Need advice on ram - Thinking about this one but not surs, please help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on ram - Thinking about this one but not surs, please help

Need advice on ram - Thinking about this one but not surs, please help

I am thinking of buying 2 256MB Mushkin High Performance REV 3+ *PLUS*, I was wondering if this ram is any good, I have heard mixed comments on muskin ram but most of the bad comments seem to be about the price and this doesn't concern me that much. Please let me know I have included a link so you can see the exact ram I am talking about. Thanks for you advice I am only just starting to mess around at this.
    http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushk...roducts/990774

Can't say enough about mushkin ram, opened a few office apps, tried a few filters in photoshop, opened bryce4 made up a quick scene of multiple objects and rendered it, all on the same session. Didn't see a dropoff in resouces on the destop like you normally do using 384mg, went thru about 4 games for a couple of hours didn't notice any dropoffs in windows afterwards. This ram holds up very well am quite pleased with it, bought the ram at mushkin.

That stuff looks great! The price isn't bad either. I have not heard anything bad about Mushkin at all and would not hesitate to run it. It should perform well for you.

------------------
    TBird 1.2 @ 1.3
    (2)128mb Crucial@CAS2
    Antec SX1030B
    ALPHA PAL6035 w/Delta
    Abit KT7-R
    (2)Diamondmax+ 7200rpm 30GB
    RAID Level0
    Prophet 2 MX 200/200
    HP9110i + Creative 52x
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

The reason I am considering this ram is because I am currently running 512mb ddr and can't push this past 136. I was hoping that this would be faster as it is quite often meant to go up to 160+ ( and yes I do understand how ddr works ) If I am wrong and this would not end up being faster than ddr please let me know, still learning here, and if it would is the mushkin ram in the above link be a good one to get. Please let me know.

Originally posted by [TS]FireFly:
    .. I am currently running 512mb ddr and can't push this past 136. I was hoping that this would be faster as it is quite often meant to go up to 160+ ( and yes I do understand how ddr works ) If I am wrong and this would not end up being faster than ddr please let me know, still learning here, and if it would is the mushkin ram in the above link be a good one to get. Please let me know.
    You know the Rev 3 plus is SDRam right...?

If you want sheer overclocking capability, then you want Tonicom pc166. It will run at 166Mhz@CAS2 guaranteed. I have a 256MB stick of it, and it does not disappoint. It's much cheaper than the Mushkin also. Search for it on www.pricewatch.com.

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Hey friend. Maybe since money doesn't seem to be a problem...you might consider buying a stick or two for me?

------------------
    AMD Thunderbird 1GHZ
    Asus A7VKT133
    256MB of no name memory
    40GB of no name hard drive
    16MB TNT2 (soon 2 B GF3)
    SB Live 5.1
    Case: Mid Tower Enlight 7237
    Quote: "If it aint broke, mod it"
    "You can't hurt The Colonal, because The Colonal likes it rough!"
    Get Listed!

If you don't have a DDR Motherboard, Rev.3 Plus won't work. I would then suggest going with Mushkin High Performance DDR.

If you are referring to your motherboards DDR based fsb, then yes the Rev.3 Plus will work.
    AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

Originally posted by tysidor:
    If you don't have a DDR Motherboard, Rev.3 Plus won't work. I would then suggest going with Mushkin High Performance DDR.

If you are referring to your motherboards DDR based fsb, then yes the Rev.3 Plus will work.

My MB is an Asus A7A266 and supports both types of ram, the main reason that I am thinking of scaping the DDR is to enable be to push the fsb up and hense the speed of the whole system, at the min with the DDR I can't pust it past 136 and so have to rely on the multilier only. I can push it to 137 but its unstable. All I really want is an answer on if the mushkin mentioned above would perfom better than the DDR, I know the fsb will go higher with the muskin but will this still perform worse than the ddr? even if its at 136 ( which I guess is 272 ) or would the muskin at say 160 perform overall better, as it would increase the speed of the whold system. Also I am changing the power supply Enermax 431W ATX PSU what do you all think of this PSU is it a good stable PSU, I have heard good comment about Enermax. Please let me know.

PS: I am having loads of jun doing this,

Originally posted by tysidor:

Also what do you mean by the above somment the Rev.3 isn't ddr is it so what would not having a ddr MB have to do with using it????????

Also would mushkin High Performance DDR SDRAM maybe be better than the mushkin rev.3 plus, I'm not sure hnow far I could push the fsb on these so if anyones got any idea please let me know ( I understand its still system dependant )
    http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushk...roducts/990771

Also would mushkin High Performance DDR SDRAM maybe be better than the mushkin rev.3 plus
    I havn't heard or had any experience with Mushkin's DDR memory but I'm guessing it's pretty good.

I've used Mushkin memory since I first purchased a 32 meg stick of PC66 for $150 from them in fall of 97'. They are a great company to do business with and their memory rocks! Not always the cheapest out their but the performance is awesome.

As far as Mushkin @160 mhz 2-2-2 will be very fast. Now I don't think the bandwidth will be as high as your current DDR running at 136, however it will certainly have much lower latency. So overall I think you'd be better off with the Mushkin at those speeds even though you might take a step back in pure throughput. I just think that the overall gains in the entire system at those higher bus speeds plus the lower main memory latencies will more than make up for the difference.

However, Ideally, you should really be looking to replace your DDR memory with some other DDR stick(s) that can clock to the 150 mhz range and run either CAS 2 or 2.5 at that speed. That would certainly give you the best performance. However I don't know which brand DDR would be the best for you.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Ideally, you should really be looking to replace your DDR memory with some other DDR stick(s) that can clock to the 150 mhz range and run either CAS 2 or 2.5 at that speed. That would certainly give you the best performance.[/B]
    What do you think the chances of getting the Mushkin High Performance DDR SDRAM up to 150 are?

Give mushkin a call they answered my questions for me plus they test there ram to see how far they can push them.

Yes, your motherboard can run both types of memory.

With you current setup I would suggest getting Mushkin High Performance DDR. I am thinking about getting this ram with a new Asus A7V266 when it becomes available. I emailed mushkin with some different questions. Here is their response to the DDR maz fsb speed. Hope this helps.

DDR: Hyundai so far outperforms most others on overclockability--but
    that is 2.5 3 3. the High Performance with user defined bios settings can
    run 222 to 150 or so (which is 300 or so in ddr world)

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Dorothy
    Mushkin Enhanced Memory Systems
    Customer Service Technician
    800 569 1868 extension 211
    AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

Thread Information