Athlon Tbird 1GHz Won't play nice above 1GHz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Athlon Tbird 1GHz Won't play nice above 1GHz

Athlon Tbird 1GHz Won't play nice above 1GHz

Hi there,

I think I've tried just about everything to get my 1gee to run stable above its designated 1GHz size.

I had it up and running at 1.1GHz, although my games would crash. The crashes did not stop until I was back down to 1GHz. Sigh, this 'bird' had so much potential, now I think it won't fly farther then its nest!

I tried raising the voltage to no avail. I unlocked the multiplyers and played around with the FSB as well, although nothing seemed to let it post above 1.1GHz. It was rather unstable at 1.1 as well.

Please help, what am I to do?

My specs are below.
    (BTW...my core is ARGA)

------------------
    Athlon T-bird 1GHz
    Globalwin WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 55cfm 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133
    384MB SDRAM
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB hard drive
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB hard drive
    Creative Soundblaster Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeFroce 2 GTS 32MB
    NEC Multisync XV17+
    Realtek ethernet card
    XP 1700
    WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133 rev7
    256PC133
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeForce2 GTS 32MB
    CTX 21"

What temps are you running at while all this is happening ? And you are using thermal paste right ?

------------------
    http://www.digie.net/sep

I suspect that your problem is related to something other than the CPU itself - my guess is the Soundblaster Live. Here's what I would do"

1. remove the soundblaster live card from the system and uninstall all of the Soundblaster/Creative software.
    2. remove the Realteck network card also and uninstall all of its software and drivers.

3. You didn't indicate if you had "unlocked" the CPU so I suspect it is not. Using that assumption. Boot up the CPU and go into the bios and set the CPU core voltage to max (1.85) and the FSB to 110 Mhz. Save the changes and allow it to go into windows. Assuming it is Ok, run your most extensive application (3d game preferably) for about 10 minutes. If all is OK, do a reboot and go back into the bios and verify temps. The Asus board is known for giving high temp readings (as much as 10 degrees C higher than actual). With this in mind, anything under 60C should be OK.
    4. If your successful, repeat step #3 at the next higher bus speed in the bios. Keep repeating this step until you do reach instability. Then back it done 3 or 4 Mhz in the FSB.
    5. If you find you can go much higher without the sound card and the network card, re-install the network card along with its drivers. Verify stability as mentioned above. If your successful, this indicates the SB live is causing the problem. If successful go to step 6.
    6. Install the soundblaster live in the 2 or 3 PCI slot from the AGP slot. Install the drivers. after installation, do a reboot and verify proper operation as mentioned above. If your not successful, this indicates the Soundblaster Live is the problem.

There are posts all over the net with people having problems with the Soundblaster live cards with the KT133a chipset. Via admitted to the problem jst this past week and has promised a resolution (i.e. bios fix) in the next week. Personally, I was having significant problems with my SB Live and have pulled it and am now using a Aureal Vortex2. All of my issues have now gone away.

------------------
    Need CPU Coolers, Slockets, Arctic Silver, etc.? Let me know.
    Need CPU Coolers, Slockets, Arctic Silver, etc.? Let me know.

Thanks for the responses. Yes I am using thermal paste, and have unlocked the multipliers on the CPU.

I will wait for the BIOS fix from VIA to correct the issue with the SB Live! as I need my PC to utilise sound for work purposes almost the whole day!

I am running at 45C, which, as mentioned, seems to be lower then the motherboard is actually showing right?

If there is no fix in a little while, I will try uninstalling the SB Live! and the realtek from the system and trying my luck from there.

Thanks once again for the great help!!

------------------
    Athlon T-bird 1GHz
    Globalwin WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 55cfm 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133
    384MB SDRAM
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB hard drive
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB hard drive
    Creative Soundblaster Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeFroce 2 GTS 32MB
    NEC Multisync XV17+
    Realtek ethernet card
    XP 1700
    WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133 rev7
    256PC133
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeForce2 GTS 32MB
    CTX 21"

I also have a SbLive and everything works well here. I've got a 481 mhz overclock on this 1000 tbird. Maybe the problem is the cpu itself witch is a bit old i think. Tell me those numbers after the ARGA code (like 0001 or sumthin like that). The first 2 digits show the year the cpu was made (00=2000, 01=2001) and the last 2 digits indicate the week (01 - week1, 04 = week4 = month1 = january ). I've had a AVHA core tbird 1000 before this cpu (witch burned btw ). It went to 1251. This wasn't so old 'cose my current cpu is AVIA core (avHa - avIa - alphabet). Yours is ARGA (witch is a long way from AVHA). Maybe that's the prob.
    Just my 2 cents.

------------------
    T-Bird 1000 @ 1490 (10 x 149) - AVIA core, Week 9 2001
    Abit KT7A-Raid
    128 Mb Kingston PC133 Cas2
    Creative GeForce2 GTS (220 / 370)
    Quantum Fireball AS 40Gb 7200RPM ATA100
    ADi Microscan E66 19" Monitor
    Bla...Bla...Bla
    +
    AMD 1GHZ KEYCHAIN
    AMD T-Bird 1400 @ 1577 @ 1.85v (9.5 x 166) AYHJA