CMOS Checksum error help me out ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CMOS Checksum error help me out ?

CMOS Checksum error help me out ?

Ok help me out here. Had a Duron 600@900 for a long time ran fine no problems. Ok I got this 1.1gig TBird put that one in ran fine for a few days. The TBird was fine but just wanted to go back to the Duron to check some things. Well put the Duron and system goes bong bong Checksum Error insert system disk. Ok put win98 boot disk and boots but finds no readable drives in the system, not C D E or F? I have changed the Duron and TBird back and forth several times. TBird is fine Duron same CMOS Checksum error. The Duron cannot find a drive where the TBird can, seems when the Duron it sets my CMOS to First Boot Device "Floppy" instead of ATA Raid or whatever. Anyway what is goin on here?
    The system listed below is correct except I using a 1.1gig Athlon instead of the Duron.

System
    Win98SE
    KT7-Raid bios 6.00PG
    Duron 600/GW FOP32-1 (Dow Corning 340 Silicone heat sink Compound)
    ATX Mid Tower Case
    Front 8X8 case fan, Rear 6X6 case fan
    335w Enermax PS
    Crucial pc133 C-2 128mb
    V5 5500
    WD 20GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 15.2gb 7200rpm HDD
    Pioneer 10x DVD
    HP CDR
    SB Live
    USR 56k modem (PCI)

Justintime Guest
    Try resetting default values or clearing the CMOS when installing the duron, not sure how this can happen, but it may be due to the size of the L2 cache changing?!
    have you tried the duron in another system?

------------------
    Jr

you need to change the settings back for the duron at 900 by holding down the INSERT key when booting, I get that error when I am overclocking to much..

hope that helps..

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

http://bszone.shacknet.nu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Go there and have fun!
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

Think you should go with the advice of the people who know your board or your situation.

Can only tell you that every change on my FIC VA-503+ 'takes out' the IDE controllers, in order: primary then secondary. Thereby 'taking out' the system and any boot sectors it might've otherwise considered loading from.

Caused by a heat dispersion problem at almost that exact spot on the mboard. Not an isolated problem. Have read about it elsewhere at hardwarecentral. Called the Cold Reboot Problem.

Solution is to keep reseating the IDE connectors. Over and over and over again. Until it no longer beeps or gives err msgs. Occasionally reseating the RAM also helps. Basically the board just likes to be handled. Or touched, I guess.

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

yeahh this is strange, look at this question then !!!
    I get into BIOS just one time, change something or donīt change something !!!
    and Save settings or just leave, then I canīt get in again by pressing the del button. ???
    I can only get into BIOS when I clear the CMOS jumper, strange mother****er ?
    Itīs an Duron 750 on a Abit KT7A-RAID.
    Also I have an Abit BP6 with dual Cellys (havenīt had one problem with that, why is the KT7A-RAID messing with me ?!?!?!)

------------------

AMD Duron 750 Mhz, 768 MB
    Dual Celeron 366@550Mhz, 256 MB
    P2 350Mhz, 192MB
    P-100Mhz, 48MB
    P-90Mhz, 16MB
    P-75Mhz, 40MB
    486Dx2/66Mhz, 36MB
    386/??Mhz, ??MB
    ftp1. Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG, Abit AT7 v1.1, XP 1800@2300 0,13u, 512MB TwinMOS PC-2700 cl2
    ftp2. Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG, Abit AT7 v1.2, XP 1800@2300 0,13u, 512MB TwinMOS PC-2700 cl2
    backup. Chieftec Fulltower, Abit KT7A-R v1.3 XP-M 2000+ 3x256MB TwinMOS PC-166
    Workstation. (Not yet ready)

Sly devil isn't she? Anything for a little TLC.
    Anyways, I had the same problem with my KT7-RAID. Got a processor replacement, popped it in and got that error message. Each time I would go into CMOS, change the setting, but when I hit save my screen would go blank, no error beeps at all. I could only get my video back by clearing the CMOS and reseating the CPU.
    I heard this could be caused by the RTC battery getting weak or by bad RAM and those were quickly ruled out. I eventually gave up after a few days and just sent for a replacement. Hope you don't have to, these guys take FOREVER

as of last I checked the abit board is no longer on amd's recomended list. this is because of a reboot problem at higher speeds.

when I save settings and exit from the bios at anything above 1300mhz I have to hard power off and then power back on. then it works fine.

also.. over 1333 I get the checksum error that Ramr is experienceing.

I think it is just settings and it is wanting to run the duron at 1.2ghz

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

http://bszone.shacknet.nu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Go there and have fun!
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

Ok thanks for all of the help but nothing has worked so far. It still boots Checksum Error, incert System disk. As it seems to not see my hard drives at all. Also from there it will not allow me to enter the BIOS to make changes. I have both drives on the ata100 controller. When I put the TBird back in and boot and go into BIOS it has changed the boot sequence to Floppy, Floppy, Floppy, instead of ATA100, ATA100, ATA 100. Also does not id my DVD rom or CD Rom either. But once I reset that it is good to go with the TBird? Think I will try what ST:TNG suggested, and maybe put the drive on the standard controller and see if it find the drive there, this is strange.

Ok folks have tried all I know, is it time to call Abit and get a new Bios Rom chip? And thanks all of you for the assistance.

You'll probably just have to get the whole board replaced. An advance warning: They require that you pay for shipping. This is the only place so far that I've encountered that does that. You have to send them $15 for a BIOS chip replacement and $25 for a Mobo replacement so it's just better to send the board off altogether.
    By the way, send a money order or certified check to speed things up although I don't know if it helps. They told me it would take 2-3 weeks for a replacement.

Only 1 week has gone by for me

By the way, I checked AMD's recommended mobo list and the only Abit board they list is the KT7.

[This message has been edited by Grimlock (edited 04-15-2001).]

Thanks for info Grimlock, but dang I be dead in the water for maybe a month, shoot? So maybe I just get a Asus or MSI board and forget Abit all together. Man I have had 5 or 6 Abit boards and never a problem. Oh well I bite the bullet?

You might want to check out this thread. It's probably too late already but at least it might explain some things.
    I'm going to get rid of my board when I get it and get something else. This seems to be a growing problem with KT7s

[This message has been edited by Grimlock (edited 04-15-2001).]

Thread Information