Golden Orb & new chassis fan to aid Tbird cooling
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Golden Orb & new chassis fan to aid Tbird cooling

Golden Orb & new chassis fan to aid Tbird cooling

Hi there,

I have been having some serious cooling problems with my Tbird 1GHz. The temperature will not drop below 51C. I have turned the heatsink from suck, to blow, and this has helped somewhat with the situation. Previously the CPU's temp ran at around 57C, and this, I understand, is a temp to avoid.

I have applied thermal grease to the CPU although it hasn't helped much at all. I lowerd the voltage from 1.78V to 1.71V.

Will the Golden Orb help this CPU in acheiving less then 45C? Or should I go for something a little more brute? I am definately going to overclock this sucker to at least 1.1GHz, which I have already tried and it runs great.

I will also be adding a chasis fan to help the airflow even more. Will this actually help in cooling the CPU?

Thanks for all of the help this forum has provided!! Much appreciated!!

The bigger your hard drive, the sooner you'll need to add more space!
    XP 1700
    WBK38 w/Sanyo Denko 92MM fan
    Asus A7V133 rev7
    Quantum 7200 ATA-100 20GB
    Fujitsu 5400 ATA-66 10GB
    SB Live MP3+ 5.1
    Creative Annihilator 2 GeForce2 GTS 32MB
    CTX 21"

Hamar, Norway
    1,187 are using a T-Bird, and you want to overclock...and you are thinking about using a Golden Orb on it?

To make a long story short, YES you need something with a bit more "brute force"

Get one of the Taisol heatsinks and swap the fan for something better, that's my best recommendation.

Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

Heheh yeah definitely forget about the Gorb for that chip. At the very least you'll want a SuperOrb; probably be wanting a FOP32 or an Alpha or whatever is hot [or cool ] at the moment..

Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose.

Thread Information