I think I screwed up my heatsink
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I think I screwed up my heatsink

I think I screwed up my heatsink

I was reinstalling my heatsink and used a degreaser as recommended to remove the old thermal compound. I folloed this with isopropyl alcohol and reinstalled the heasink. After this my processor temps are about 10 to 20 degrees higher than before. I checked to make sure there was enough paste, made sure that heatsink was seated properly and couldn't tell what was wrong. Then I read on a website that if you use a petroleum or citrus based degeaser it will fill up the micro spaces in the heatsink and lower its heat conductivity. Sure enough, checked and the degreaser was petroleum-based, and the article also mentioned that these aren't designed to evaporate. Before I do anything else is there anyting I can use to remove the degreaser residue? I have an Alpha PAL6035. I was thinking about just soaking the base with alcohol overnight to see if it would disolve the residue but I don't think it will work.

I bet soaking it in acetone would do the trick. Worked on everything in Organic labs back in the day.

Ah, yes. The good ol' days of Organic Chem lab.

Actually, after a while, I preferred the ajax, scrub brush and water method. On all those little glass tubes and stuff. Not on HSFs or CPUs.

Acetone will dissolve any organic substance -- something that contains carbon -- as is petroleum.

A conveniently available form of acetone is nail polish remover.

------------------
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -
    If you can't be a good example,
    then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    - - - Catherine Aird - - -

Thread Information