Watercooling question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Watercooling question

Watercooling question

In about a month I am getting everything in my PC watercooled, CPU, HDD's, chipset, videocard, memmory and PSU. I'm planning to use a fridge @12c Celsius (not lower to stop condensation) for the water. I'm building my own waterbloks from oxygen free cupper, about 2 or 3 times bigger than normal.
    My question is how cool can you get your CPU with watercooling, especialy at rates higher than 1,4 GHz? Do I need a peltier?
    THNX for the help!!!!

------------------
    Half-Life Counter-Strike rulez the world !!!
    Overclocking is like a game, try it some more and you'll get better results.....

Anything below room temp will cause condensation. Keep the radiator cooled at room temp with fans. Water cooling is good at room temp cooling. Anything lower and you will need insolation on everything. This is one advantage of using a peltier with water cooling. The water is warmer and does not cause condensation. Only the CPU, cold plate, and peltier need to be insolated (and under the CPU).

As for your question. If you have large enough tubing, pump, radiator, water block... then you should have no problem keeping everything at room temp (or very close to it). If any one componant is not up to par then the system temp will be higher. Most basic water cooling systems do a pretty good job and are usually limited by the fans on the radiator or the water pump volume.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I highly suggest against it. In all likelyhood, your fridge will run 24/7 until it blows up. Fridges are designed only to remove the little bits of heat that seeped out of the insulation. They are not designed to remove the 100+ watts that your system is going to put out.

------------------
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Casedge modding:
    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~tw
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Thanks for your reply, I had never thought about that. Im trying to get cooling from an welding machine now. It takes a lot of heat more than a few hundred watt's. And I can get special hoses and connectors from the office very cheap. Maybe I'l try to get a massive radiator. I saw an old radiator at school of aprox. 100x30x5 cm with a lot of verry thin fins. Maybe that will help.

Maybe I'll just try the fridge cause I can get some for free, so there's no problem if it doesn't work. I only got it running aprox. 4 hours a day, when im sitting behind it. My digidoc will warn me if the temps exceed 50C or higher.

------------------
    Overclocking is like a game, try it some more and you'll get better results.....

As to condensation, under room temp is just fine without insulating, as long as the humidity of the room is low, there is a chart at the heatsinkguide.com under peltiers, that giges a rough idea of ambient to humidity equations. As to the fridge, I've been running this same old fridge for about 18 months, and never have a prob. I even dropped the freezer section in my anti-water mix about a year ago, and it's still tickin.

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Firstly I'm currently running a water-cooled CPU in a room temp of 24C with a coolant temp of 12C and there is no condensation problems at all. This is probably just above due point and around 10C or lower could start to be a problem.

I'd also suggest you save yourself a lot of work and just buy a quality copper water block from either DangerDen or Overclockershideout. They are both very efficient CNC'd copper blocks.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 06-16-2001).]

BladeRunner, thanks for the advice about the waterblocks, but my goal was to get rid of all ( or at least most) fans in my case. So that means I want to cool the cpu hdd's chipset PSU etc.
    I think you see that buying waterblocks is VERRY expensive. Im a student, so I dont have that much money too spend.
    The second problem is, I cant get much watercooling products over here in Holland. So I have to buy them somewhere else and let them ship them over here. I think that would get a bit expensive too, cause I think that would get quite heavy.

------------------

Ok, and I'm currently doing the same, water-cooling everything, (and using underground water-cooling).

My point was you, won't make anything better yourself than what you can currently buy with ease. It all depends on what the materials cost but copper can be a pain to work with. I too will have to make some of my blocks but I'll take the easy route where I can.

Thread Information