Chilling options
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Chilling options

Chilling options

Can anybody tell me what's out there in the way of refrigeration ?.
    I know Kryotech and Vapochill make stuff, but are these the only guys in the market ?
    Your help appreciated.

Cheers

Nickf

If you mention Kryotech and Vapochill you must also mention our very own #Rotor and his Super Cooling Methologies. Take a look at what you can purchase from him.

Keep in mind that #rotor's way of doing things is a bit different (more flexible in terms of hardware) than what Kryotech and ASEtek do.

------------------
    Carpe noctem!

[This message has been edited by D|sElMiNk (edited 03-24-2001).]
    Carpe noctem!

Water cooling with peltiers will do the same thing basically. The kits are getting better all the time. They are not for begainers and need to be monitored a bit more closely. Programs like Motherboard Monitor 5.0 and Shut Down Now are manditory. The only problem is the cost envolved. This is a hobby only kind of thing. This knid of cooling is not for something like a business surver that needs to run as fast as it can.

Hand picked cores can do you more good than that and usually the cooling you get from a VapoChill unit will not make up for the extra money. These things run $600 and will only give you an extra 100-200Mhz. Something like an AXIA cored Athlon will let you hit 1.5Ghz with air cooling and will cost you much less than the Vapo-Chill case.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Todd A : you contradict yourself a bit, first you say that since these things cost a bit of money they are hobby only. Then you say that the Vapochill's aren't worth the money because they only give you 100~200MHz more?

I agree that the Vapochill and (in particular) Kryotech are expensive solutions, but keep in mind that there's a lot of thought behind the design of both units. People who want cool systems, but don't have the time to build a similiarily powerful setup themselves are the ones who buy these things. I would never pay full price for a Vapochill myself, as I think they take a lot of the fun out of it, but I've learned to respect it's performance now that I've been in the process of building a water/peltier based system that outperforms the Vapo.

It takes a lot of peltier wattage and radiator efficiency to beat the 55W Vapochill compressor. But it's not impossible either

Now think, if you take a Vapo/CC and combine it with a hand-picked AXIA core T-Bird...ooooh sweet love
    Besides, everyone and their dog has an aircooled setup. Their uncles run their watercooled rigs. So why not go the freon route and be a little more special ? Once you're hooked money is no longer an object. Anyone wanna buy a black, lightly modded vapochill ?

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

I'm basically saying that this is a hobby and if you can afford it spend what ever you can (or at least can pry from your wifes fingers in my case). As Tom's Hardware pointed out it is really not worth the money on MOST system. Think of it this way. If you want a powerfull computer, you can grab a 1.33Ghz and overclock it to 1.5Ghz with air cooling. This is the ultimate power without going too overkill.

I've seen some say stuff like "My Duron 650 can only do 900Mhz. If I add water cooling and a peltier, will it reach 1Ghz?". Kind of rediculous when youi can by a 1Ghz CPU for less. Hell the 1.2Ghz are only running $200. Right now the only thing "worth" spending that kind of money in overclocking is an AXIA cored Athlno (like the 1.33Ghz and a few other slower ones if you are luck) and overclokcing them to a level not avaluable on the market. Basically if a 1.33Ghz is worth $300, then what is the worth of a non-existant 1.5Ghz or higher CPU?

Now as a hobby, you can do things like dump $600 into seeing if you can get your old P233 to 400Mhz just for the hell of it. If you got the money and you are just doing it for fun then GO FOR IT (I wish I could).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

That's what I'm saying. For me overclocking isn't about saving money anymore, the cooling/total overclock has become the goal - instead of bang/buck. I want an AXIA 1.2 or 1.3, but I will be spending at least as much on cooling as another 1.2GHz chip would cost me I don't have much money at all(mostly unemployed, dropped out of this year at school), but most of what I get I spend on hardware.

Am I an additct ?

------------------
    Carpe noctem!

[This message has been edited by D|sElMiNk (edited 03-25-2001).]
    Carpe noctem!

Thread Information