Some Q's (casemods and watercooling)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Some Q's (casemods and watercooling)

Some Q's (casemods and watercooling)

Planning on using one large w/b aka "The Duckman-Waterblock" on a mobo with a cpu socket. On my CUSL2 there are capacitors pretty close to the socket and they're pretty high as well. Of course i'm going to use a 71W peltier, but i need to get "above" the caps with the w/b. So, i was thinking of using a cu-coldplate that's 10-15mm thick.
    What do you think is the pros and cons using this thick coldplate? Is there anything else i could do about the caps? Any ideas about the waterblock/peltier/coldplate setup?

I was also planning on putting the radiator inside the case with 2x120mm fans and some kind of hose setup for it. But it would help me a lot if i could open the casedoor straight out (e.g as a garagedoor och a usual door). So, i would like to put some hinges and maybe some hydraulics to hold the door on the place. The case is a HX08...
    Any ideas?

------------------
    Honey, i'm so SORRY for spending that cash on my watercooling rig... so sorry... Ouch!!
    ugh!

I just took a look at Anandtechs pic (god I love anandtech's motherboard scans ), and god damnit, that's a huge amount of clustered capcitors! But I do see a possible solution.

De-solder the four capacitors to the left of the socket (look at Anandtech's pic for reference), and solder on some leads so you can move them out of the way. I'm not sure how you are going to make the waterblock stay on though, since the CUSL2 doesn't have any convenient holes around the socket (like a lot of Socket A boards). The waterblock would also partly cover the chipset heatsink, even if you cut off the sides of the waterblock.

If you fail to come up with anything you could swap the CUSL2 for my BF6 or my BE6-][(plus some money/stuff), drop me a note (oestuan@c2i.net) and we'll discuss it. If you choose to do so I can pretty much solve all the mounting problems for you. How's that for service ?

As for the larger coldplate solution, it'll take away the lowest temps, since the peltier will be farther from the cpu core, but the temps will be VERY stable - with little jumping up and down. Keep in mind that such a fat block of copper will be heavy. As for the rad...I really like the TNProud2B setup, but that's with two 80mm fans, and that's pretty much how you're running it now..I think I saw a pic of your setup some time ago.

What you could do is separate the side panel into an upper and a lower part, that way you could mount the radiator securely onto the side panel, while the lower part could be easily hinged(at the back) for easy system maintenance. If you haven't already done so I suggest cutting away part of the guide rails for the side panel, so you don't have to pull it ALL the way back when taking it off, just 2~3cm and then you can take it off.

And damnit man, I really didn't need to see that movie. I still feel pain when thinking about it

------------------
    Carpe noctem!

[This message has been edited by D|sElMiNk (edited 04-18-2001).]
    Carpe noctem!

I have been planning on desolder and wire the caps or even better; turn 'em over to the other side. That requires some modding on the mobo-slide and i'm not sure if they'll fit cuz of the other sidepanel. That i'll prolly measure very carefully before starting...

Well, sorry Disel... I'm really in love with this board... the best one from Asus (my opinion)...

Hmmm... oki, i'm not looking for extreme cooling temps.. i'm satisfied with 10-20C on the CPU under load.... But it'll sure be one heavy pack!!

LOL!!! My ex-girlfriend almost did that to me for spending that kinda money on my last h20-setup..

------------------
    Honey, i'm so SORRY for spending that cash on my watercooling rig... so sorry... Ouch!!
    ugh!

Hmm..if you move the caps you won't have to use such a fat coldplate, but you still have mounting issues This is why I really loved AMD for putting holes around the socket into the motherboard layout specification.

Only Asus board I've ever had was the P3V4X, which was a slight disappointment, if I'm going T-Bird I'll be using an A7V133 though.

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

Yea, i've seen those holes.. they look perfect for custom made cooling. Wonder why asus never thought of that.. o'well..
    Hmm.. maybe i should by a waterblock instead from #Rotor and maybe sell Duckmans waterblock or keep it for future projects.

------------------
    ugh!

Keep it, you never know when it might come in handy. If you could see my room right now you'd see that this is the philosophy I live by

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

You should see my appartment!!
    It has computer parts spread from the bedroom to the kitchen and finally to livingroom...
    Getting pretty tired of it..

------------------
    ugh!

Hehe..I've grown used to it, my girlfriend complains from time to time, but she's getting more and more used to it as well

I'll take some pics and show them here a little later on stay tuned

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

Of course, i'm always tuned in!!

BTW, do use ICQ?? I've tried to reach you there....

------------------
    ugh!

Sorry, I don't like ICQ, it's too intruding and resource hungry. I only used it two years ago or so, talked a lot with a swedish guy about Zelda64 and lots of other stuff. But I've got enough with my e-mail accounts and irc.

Download mIRC, hop onto EFnet (irc.telia.se is my favourite server), and join #cola or #hardocp. Brian "Duckman" Holmes is an operator (like me) at #hardocp, but I haven't seen Kyle or Steve there.

If you're feeling extremely needy you've got my number

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

Ok I've uploaded the pic now, I guess I took a little too few shots (since the pic breaks up a bit), but you get the general idea. You really should've seen the floor, and the area under the table though

My room

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

Thread Information