Need help from all HWC GURU'S.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need help from all HWC GURU'S.

Need help from all HWC GURU'S.

I have had my Abit KT7A-Raid and T-bird 1.1@1321 for since February, and for the most part have had very few problems with it.

Just recently it has started locking up. I have noticed a few things that are weird. This only happens when the system is being stressed for over 10-15 minutes. Here's the weird part after that period of time I start seeing my Secondary Master and Slave drives flashing on and off. Usually when it starts doing that it locks up. If it doesn't lock right away and I go into my computer neither of those CD Roms show up. If I lightly tap on the side of the computer the both light up again, and the system unlocks for about ten seconds and locks up again. I can do this time after time. When I restart my bios is only recognizing my Primary Master and neither of my Secondary drives. When I get into windows they both show up, for a while and the problem repeats itself. If I leave it off for about 15 minutes and it gets a chance to cool down the bios will then recognize both of the Secondary drives again. I have checked my IDE cables and even tried other ones. Nothing has helped. I want to stress that they are not hooked up to either of the RAID controllers. I am convinced this is something to do with heat, but it doesn't make any sense. Even with the side of my case off this happens. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help. Do you guys think my board is going bad? I forgot to mention I also reflashed my bios and it didn't help.

AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

You say that it does stuff when you tap the case. It is probably a loose connection somewhere.

Is the motherboard securely fixed down? Check if any of the mobo screws are loose.

Try plugging the drives into the RAID connectors (IDE 3 and 4). As long as you don't fiddle with the RAID Bios, they will operate normally and independently.

What BIOS revision/4in1 drivers are you using?

------------------
    MY GOD!!! A RANDY SQUIRREL!
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Yup I agree. If tapping on the case unlocks the system then there is probably a loose connection. Maybe you just have to push the connnections firmly into their respective sockets. However, maybe there is something wrong with the board? Just a thought.

------------------
    AMD Tbird (AXIA) 1Ghz @ 1Ghz w/ OCZ gladiator
    Asus A7V
    384megs crucial cas2
    Leadtek 32meg Geforce2 GTS Pro (225/420)
    Soundblaster Live Value
    Western Digital 20gig 7200rpm (UDMA 100)
    Nec 40x cdrom
    Sony 12x8x32 CD-RW
    17" KDS Avitron flat screan (1024x768 @ 85hz)
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

Justintime Guest
    true, could be IDE coneectors, power connectors what not coming loose from the PCB

------------------
    Jr

I was thinking loose connections also. I have already checked all of them once, I will check them all again. I will also try plugging them into IDE 4 and see if that helps.

Any ideas why it only does this under stress or when it is heating up? I just doesn't make any sense that the bios would recognize them after it has been off for a while, but after it has been on it never recognizes them.

I am using bios WW, I have found this to be the most stable and overclockable for me. I am also using 4in1 version 4.26.

I appreciate all of the advice.
    AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

Hmmm... if it's not any connectors loose have you checked that the wires in the connectors a properly in place?

It could be a bad soldering somewhere.. a longshot, but a possibility...

------------------
    Honey, i'm so SORRY for spending that cash on my watercooling rig... so sorry... Ouch!!
    ugh!

My KT7a has had some really weird problems in the past.

Have you installed any new hardware or fiddled with it recently?

what OS are you running?

You could try the KT7 FAQ - http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm

This is very good for problem solving.

------------------
    MY GOD!!! A RANDY SQUIRREL!
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Sorry it's taken so long to reply back. I have been working long hours and haven't had much time to fiddle with it.

I have rechecked all of my connections, and it didn't help. I am now going to try using IDE 4 and see if it helps. I will also check the wires inside the connectors.

CenturionStrategy---I haven't installed any new hardware or fiddled with it. It just started happening for no good reason. Thanks for the link, but I have already surfed though that FAQ and didn't find anything that pertains to my problem.

Thanks for all the help guys. I finally figured out what was wrong. The power cable going to one of my CDROMS had loose connectors inside of it. Thanks again for all of your help.

Told you!

------------------
    Honey, i'm so SORRY for spending that cash on my watercooling rig... so sorry... Ouch!!
    ugh!

Thread Information