Are Deer power supplies any good?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Are Deer power supplies any good?

Are Deer power supplies any good?

I just got a new full tower case and was thinking that I'd get some generic 300w power supply with it, but this one actually has a brand name on it: Deer. I've seen the power supplies on pricewatch and they don't appear to be as generic as most. Am I right? Or should I swap this thing for an Enermax?

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Deere's about as generic as you can get. I've got a 300W Deere in my PC and haven't had any problems with it tho

------------------
    Asus A7V
    AXIA T-Bird 1GHz @ 1.266GHz
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

I've had a few cases with Deer PSU's also, and they seem to work OK...

Whenever I see a Deer PSU mentioned in the Hardforum the post usually contains words like "!&%!#&! and &%"%&!!"!*

Other than that I don't have any experience with them, so if it works for you, by all means, use it

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

A local retailer in my area sells cases with Deer power supplies and they all come with this disclaimer: "not for use with Athlon CPUs".

Deer?

Isn't that a subsidiary of the company that makes Yugo cars?

Heh, well it's been working just fine with my Duron. And so did my last really generic power supply. Actually, I think the inaccuracy of the core voltage supply has let me overclock better. The core always reads .5v higher than what it's set to in the bios, so I could actually get 1.9v without a voltage mod! I've never needed that much voltage though.

------------------

Same here, a bogus $39 CompUSA 300 watt ATX power supply and it works fine.

Originally posted by wrathchild_67:
    Heh, well it's been working just fine with my Duron. And so did my last really generic power supply. Actually, I think the inaccuracy of the core voltage supply has let me overclock better. The core always reads .5v higher than what it's set to in the bios, so I could actually get 1.9v without a voltage mod! I've never needed that much voltage though.

Actually, the I/O and core voltage accuracy is determined by the motherboard's voltage regulators. Also, the accuracy of the reported voltage is affected by the hardware monitor chipset...

Originally posted by wrathchild_67:

Actually, the I/O and core voltage accuracy is determined by the motherboard's voltage regulators. Also, the accuracy of the reported voltage is affected by the hardware monitor chipset...
    I have an Enermax 550W Power Supply and I've also tried several different ones including an Enlight 250W and Enermax 350W and I also get 0.5v higher voltage than selected in BIOS, I have to agree with Kevin there that the voltage is determined by the voltage regulators on the motherboard and that the accuracy of the reported voltage is affected by the HW-monitor chipset. I even talked to Enermax about all the different voltages and voltage readouts from the HW-monitor and they said that the HW-monitor chipset isn't that accurate of financial causes. So voltages have to be measured with a multimeter, but that would be a little hard for the Core voltage of the cpu

------------------
    HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797
    HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

No, it is affected by the P.S. also. On my old P.S. the core voltage was only .3v higher than what it should've been set to. I tried both P.S.'s to make sure, and the Deer consistenly gave .5v more while the other one was only .3v. The I/O voltage is also more accurate with the Deer. I know that the mobo is what regulates most of the voltages, but what enters it can vary.

------------------

Your deer psu shold be fine my 300watt deer ran my athlon @1380 on my asus board for a week or so with no problems what so ever while I was in between systems. it also ran my duron system @920 flawlessly. I think as long as you don't get a lemmon psu your in good shape...thats the only problem. If you do manage to get a lemmon (which are much more common with the generic psu's than the name brand ones) you are pretty much screwed. I just paid 58 bucks for a new mid tower with an amd cert 400watt generic psu that I have running on my system (dad has the tower...I stole the bigger psu). And you know what, for 58 bucks which includes the 26 bucks for shipping I'll buy a dam new one if it doesn't work in a year.

hehe...sorry for any spelling mistakes in this...just got back from orlando and haven't touched a keyboard in 11 days...man this mouse feals wierd.

------------------
    AMD Tbird (AXIA) 1Ghz @ 1425mhz w/ OCZ gladiator
    Iwill KK266 Raid
    384megs crucial cas2 @ 150mhz
    Leadtek 32meg Geforce2 GTS Pro (220/415)
    Dual 20gig IBM 60gxp Deskstars in RAID 0
    Nec 40x cdrom
    Sony 12x8x32 CD-RW
    17" KDS Avitron flat screan (1024x768 @ 85hz)
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

Thread Information