Safe to daisychain fans to power supply?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Safe to daisychain fans to power supply?

Safe to daisychain fans to power supply?

Setting up new video editing system with AMD 1.2/266, cooled by Globalwin WBK38 in a case with 5 cooling fabs. Need advice on whether it is safe practice to daisy chain the case fans and Globalwin from a single PS connector. If not, any other methods of hooking up all these cooling devices and still having unused connectors for drives/CD.etc?

TIA.

--jsphar

Daisychaining will work and I had no problem in the past doing that, but if you are going to add that many fans to your case, I would consider making a fanbus or even better a baybus. Check out http://www.fanbus.com for details.

------------------
    PIII 650 @910
    Asus P3V4X
    Diamond Viper 770
    256 MB RAM
    SB Live value
    Olicom 10/100 NIC
    Sigma Designs DVD Decoder
    Matsu****a 5x DVD ROM
    Ricoh 7060A CD/RW
    13.6 gig IBM 14 GXP
    30.7 gig Maxtor DM+ 45
    Athlon XP 1700+@1900+
    Abit KG7
    ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon
    512 MB DDR RAM
    SB Audigy
    Linksys 10/100 NIC
    Pioneer 16x DVD ROM
    Sony 24x10x40 CD/RW
    2x30.7 gig Maxtor DM+ 45 in RAID 0

Or you could go this route, if your case is large enough to fit it in there.

The second PS is in there just for the fans.

Mike

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1 GHz
    ASUS A7V KT133
    256 RAM
    DVD-ROM drive
    48X CD-ROM
    HP CD-Writer+ 7500
    8.43 GB Hard drive
    13.66 GB Hard drive
    30.00 GB Hard drive
    3dfx Voodoo3
    Creative SB Live! X-Gamer
    LinkSys 10/100 NIC
    www.michaelwessinger.com
    AMD Athlon 3000 (Barton) & ASUS A7N8X Dlx 512 RAM
    DVD, Yamaha LightSpeed CDRW
    80 GB SATA, 13.6, & 30 GB IDE Hard drives
    Radeon 9200 Pro
    Samsung 19" Monitor 955DF

dragonheart and mike:

Thanks for the prompt responses and suggestions. The fanbus, baybus, and extra PS are all good solutions.

Knew I could get an answer from the experts, even though my original post contained the typo about cooling fabs instead of fans. This is a great forum.

--jsphar

Are you talknig connecting them in parrellel (tie together all black and all reds) or are you talking about connecting them in a row (like the first red to the power, the first black to the second red, the second black to the third red...)?

If my electronics knowledge works right, connecting them in parrallel will lower the resistance to increase the total amps to mantain the 12v. This will let the fans all run at full spped. Now if you connect them in series, the resistances add together and the amprage is dropped to mantain the 12v. This will slow down the fans. This is a good way to get two high speed noisy fans to run slower and quieter.... if it works this way. I only took about 1 semester of electronics in college over 10 years ago.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Todd,

I don't know the correct electronics term for this, but each of these fans has a male and a female connector. So we are talking about going from the power supply male connector to the female connector of the first fan, from the male connector of the first fan to the female connector of the second fan, and on and on.

What I am trying to find out is whether it is safe to treat these fans as the devices in a SCSI chain, looping from one to the next.

It appears to be the way the case is made, with the male & female connectors at each fan. But unfortunately there is no documentation.

Thanks for your help.

--jsphar

That is parrallel. All the reds are connected together, all the blacks are connected together...

(+)----[x]-----[x]-----[x]-----(-)

This is kind of what I mean by series. One big long wire with fans breaking it up. Parallel would be two wires with fans connected along it:

(+)---\---\---\
    FANS->[x] [x] [x]
    (-)---/---/---/

As for number of fans. Each fan is rated for so many watts each. Connect as many of those pass through connectors together. I connect them to a seperat power feed from the PS. I don't like to put fans in the same feed from the PS as say the hard drive.

If you want to neaten things up you can cut off all the connectors and connect them to a fan bus. It is basical just a connector that you can wire all your fans to.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Justintime Guest
    connecting in series will lower fan speeds amd 'equalize' various wattages for different fans, in parallel the fans will receive a steady current and will run max 12v speed

------------------
    Jr

Yes. The point I'm making is several people talk about running 7v or 5 volts on their fans, but hooking two tegether in series will also do the trick. It is just best if they are similar in wattage.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

Thread Information