Best DVD???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best DVD???

Best DVD???

I bought a pioneer 16x slot drive about a month ago and i think it's faulty. It gets *very very* hot and is so loud it disturbs me when watching movies. Can anyone reccommend and quiet drive in the 8x - 12x range.
    I use it for program installation and watching movies, so the main feature would have to be low seek times but high transfer rates would be nice. Overall it has to be quiet.

------------------
    damn.........my chain's too short

Return or exchange the drive. Pioneer makes the best DVD drives for the PC. You could go with a slower Pioneer drive.

------------------
    AMD K6III 450
    EPOX EP-MVP3G2
    256MB PC100
    Quantum Fireball 12gig harddrive
    Acer 4x2x32 CDRW drive
    Creative 6x DvD drive W/DXR3
    SB Live! Value
    3DFX V4 4500 AGP

Well i have a 12x Hitachi DVD-ROM (not sure of the model) but it is SUPER QUIET and it is dam reliable
    never gets hot

------------------
    AMD Duron 650@988 w/Alpha PAL 6035
    192mb PC-133 RAM
    Asus A7V
    SB Live! Value
    Creative 3D Blaster Geforce 2 GTS
    10/100 21140 Intel NIC
    8gb Seagate 5400rpm
    12x DVD-ROM Hitachi
    Intel P4 2.26GH/z @ 2.26GH/z
    Epox 4G4A+
    512mb Corsair PC-2700 DDR XMS RAM

Running Win2K Professional (SP3)

what about the Toshiba SD-M1402 12x drive. I read really good things about them

------------------

I dont think its faulty, mine is the same, gets v.hot and is pretty loud when fully spun up.

------------------
    P3 700E@933-AlphaPep66
    Abit BX133RAID
    256mb Crucial PC133 cas2
    15" SmileKFC
    GeForceII GTS 64mb
    IBM 9.1gb 7200rpm 2mb
    Pioneer 105s DVD
    Plextor W1210A CDWRITER
    SBLive Value
    WIN TV

The Toshiba 16X/48X: SD-M1502 very quiet/fast. About $70

Even quieter? the SD-M1402 mentioned above, about $60

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 03-31-2001).]
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

I love my 16X Pioneer slot loader. With 20 fans total, it doesn't heat up and I can't hear it over the Delta's 7700RPMs anyway.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I'd personally recommend the Toshiba or Hitachi drives or the tray-loading Pioneers. I owned both a 6X and 10X slot-loaders and both died with the "click of death" (right after 1 yr - no word from Pioneer support after zillions of emails). I posted this problem and was deluged with hundreds of emails from people in the exact same boat.

Some may like them, but I'll never buy another slot-loading Pioneer as long as I live.

Go check out http://www.digitalconnection.com they specialize in home-entertainment pc equipment, and they test all their products to ensure they fit the bill. For example, they stopped carring the slot-loading pioneer DVD because the latest model was so loud. Oh, they also carry a nice assortment of black pc components.

Cal

Originally posted by VinceF:
    I'd personally recommend the Toshiba or Hitachi drives or the tray-loading Pioneers. I owned both a 6X and 10X slot-loaders and both died with the "click of death" (right after 1 yr - no word from Pioneer support after zillions of emails). I posted this problem and was deluged with hundreds of emails from people in the exact same boat.

Some may like them, but I'll never buy another slot-loading Pioneer as long as I live.

eeeee!?! "click of Death". I'm scared.....hold me. umm what's the click of death?
    Plus in Australia, we have a 2 year on warrenty on pioneers, so if it does stuff up, i'll chuck it at their heads and tell them to give me my money back!

------------------

"click-of-death" comes from the tendency of earlier zip drives to emit a click/clunk (the sound of the heads retracting and extending), which could then signify that the drive was f#####, and the disk too. Any disk you put in that drive would then be knackered too.

Yep, that term was pioneered (g) by the Zip Drives, but it was applicable to the Pioneer 6X and 10X drives as well. When the Pioneer slot-loader came out, six of us went out and bought one immediately. Performance was excellent and the drive was virtually silent when running. Later, I put that unit into "reference use" and bought a 10X slot-loader for home use.

Right about the 1-1.5 year period, each of the 7 drives stopped working and when CDs were inserted, only a "click-click" sound was heard and the CD never initialized. I talked to others who I knew also bought the drives and many were also having troubles or their slot loaders were already toast.

I was a bit perplexed by the bad luck we all were having and posted a Daily Comment on the site about it. The deluge of reader email (easily 200+) I received was pretty good evidence that something serious was up with those drives, and most also had problems within the exact same time-frame.

Now I have no direct experience with the newer 16X slot loaders, but I've since moved back on the Toshiba tray models and have not had a problem. I even have Panasonic and Hitachi DVD tray drives that are older than the 6X Pioneer slot loader (and have played more DVDs and CDs) with no problem at all.

Originally posted by eurodaiz:
    Plus in Australia, we have a 2 year on warrenty on pioneers, so if it does stuff up, i'll chuck it at their heads and tell them to give me my money back!
    Just make sure the store itself will honor it. I also had a longer Pioneer warranty, but the store itself limited their responsibility to 1 year, and after that it was back to the company.

Just by looking at the two Pioneer drives sitting in the corner, I don't need to tell you how well that went.

well, the place where i bought it from said that i can't have an refund and will only exchange it if pioneer finds a fault with the drive.
    I'm sending it back to pioneer today and they gave me a bull**** reply that their new 106s is the quietest drive they have ever made because of new technology.....yeah right. It may be the quietest drive they have made, but it probably won'nt be as quiet as the Toshiba's or Hitachi.

Anyway i think i'm gonna give the drive to my dad and buy a Toshiba 1402

What would you reccommend out of the Toshiba 1402 or the Hitachi 7500??

------------------

Originally posted by eurodaiz:
    What would you reccommend out of the Toshiba 1402 or the Hitachi 7500??
    Personally, I would go Toshiba. I've got a 12X here that I've hammered with DVD and CD-ROM duties and it's performed like a champ. I also owned a few other Toshiba CD-ROMs and they were retired/given away long before they ever bit the dust.

So from my past experience, Toshiba and Panasonic are the ones I buy now and I've not had any reason for second-guessing.

Thread Information