multi-moniters
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: multi-moniters

Hybrid View

multi-moniters

whitch os's support more than one moniter?
    and does it have to be w/ 2 pci v-cards, or can u have a preformance agp and an ok pci?

------------------
    I type slow and spell everything wrong.
    ...glad we've got that outta the way!

several video card mfg's offer dual monitor support. I think that is the only way to get more then one monitor. If I am not mistaken if you have 2 cards you have to choose between the two, one at a time. If you get a dual monitor card the OS doesn't realy care that you have two, it only sees the one card.

Metzger : you've got it all messed up. When I used win98 I had three monitors connected to my system. One Voodoo3 AGP and two S3Virge PCI cards. When using a multi-monitor configuration you are usually increasing the desktop size (which is what I did).

Meaning, you can drag a window from one screen onto the next. I used my main 17" for games and surfing, one 14" for mIRC, and the last 14" for Winamp, motherboard monitor and more. I think I have a pic of that somewhere, but I don't have access to it right now.

I haven't been able to get a multi-monitor configuration going in Win2k yet though.

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

I've got a 17" & a 15" on my Matrox G400, & an old 14" on an old S3 Virge PCI. It rocks.

Win2k only sees individual chips though, so you can't use the Matrox cards to the same extent that you can under 98. But haven't seen any problems setting it up yet though..

------------------
    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose.

If you are starting fresh and want to get into the Multi-Display experience do it the right way. Get a Matrox G450 DualHead video card for $115 retail (32MB AGP DDR) or if you can wait for better drivers to emerge and want a slightly better gaming experience go for the NVidia GeForceMX TwinView cards (32MB AGP SDR/DDR) for ~$120 retail.

I've found that spanning two cards (AGP + PCI/PCI + PCI) and using Win98 (for e.g.) for support doesn't give as good a multi-display experience as a good dual-head card. Of course juz MHO. Your results may vary. Business apps and browsing is where multi-display systems shine.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

S_Klass : my multi-monitor setup was a $0 solution as I already had a bunch of old gfx cards I didn't know what to do with, and a couple of old small monitors. I don't know how old the 4mb S3Virge/GX is now, but didn't complain about the performance

But yeah, if you're gonna run Multi-Monitor from day one and you'll be using it for desktop work - go for a Matrox solution. I'm not completely convinced by the 2D quality of some of the Nvidia boards out there (or maybe I just love my V3 a little too much ).

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

if i have multi-moniters and i open a game like half life, will it only go to one moniter? how does it know whitch one to go to? can i still do stuff on the other desktop at the same time? if so, how would the mouse controll change from the game to the other screen? or is there a way to minimize the game to free up the mouse, but still be able to see the game screen?

------------------

Thread Information