How to: Overclock a AMD K6-2?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How to: Overclock a AMD K6-2?

How to: Overclock a AMD K6-2?

Ok, so heres the question...i have a AMD K6-2 500MHz. And a DFI Mobo(K6XV3+/66 Rev.BB+).
    I was wondering, if i want to overclock...with about buying a new fan, how much higher can i go? I have no idea how good, or what my fan's name is....but...its a standard one!

------------------
    I 0wn j00!

If you want to go much higher,
    you will need a decent fan/heatsink. You can probably get that chip up to 550 with a little voltage boost, but be warned the K6-2 runs quite hot at that speed. I wouldn't even think about overclocking it without a good heatsink/fan, and some thermal grease.

If you really don't care about the chips lifespan, you could probably boost the chip to 600 using the 2x remapped multiplier, but this will require 2.7 or 2.8V core (way outside the 2.4V recommended limit), and produce enough heat to fry bacon on.

Ok, in summary if you don't want to buy a new heatsink/fan, don't even think about overclocking it. You will simply fry the chip, and unlike the Gigabyte motherboards you don't have thermal clock throttling to prevent the chip from dying.

Fallguy

Uhm...hehe...i have ZERO idea what your talking about! I never tried overclocking, and never even bothered to read about it...but, if u could tell me how to overclock, step by step....it would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
    I 0wn j00!

I/ll point you to a post that has good info
    for k6 ocing
    http://66.33.6.89/aptiva/Forum2/HTML/001179.html

87 replies Jah

------------------
    IBM 266p2@266 scsi4.? g400 DSLbyintel NT
    "JAH LOVE"
    Gainward3vba
    800celly@800
    Gainward gforce2 450
    256 tonicom 166
    dslxintel

I would not bother with overclocking a K6-2. The most you can safely get without frying bacon on your chip is about 50mz which will be pretty hard for your eyes to see a difference.

Now the duron that is a different story. This Machine has a duron 600mhz in it, it is 28 degrees C in the room, I'm overclocking it to 950mhz with slightly better than OEM cooling and the chip is at 50C.

I had a k6-2 and unless you don't care about the chip (they are pretty cheap now) or just want to try it for the thrill then I would not bother trying to overclock that chip.
    1.1 Gig Thunderbird
    Abit kt7 raid
    256MB Corsair Cas2
    Radeon LE
    SoundBlaster Live Value

Sorry,
    I'll try not to revert to technical babble......lol

My point was that the K6-2 you have won't overclock without better cooling. So don't even think about trying to overclock, you will damage the chip. The performance increase would be negligible anyway I'm afraid.

Save your money for a new motherboard/processor.

Fallguy

I must be lucky...I have a K6-II 300 @ 450/2.4v with a $5 HSF, on an FIC VA-503+

I get a lockup going from 550 to 575 on my k6-2, gigabyte GA-5AX

------------------
    I won't bore you with my system specs..
    I won't bore you with my system specs..

Thread Information