Perry Mason: The Case Of the Unsupported Case
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Perry Mason: The Case Of the Unsupported Case

Hybrid View

Perry Mason: The Case Of the Unsupported Case

* * A N S W E R . P O L L . B E L O W * *

Like doin' weird things. Like bein' an AMI repeat mobo customer. Especially when few remember AMI from BIOS (okay they're coming back) and even fewer knew they make mboards.

So AMI is closing out this single-processor slot A and I buy it directly from them online. Now Antec makes this great case. But the board doesn't fit the case.

Antec bent over backwards, but they only make the same I/O backplate as Abit, Asus, Gigabyte, Tyan and the like. Sent me all the templates they had. Wrote me it was up to the mboard mfr.

AMI is another story. They tell me
    (1) get a different case. If their board doesn't fit my case, it must be the wrong case.
    (2) they don't know what case I should get. I should log onto www.motherboards.com and have a look see.
    (3) they don't know the kinds of cases that work with the Megathon. Find out from the authorized AMI dealers, resellers etc. at the AMI website.

Am fuming. So here's your chance to put in your two cents' worth, because a penny won't do.

Would you
    • Tell AMI to issue a call tag for the !@#$ board and refund every red cent
    • Make your own template out of cardboard, cutting holes to line up with the ports
    • Find some other workaround

Would appreciate your feedback. My Panaflos came looking for all the world like they need to be soldered, possibly onto the board. Can't solder anything onto the board if the board's not supported up front.

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

[This message has been edited by ST:TNG (edited 04-24-2001).]

Juror No.1 recommends (3)- "Ghetto Rig" just tie on a piece of string and hang it on the wall- it'll work just fine Set the PSU and drives on a nearby table or maybe put up a bookshelf! Or, don't, and just let the drives dangle by the molex connectors... the damned things are always in so tight, they'll probably be self-supporting!
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Originally posted by grover:
    just let the drives dangle by the molex connectors... the damned things are always in so tight, they'll probably be self-supporting!
    LOL

so very very true...so many pain staking moments trying to get them dang things off.

if it were me i would do like grover said, and "Ghetto Rig" it some way or another (as my first option) and if i didn't like the way it turned out, tell AMI to get my flow back. my two cents

DUDE here is some advice dont use the port back plate at all u wont sacrifice anything!!Alex D

------------------
    The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm
    The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm

Qool. Am reading so many archived posts about cooling solutions, didn't wanna risk what pulling the backplate off might do. Ambient air, air flow and all that.

Y'know I never had any problem letting the guts spill out kinda cornucopia like at Thanksgiving. Only ever had one instance of a loose molex and then only off a splitter.

Nope them HDDs will dangle jus' fine, thanks. It's the onboard IDE controllers that don't behave. So need to find a way to dangle the board so that the IDE controllers are below the baseline for the HDDs. But then it won't dangle. Oh my.

------------------

Epoxy the cord onto the power supply, then knot it around a nail and hang the whole rig from that

------------------
    Asus A7V
    Duron 650@850@1.80V

Excellent. Or, as Spock would say, "Fascinating". Oughtta work great with my Enermax. It's got all the pwr leads to the board encased in mesh. Probably won't require any epoxy. You must be one o' those creative types.

Just wrote AMI they could issue a call tag and replace the board with something they didn't screw up bass ackwards (I spelled it out for them) or they could pick up the board and refund every penny I paid.

Have you ever heard of there bein' two types of ATX form factors? No not microATX. Two different types of ATX cases. One for the real world where PS/2 comes before USB and some other mysterious type for boards with USB before PS/2.

Did see an FIC SD11 at eBay that looked just as bass ackwards as the Megathon, but I didn't let on I'd seen it. Basically told AMI if they didn't believe me, they could fly out here. There's a PC store on every corner. They can go to PC Club and Fry's Electronics. Not a single ATX case there fits into this alternate species of design reqd for the AMI board.

Now the backplate, assuming it were to be removed, is very near where the back Panaflo is supposed to be blowin' air out. The Panaflo across from it sucks it in. Is air gonna be gettin' in the back right next to where the poor Panaflo's tryin' to blow it out?

What about all those OCers who monitor temps with and without the lid of the case. Wouldn't I run the risk of screwing something up? There's the Athlon 750, 384MB PC100 CAS2, nVIDIA 32MB AGP, HoonTech iPhone card, Hauppauge WinTV card, K56Flex modem card, 10Mbps (I've been typing MB all day) ISA NIC, two IBM 45GB 7200rpm UDMA100s, Samsung 1.5GB HDD for TEMP, TMP, pagefile, swp etc, Plextor CD-RW.

All in a desktop case. If you saw the Antec, it's taller and should work about as well as a good midtower.

Aw h*ll my warranties are all gonna expire if I don't have a board I can plug stuff into and fire stuff up to know whether it's DOA and hasta go back.

Assume I keep the Antec case. What mboard can't I live without, so I can start bidding on it at eBay?

Do you prefer
    • Abit KA7-100
    • Asus K7M-RM
    • ChainTech 7ATA
    • FIC SD11
    • Gigabyte GA-71X or -71XE (I don't think the GA-7DX has an ISA slot
    • Microstar MSI 6167 or 6195 K7Pro
    • Tyan Trinity K7 S2380

Would like something that supported UDMA100 onboard if possible but not essential.

What's more important is seeing if there's a board that doesn't have any VIA chipsets. Someone at the peripherals forum wrote that my Hauppauge WinTV card doesn't get along with any VIA chipsets in any way, shape or form. Probably shoulda posted it at the video form, but didn't really know that much about what a TV card was or what it did. All I knew was that I wanted to watch StarTrek in the upper rhs.

Have a buncha soldering or less indelicate fan connection questions. Where is Paul Drake at a time like this? Paul Drake, Paul Drake everywhere, except when you need him.

------------------

You must have bought a mobo meant for a Hewlett Packard or a Compaq machine that had a proprietary design case/atc back plane.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Actually, I was joking about the whole ghetto rig thing, but I've seen it done before- actually, it provides excellent cooling! When you think about it, the entire room becomes a giant case, and the whole shebang stays at ambient temps. I run my PC with both sides off the case, and a 20" box fan blowing through it

like seb2 says- if it fits in your ATX case except for that little rectangle for the built-in jacks, just take it off and don't worry about it. It won't hurt a thing!

Bad news, serb2. Since it's a desktop case --albeit a nice Antec premium desktop case -- but, because the motherboard lies horizontally, the weight of the slot CPU and HSF cause the mobo to sag. And a bendy mboard isn't a trendy mboard. grover need your sense of humor, and you too monkapotomus.

Y'know, S_Klass, you made an excellent point. It validated me. Sometimes, right before the aha of realization comes, there's the lunacy of insanity. Thought I was going crazy. There is no such board. They screwed up. Plain and simple. But couldn't see it for the nose on my face.

Contacted the Better Business Bureau about American Megatrends ignoring me. Howsomever AMI advertised it as Athlon = ATX. It could be ATX or microATX but nothing in between. And the ATX standard was out way before AMI designed that board. Who ever heard of a backwards ATX form. And on and on. And I fume some more.

Have two screwdrivers in there now acting as elevators or tall mounts, except they ain't plastic and they ain't grounded. So obviously I can't put power to the board when it's jury-rigged.

You're right. HDDs are fun to jury rig. Methinks a mobo is not. You should see that board sag. And it's not like weighting it down somewhere else is going to have an equal and opposite reaction and cause the droopy part to perk up.

Jurors one through twelve, may we have your verdict(s)?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ST:TNG (edited 05-05-2001).]

Actually I have seen a "Getto Rig" befor that had all the parts attached to a coat rack for ease of movement. I have also seen lots of labs that test hardware (Anand, Tom's...) that just have a board with some anti-static foam for the motherboard and all the other componants strapped down around it. That way you can easily swap out parts for comparisons.

As for the plate. You can take the I/O sheild that matches the best and enlarge the holes to fit. Also the idea above to remove the I/O shield should not effect cooling much. Most of the time the fans in the back are set to pull air out. Extra vents will probable not effect this.

About the sagging motherboard, you can place some anti-static foam sheets under the motherboard, like the stuff that shipps with most motherboards. I have done this several times. Even had old 286 cases and had to use the foam and zip ties because only two holes lined up. I also had no I/O shiels and had to take a jig saw to the case to make room for the connectors on the micro ATX board I was dropping in there (P166 out of a Sony system). Hell it had a heatsink glued on the Pentium, so I zip tied a fan on top. It was a free-be system for an old lady at work that needed an internet box to e-mail her family out of town. The system was pretty good eccept for the 360MB hard drive I had to double space to fit everything (Windows98, IE 5.5, and MS Works). At least I scrounged up 32MB EDO memory for the thing. Set the reset button as the power button. It was fun to build.

If you must make a new I/O shield, you can get white plastic sheets that are about 4" x 8" and come in varying thicknesses. They only cost about $2 and are very easy to work with. You can score it with a ruler and knife and brake it. You can drill it very easy. It can be heated and bent. It is easy to glue (you can even use regular model glue for this). Carve it, sand it, it does not matter. It will not split or crack it you put screws in it and it probly strong inough to thread screw into (you might need to glue a few layers together around the screw hole to give enough for the screw to hold into).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Not to burst your bubble or anything but i have a hauppage win tv tuner and it works fine on my kt7 raid

------------------
    "Years ago i discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down"
    Abit kn9 sli
    Enermax psu 500W
    amd 64 3800
    2 GB Corsair Ram
    BFG Geforce 7800GT
    2 x 250 Sata on raid

Thread Information