tnt2 ultra probs
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: tnt2 ultra probs

Dutch Woman Guest

tnt2 ultra probs

i am trying to install my TNT2 ultra and for some reason nothing will work.
    i install the appriate drivers and windows tell me to reboot my PC, then i reboot and when it gets to display windows it just goes blank and nothing happens, i then reboot in safe mode and reinstall different drivers and the same thing happens over and over again.

i have tried about 10 different sets of drivers, and all typeess of OS's (WinME, Win2k pro, Win98SE). on my monitor pin 5 (V-sync) has busted off the cable could this be my problem? if so then why doesnt it happen to my GFDDR?

------------------
    D650@988 Week 30 FOP 38
    128 PC133 Hyundai
    Abit KT7 RAID
    SB live Value
    Leadtek Geforce(1) DDR rev B @155*350
    10/100 realtek
    Viewmaster 17'1600x1200
    seagate 13.6 7200 ATA 66
    seagate 20.0 7200 ATA 100
    maxtor 4.3 5400
    12X Hitachi GD-7500
    ricoh MP7040A

I had the same problem with my old regular V770 TNT2 and a 15" HP monitor. At the time I was dumbfounded at what caused it, but after reading about video card bios upgrades, I think I may have found the solution (I sold the TNT2 before finding out about the video bios upgrades). But usually new video card bios' correct problems with different monitors. This can be a dangerous process though. Go to http://www.m3dzone.com/files.php?dir...ocards/NVIDIA/ and get the program NVFlash (in Bios Tools), and I recommend getting bios version 2.05.20.02.00. Your card has a TV-Out correct? If so then get the file "ultrabt.rom" **Make sure your card has the brooktree TV-Out chipset on it!!! Also- after flashing to this new bios, you will most likely only be able to use the NVidia reference drivers and not the original card maufacturers drivers. Before you do anything, make sure you download the program "VGABIOS" (in Bios Tools at the web site), and make a dump of your current bios (you can do this in Windows). Make sure you have the DOS extender file dos4gw.exe (in Bios Tools also)- you will need this to run NVFlash also.

Using NVFlash:
    Copy NVFlash, dos4gw.exe, your dumped bios image, and the new bios image to a blank floppy. Hold "ctrl" while rebooting to bring up the boot menu. Boot into "Safe Mode Command Prompt."
    1.) Type "cd a:" (without quotes)
    2.) Type NVFlash -f"full name of bios image" (without quotes)
    3.) It will ask for confirmation, you may get a message saying that crc's mismatch- don't worry and go ahead with it.
    4.) Your screen will go blank for about 10 seconds and your keyboard lights will flash during this time (if they stop before the picture reappears, there's a problem)
    5.) Keyboard lights will flash really fast, stop and picture will reappear. Reboot, note the AGP screen(the first screen that appears during boot) to see if the bios has changed.
    6.) You will most likely need to reinstall the drivers (NVidia only) in Windows.

That should be about it. If you have any problems reflash the old bios image back to your card. I am not responsible for any damage you do to your pc/video card. This is a dangerous process and only should be attempted by a power user. If you fail to flash the bios correctly, you will need to put a PCI video card in your comp and run the monitor off that until reflash the bios of the AGP card.

Whew... That should be it. I really hope that's your problem, otheriwse my typing is in vain! lol

------------------
    Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

[This message has been edited by wrathchild_67 (edited 04-03-2001).]
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

wrathchild_67 could be right, but anyway here is another thought. I remember reading a similar problem recently (can’t remember the exact thread). That guy also had some problem with a TNT2 (I guess) when using Direct X apps, his problems were solved when he installed his monitor drivers so yours could be something like that (since it boots with safe mode 16 colors). Well it is just a thought, why don’t you try that too?

1. AMD AXP 2600+ @ 2.34Ghz (167x14) Cooled with CoolerMaster Aero7+ / Asus A7V8X-X (KT400) / 1GB 333MHz RAM / Maxtor 120Gb DMAX Plus 9 / GeCube Radeon 9600Pro / PixelView PlayTV Pro / Acer 21” Monitor / SB Live! / NEC ND-2500A 8x DVD±RW / Sony CRX-320EE Combo Drive

2. AMD AXP 1600+ (Stock cooler) / MSI K7T Turbo2 / 512Mb 133MHz RAM / Maxtor 80Gb DMAX Plus 9 / Gigabyte Radeon 9200 / Philips 17” Monitor / Sony CRX 160 CDRW / Asus E616 16x DVD

3. IBM 300PL PIII

im still using my 3yr old diamond v770 tnt2 32meg v-card, and i 3dmark (2000) 4500!

i love my tnt2

------------------
    I type slow and spell everything wrong.
    ...glad we've got that outta the way!

Dutch Woman Guest
    Originally posted by wrathchild_67:
    I recommend getting bios version 2.05.20.02.00. Your card has a TV-Out correct? If so then get the file "ultrabt.rom" **Make sure your card has the brooktree TV-Out chipset on it!!!
    how the hell do i know if it has that chipset? it is a hercules dynamite TNT2 ultra. BTW if i flash it with this BIOS, will it come up with hercules TNT2 ultra on boot up or will it come up with Nvidia TNT2 ultra?

------------------
    D650@988 Week 30 FOP 38
    128 PC133 Hyundai
    Abit KT7 RAID
    SB live Value
    10/100 realtek
    Viewmaster 17'1600x1200
    seagate 13.6 7200 ATA 66
    maxtor 4.3 5400
    12X Hitachi GD-7500
    ricoh MP7040A

[This message has been edited by Dutch Woman (edited 04-04-2001).]

It will come up as a NVidia TNT2 Ultra. And you will most likely not be able to use Hercules drivers anymore. If you want to find out if your Ultra has the brooktree chipset, install the card on a machine/monitor you know it will work on. In Windows, go to "Display Properties"->"Settings" tab->"Advanced..."->then the "TNT2" tab.

If it the tv encoder type has "bt' in it, then it's a brooktree. Or if that's too much work, look up the specs at the Hercules website, or ask someone here on Hardwarecentral if that's what tv-out chipset the card has.

------------------

I had a problem like that when I had a TNT2Ultra (Xentor). I found the problem to be that Optimal was set for the refresh rate and the monitor didn't support that refresh rate. I got past it by installing a standard monitor 800*600 in safe mode then rebooting. Then If your windows loads Make sure that the refresh rate is set to default in Display properties/advanced/adapter. then installing a closer matched monitor driver for your monitor, then if the monitor doesn't like the new refresh rates it will revert back in 15 seconds. Just a though. It worked for me.

------------------
    -T-Bird 850@1050 PalAlpha6035+Delta
    -Abit KT7
    -2x128mb PC133Cas2
    -Geforce2GTS
    -Proview 770 (17 inch) monitor
    -Sblive
    -2X DiamondMAX 52049H3 (20gig)
    -Memorex CRW 2642 CDRW
    -ADSL512 (Nildram)
    XP2800@XP3200(11*200)
    Abit NF7-SV2.0
    3 X256 TwinMOS DDRPC3200
    Radeon 9800Pro
    Iiyame MST 1451 (19 inch)monitor
    -1X Dimond Max Plus 9 160Gig SATA
    -1x Dimond Max Plus 9 80gig
    -Liteon LTR52246s
    -Benq DW1640
    -ADSL2048 (Nildram

i acctually do that too.
    my moniter is too old and it doesnt work w/ my tnt2, so i intalled it as a standard display 1024x768 and it works perfectly.

------------------

Yeah there are a variety of things to do before resorting to flashing the video card bios.

------------------

Dutch Woman Guest
    ok i can know install my drivers but once i change the resolution or color depth and reboot windows it blank screens "Still" on boot up, and i also changed my monitor. anyone know WTF is wrong?

------------------
    D650@988 Week 30 FOP 38
    128 PC133 Hyundai
    Abit KT7 RAID
    SB live Value
    10/100 realtek
    Viewmaster 17'1600x1200
    seagate 13.6 7200 ATA 66
    maxtor 4.3 5400
    12X Hitachi GD-7500