ThermalRight SK-6 Socket Cooler!! Must See!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ThermalRight SK-6 Socket Cooler!! Must See!

ThermalRight SK-6 Socket Cooler!! Must See!

This cooler even beats the OCZ Gladiator

------------------
    (o^_^o)

Thats a nice heatsink, but I feel that they could have designed it a lot better. If you notice, there is a groove cut out for the clip which goes straight through the centre of the cooler, a point where cooling is critical as it is directly above the core. However, if it cools well, who cares!!

------------------
    Duron 700@1100 2.1v Air Cooled
    ALPHA PAL6035 & Delta 7000rpm
    Abit KT7 Raid w/voltage mod
    IBM 75 GXP UDMA100
    Gainward Geforce2 Pro 64Meg
    256Mb Crucial PC133 CAS2
    Belinea 10-30-40 17" 0.26
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz S/Card
    ASUS 50x
    Mitsumi 8x 2x CD-R
    GlobalWin 802 w/5x80mm YS-Techs
    Duron 700@1100 2.1v Air Cooled - RIP

I have been using the Millenium Glaciator for a couple of weeks as a replacement for a Taisol 742.

I had mounted a delta on the Taisol which makes a fair amount of noise...OK, it's a screamer - so as you can imagine it's quieter and I can overclock 2 MHz higher too.

A lot of controversy at the AMDmb Iwill forum where I've been hanging out alot lately as temps seem to be higher for Millenium users, but overclocking better - I suppose copper heat retention is a factor, although copper transfers heat more effectively than aluminum - so I have no clue what's up with that.

Effecient case cooling is a must with the heatsink, seemingly even more than with other copper or aluminum products.

Here's a pic for your 4th of July (whatever than means) viewing enjoyment:

------------------
    Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

I just ordered one from www.1coolpc.com for
    32.00 without a fan, best deal I've found yet. I have acumilated quite a selection of 60MM and 80MM fans so I'll have that covered. I have heard that you can't mount an 80MM fan on the SK6 can anyone confirm this? Berserker,what fan do you have on yours? Audscott, I was going to get a Glaciator but after emailing Andrew Lamont and confirming my impresion that you can't change the fan I decided to go with the Sk6 as I like to have the option of trying different fans.

------------------
    System specs:Axia 1Ghz 266 @ 1.54Ghz 140x11 1.9Vcore iWillKK266, WD 20gig hd, enermaxeg365p dual fan psu ,ThermoEngine heat sink with 34 cfm 60x25mm fan , modded Nobilis mid tower case , 512 megs kingston pc133 ram all wires loomed and cables rounded.
    System specs:Axia 1Ghz 266 @ 1.54Ghz 140x11 1.9Vcore iWillKK266, WD 20gig hd, enermaxeg365p dual fan psu ,SK6 80mm 40cfm fan , modded Lian Li PC60,512 megs kingston pc133 ram.

No this is the GOD of cooling...

The Zaleman CPNS 5000+

It is just MIGHTY!!! Mounts directly to the motherboard...

I just love it. I just wish I had about $50 laying around so I could get one. Of coars I would also have to replace my Duron 600@900Mhz with something more worthy, lkie a 1.2Ghz to overclock. That would also require replacing my power supply and I might as well get a new case to go with it.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Is that Zalman thing really that good?? To be honest, it looks a bit crap to me. Have you got a review??

------------------
    Duron 700@1100 2.1v Air Cooled
    ALPHA PAL6035 & Delta 7000rpm
    Abit KT7 Raid w/voltage mod
    IBM 75 GXP UDMA100
    Gainward Geforce2 Pro 64Meg
    256Mb Crucial PC133 CAS2
    Belinea 10-30-40 17" 0.26
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz S/Card
    ASUS 50x
    Mitsumi 8x 2x CD-R
    GlobalWin 802 w/5x80mm YS-Techs
    Duron 700@1100 2.1v Air Cooled - RIP

I don't think the Zalman is anything special, the ThermalRight is better at cooling.

All Zalman coolers seem to be more frills than performance.

------------------
    Real experts use keyboards for windows and mice for quake.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Well if you did not notice the {H} on the picture. This was from a review from {H}ardOCP. It scored the same as the SK-6 when they both used the Delta38 fan.

http://hardocp.com/reviews/cooling/roundup0601/

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

[This message has been edited by Todd a (edited 07-04-2001).]
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Notice the last 6 ALL use the Delta38 fan and the Zalman matched the SK-6 and beat the CAK38 by 5'C. That is pretty impressive. I have seen other reviews that show it actually performing better. They also show the performance of the 3 differant speeds it can run at and the two slower speeds are VERY quiet.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

While I don't doubt the cooling or the ability to quiet it down I think you are leaving a few things out about the Zalman.

I see standoffs to mount it to the Motherboard. I just looked at my board and there are no standoffs or holes to put them in. I think also to install this HS in a board with the holes(and no standoffs installed) would necessitate the removal of the board. This is not a big problem if you are building a new system but if you are just replacing the HS, IMO this is a big hassle.

------------------
    600 duron@1000mhz(10x100FSB)
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Asus TNT2 (untill the LE comes)
    SoundBlaster Live Value

[This message has been edited by cyril1 (edited 07-04-2001).]
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Some boards have holes. Some don't. The Zalman is the only choice if you have broken the ears off your socket 462 and have holes. Forget the resistors. They just slow the fan down. What good is that? The fact is all decent hs work exceedingly well with the Delta fan, so the fan is the secret if you can tolerate it. Most can't. I want to get an SK6 and silver plate it like the silver plated Gladiator. But, there are certain limits to air cooling, and we are there.

------------------
    My screen says: "Je pense, donc je suis."
    My screen says: "Je pense, donc je suis."

I noticed that my Abit KT7A-R have 4 holes around the socket. It is useful if one want to install the Zaleman.

RandyB, I have a GlobalWin WBK38 with the Delta fan. VERY Noisy and I have got used to the sound and I could only hear the fan just purring in the case

------------------
    (o^_^o)

[This message has been edited by Berserker (edited 07-06-2001).]

Originally posted by CenturionStrategy:
    I don't think the Zalman is anything special, the ThermalRight is better at cooling.

All Zalman coolers seem to be more frills than performance.

LOL well obviously you've never used one.
    I've got one on my main rig...it brought my temps down 13 C over my all copper hedgehog.
    Running a 1.33@1.6@35C@idle w/1.98Vcore.
    I've got (6)HSF sitting here and this one is by far the best I've used.
    BTW...here's the largest review of HFS I've seen to date. It puts the Zalman right at the top with the SK-6. They don't test the Swifty which everyone knows is the Top Dog. http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

------------------
    KJY9's rigs:
    KJY9's rigs:
    KJY9's rigs:
    KJY9's rigs:

Originally posted by Telcoman:
    I want to get an SK6 and silver plate it like the silver plated Gladiator.
    Here's another Silver plated all copper HSF. I just got it for my 1.2@1.5 http://www.plycon.com/slvmnt.htm

------------------
    KJY9's rigs:
    KJY9's rigs:
    KJY9's rigs:
    KJY9's rigs:

The motherboard listed in your signature is an Abit KT7 RAID. This has the holes. To be 100% AMD certified a motherboard must include these holes. All major motherboard manufacturers include them. I have and Abit KT7 and it has them and acording to Abit, your RAID does too as you can see below:

Sorry about the size of the picture, but I wanted to make sure you can easily make out the 4 holes around the socket. I actually e-mailed one reviewer. He said this was the most stable mounting he had seen on a socket. He also said on his testing it beat the WBK38 in normal mode and the silent mode was only 3'C lower and after my E-mail he said the whisper mode was about 2'C lower than that. He said even in whisper mode it easily beat the FOP32-1.

I will be able to test one in about two weeks on a 1.33Ghz Athlon, so I will let you know.

As for installing this on a system allready build, you just need to unscrew the expansion cards and the 6 screw securring the motherboard and tip it out a little bit and install the stand-offs from the other side of the case. Yes a little extra work, but when dealing with solid copper heatsinks, you want a VERY secure mounting method.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

Thread Information