What's a "cool" case?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What's a "cool" case?

What's a "cool" case?

In cooling, the case has always been my problem. I need a full tower case (or something like it), with decent airflow. I had a Yeong-Yang cube, which was awesome, but I got rid of it.

I just ordered an Inwin Q500 full tower, which I've heard is decent...

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Actually I would have asked here first before buying but maybe you already did a search here for cases, I just got this case http://www.colorcomputercase.com/products/AT901.html and am very pleased with it bigger than a mid size but smaller than a full tower.

I asked a similar question here and here.

I ended up getting the SC760-A.

------------------
    "What are you, my therapist!?! TAKE A WALK!!!

Interested in more great conversation? Visit JJR512's Board

We'd love to have you on our Genome@Home Team.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

One of the easiest modes to do on a case is to add a few blow holes. They are cheap and quick. The first is to put one or two blow holes in the side. The first across from the CPU and the second about 1" below that (for the AGP and top PCI slots). Take a 3.5" hole say (the ones they use for cutting holes in walls for plumbing pipes). It attaches to a drill. Mark and drill the holes. Make the smaller holes for the screws to attach the fan. Put a 92mm fan on the inside and a chrome fan grill on the outside (file off any burs on the hole first if needed). Attach the fan to a 3 or 4 pin connector (I prefer 4 pin for case fans). Have both fans blowing in. The other good location for a blow hole is in the top of the case between the power supply and CD-ROM. They only thing is you must do this befor assebling the system (metal filing are very bad for computers). That is why the side blow hole are the easiet, you just take the side pannel off and mod it.

This is a Sanyo Denki 92x25mm 3 pin low noise fan (44CFM at 30db):
    http://millisec.safeshopper.com/52/493.htm?288

They run $12 and the fan grills run $2.25 and they charge $5 for shipping. They also carry a y-connector to plug the 2 3-pin connectors into 1 3 pin on your motherboard. Sinse the fans are rated for 1.8w each you should be fine. The two side fans (likely all you need). They also sell 4 pin connectors for $1 that you can use instead.

While your at cutting up the side of your case, you might as well add a window kit, neon lighting and rounded drive cables!

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Oh, by the way. If you are wondering just how cool (Hee Hee) this looks, then check this out:

This is the "Wind Tunnel Plus" ATX Case Rev2 found here for $120:
    http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/cases.shtml

Comes with 2 92mm and 3 80mm fans. All are high speed and must be very noisy. Of coarse it IS called the "Wind Tunnel".

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I thought about putting a hole on my 500 but since I wanted to upgrade to a new system I saved myself the work and time and went with the above.

Well this is probably the most affordable full tower case you can buy (~$75 shipped). Go here- http://store.yahoo.com/akidacomputer/fultow30supc.html. Directron.com sells this same case for $73 (not including shipping)- http://www.directron.com/honhai7a09001.html. The air flow is good also. Without any extra holes drilled and two 80mm Sunon fans blowing out above the power supply, and a slot fan, my Duron 850 never gets any hotter than 34C at full load. There's also a ton of expansion ports (6x5.25", 6x3.25") and the plate that the mobo rests on unhooks from the back easily.

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thread Information