Everything was working great. Then .....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Everything was working great. Then .....

Everything was working great. Then .....

Last night I was playing Age of Empires 2 with some friends. In the middle of a game my moniter went black. The green light on my moniter was still on, so I knew I was still getting a signal. I was also the one serving, and all of the players were still fine.

I booted in safe mode and tried loading both Det. 6.50, and 6.31. Neither of them worked. The only way I can get any picture is by using the Standard PCI graphics adapter. Here's the other weird thing. When I restart my screen stays completely black until I get my windows startup screen, then goes into windows. I don't see my bios initialize or anything. If I restart and hit delete my bios screen will pop up. I don't get any screen at all when I use any drivers.

I could really use some help and advice.
    Thanks in advance.
    AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

Are you running a KT133/A mobo such as the KT7/A7V with a GeForce GTS card?

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

S_Klass-- Sorry, I forgot to post my system.

Thunderbird 1100@1330 280mhz fsb
    Asus V7700 @210 375
    Abit KT7A-Raid
    256mb Mushkin Hi performance Rev.2
    IBM Deskstar 75gxp 30gb

These are the specs of my system. That is the setting my video card was at when my problem started.

Since my last post I put my old Voodoo 3 in and loaded drivers for it. I got slightly different results. When I boot the only thing I see before the windows startup screen is my video card bios screen. I was also getting this with my Asus V7700. After my video card bios screen I get the same thing as before, except when I have my driver loaded windows is visable. It won't let my change my resolution above 640X480. I still can't get into games.
    AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

I've juz RMAed a GeForce GTS card and I have a KT7-RAID too. Apparently there's an issue with that combination of Video Card and Mobo. Run your I/O voltage at 3.4 volts and that may help otherwise you may have to RMA it.

------------------

I don't think this sounds like a problem with GTS, since the voodoo is experiencing similar problems. So don't go RMA'ing anything yet. I'd say it's definately a motherboard issue.

Maybe this is an issue with the VIA 4in1's. Unfortunitly, I can't be of much assistance in that arena since I've very little experience with them. Just make sure you are using the latest ones.

This most likely has nothing to do with the problem, but make sure your monitor drivers are installed correctly.

Maybe your monitor will not run at certain resolutions any more. Is your monitor still detected under Windows? Make sure it is set for the right monitor (this will prevent you from setting resolutions). Have you tried another monitor? Switch it out and see if you get the same issues. It sounds like a monitor issue or a Windows Plug and Play or driver issue with your monitor.

Also check under the Controle Pannel/System/Device Manager and see if you only have one display addaptor showing and that it is the correct one. Try updating the drivers from there.

If all else fails, you could try a clean sweep and reinstall of everything.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.

[This message has been edited by Todd a (edited 03-23-2001).]
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

S_Klass-- I am not sure it is a video card problem. I am going to try my card in another system and see how it goes.

I tried changing moniters, and still the same exact thing. I tried reloading moniter drivers, and making sure I only have one display adapter in my Device Manager. My moniter is working fine on other computers. I have ruled out the moniter as the problem.

I tried reinstalling VIA's 4in1 drivers. Didn't help.

Just a question, but do any of you think that it might be a bios issue? I am not even getting a bios post screen. Does anyone think flashing it might help?

I hope I have this problem fixed by Monday. On Monday I am getting my enermax 430watt Powersupply. I have been having that cold boot issue where I have to hit reset, but I believe it was a powersupply problem. I don't think that problem has anything to do with this though. Just though I would let you guys know in case it might help.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm running Enermax 431 watt PSU and had the same problems. I took my GeForce out and put in a TNT card and the TNT worked flawlessly starting up first time everytime.

I would get a CHECK SIGNAL CABLE sign on my monitor and no image at all, not even the video card BIOS or the Award BIOS screen.

------------------

Thread Information