed with a mixed room air and AC
    CPU under low load 22C
    System 24C (the exhaust from the heatsink actually washes over the board sensor and so its hotter than the CPU probe, they are hooked up correctly, I swear )

These vary with the ambient and are generally 4C higher under a full load (Prime95 newest beta version)

Errrrm... sorry mate, but there is no way in hell that those temps are accurate, especially using a coolermaster HSF... unless you live in antartica of course LOL

------------------
    Duron 700@1100 2.1v Air Cooled
    ALPHA PAL6035 & Delta 7000rpm
    Abit KT7 Raid w/voltage mod
    IBM 75 GXP UDMA100
    Gainward Geforce2 Pro 64Meg
    256Mb Crucial PC133 CAS2
    Belinea 10-30-40 17" 0.26
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz S/Card
    ASUS 50x
    Mitsumi 8x 2x CD-R
    GlobalWin 802 w/5x80mm YS-Techs