BIOS ROM Checksum ERROR......please help me with this.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: BIOS ROM Checksum ERROR......please help me with this.

BIOS ROM Checksum ERROR......please help me with this.

Well it is about overclocking.

Duron 650

Mainboard DFI AK75-EC REV A (KT133A) supprots multiplier change up to 12,5.

So what is the problem.

I whant my Duron to work @ 866MHZ or 133x6,5 , and I would get that by simply rising FSB up to 133MHZ that MB supports by default (KT133A)

When I do that I get that ugly message BIOS ROM Checksum ERROR, searching FLOPPY, please insert ...blah, blah, and nothing.

Then I tried with mulitplier 6 and FSB 133 and it works like charm @ 800MHZ great.

then I have tried 100FSB and multiplier 8,5 and it works O.K. @ 850 but I whant 133FSB.

then I tried to get speed oround 866 by uping the FSB to 102MHZ and keeping the 8,5 mulitiplier to eliminate high FSB as reason for the ugly error mesage.

Yes again I get that mesage but not imediately but after first restart.

So my question to you people is: do I have problem with CPU or with MB??

CPU runs @ 850 with default voltage (1,6V) and uping the voltage up to 1,85 did not help at all.

PC refuses to post with multiplier 9 (FSB 100) not even with 1,85V, and that is strange to me becouse it works @ 1,6V @ 850 and only 50MHZ more and it is dead, totaly dead not even POST screen nothing

Right now I don`t have any other CPU or posibility to check MY CPU in to different MB.

Thanx for any help

BTW temp @ 133x6=800 is oround 34Celsius, I have good coolers and good chasis cooling, and I have added thermal pad to chipset cooler.

BTW DURON code is

AKCAXXXXXX
    ZXXXXXXX

and it is light red, or maybe better known as purple

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Sounds like you've found the limit of your particular chip for your cooling solution and voltage options.

BIOS checksum errors are what I've found to occur at the upper fringes of CPU capability, especially on VIA KT chipsets. With better cooling, it might go farther, but it might need more voltage to get it there. I'd probably try to get ~140 x 6 for ~840 if I were you. Highest bus you can get and land around 850.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett

--------------

Dual Palomino @ 1.9 GHz
    3 X15 Cheetah's in Raid
    2GB DDR SDRAM CAS 2 @ 400 MHz
    Radeon II
    smokin' crack...
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

outside THX for speedy reply but MB is f*****g problem.

Is not like it is bad MB it is very good, and cheap, but it is not maded with mind of overclocker, and thoes fancy options for multiplier are just mask.

Thing is that when you start PC with this DFI AK75 MB, the first few seconds only default values for CPU voltage are active, in this case 1,6V.

By the time when BIOS settings take effect, CPU is allready stoned if you take it to high, and you get error messages.

Now simple solution is to make higher default voltage for CPU and I did just that, so now for CPU default is 1,8V (pencile trick) and in BIOS I have setuped 1,75 becouse that is enough for 866 to be 100% stabile, though I still need to test that stability.

After this annoying expirience I can only say, where the haell all does JUMPERS are gone, I whant JUMPERS for everything. ... .

I am glad the solution was so simple, and reason why I have not think this before is becouse I have seen tons of Durons on this MB to work instantly @ 866, but they was not read core like mine, only gren or blue.

So I would say this AKCA red core is not best thing that you can buy for overclocking, but who cares now. I whanted 866 and I got 866, and this small thing is realy fast with 133FSB.

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Ahhh.... I should have thought about the default voltage problem. My first thought was default multiplier, since many (including myself) have had that problem - when running a 200FSB Athlon at 133FSB+ and the thing won't boot because the default multiplier tries to make it boot at an insane clock speed. I forgot that the same thing can happen to the voltage on mobo's that use jumperless bios. I had the same problem, but had just forgotten about it.

Good thing pencils are cheap.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett

--------------

Dual Palomino @ 1.9 GHz
    3 X15 Cheetah's in Raid
    2GB DDR SDRAM CAS 2 @ 400 MHz
    Radeon II
    smokin' crack...
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Thread Information