new case?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: new case?

new case?

i need a good case and amd ceritified power supply.
    i want a case that has enought space for a window, and blow holes.

what is a common modded case? and is easly modded?

aluminum or steel?

------------------
    Funny how thing's are found to cause cancer in lab rat's in califorina but no where else!!
    Funny how thing's are found to cause cancer in lab rat's in califorina but no where else!!

I put a window and a blowhole in my Antec SX830. The only problem with this case was the handle that opens the side door, just had to cut around it though. Very nice, roomy case for pretty cheap and 300W PS. I got mine for $80 and free shipping from www.onvia.com . But that was a few months ago, may be higher now.
    Just checked, onvia has it for $88 and free shipping, not bad at all. I would get other opinions also though, I tend to be biased to things I own.

------------------
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    Asus A7V-Alpha 6035 w/38CFM
    256M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum
    Desktop Theater 2500 5.1 Digital

[This message has been edited by Strat (edited 03-21-2001).]
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    Asus A7V-ThermoEngine w/38CFM
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum
    Desktop Theater 2500 5.1 Digital

Ive got an Enligh 7237 and its great. Cheap and easy to mod. Should only be about 60.

Most cases do not come with the best power supplies. Even though they say AMD approved, most do not say what speed. The HIC that comes in the FK 320 is a 300w AMD approved PS, but if you check AMD's web site it is only approve for 1Ghz and lower. This is a common issue with power supplies. Even Antec has a 250w AMD approved PS, but is only rated for 650Mhz. Enlight does make some good 300w AMD approved PS and Sparkle has some good 250w (both are approved for 1.2Ghz or more). Enermax makes a great quiet PS but the 450w is only rated for 1Ghz.

The problem is most places do not tell you the EXACT PS that comes in the case or when you have an option to upgrade the PS the a 300w AMD approved. What is it? I really recommend getting the PS seperate.

I usually look here for cases:
    http://www.directron.com/cases---case-fans.html

Like I said though do not get it with a PS. Go somewhere else.

I like the FK-603, FK-320, Enlight 7327, the Antec SX-830, Antec SX1030. If you have the money the black Mini Cube is a nice case for modding:

While looking for the PS I came across this case. It has a Sparkle 300w rated for 1.2Ghz+ and 2 120mm case fans. The lay out and looks aren't too bad either. THe price is pretty good since it comes with a $40 PS and the 2 fans. The price was $95.
    http://www.servercase.com/

They also sell the PS seperately (and have the Mini Cube cases too). Their shipping kind of sucks though for cases... $30 for UPS ground ($12 for the PS only). Directron only runs about $15 for a case.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Hey I found another sight by chance that has Enlight cases bundled with Sparkle PS. Their shipping is about $18 for Fed-X.
    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/

The Enlight 7237 with Sparkle 300 is $79. They also had an interesting case, that looks kind of neat. It has jumpers to bring the sound, USB, and joystick ports up to the front of the case (along one edge of the front bezel). I think it even has a spot for a ps/2 mouse:

They also have a similar case with the ports on the front on the bottom.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I have a question. What is the difference between an AT and ATX case? Other than the pwr supply. Thanks

An AT case lacks the I/O sheild for all the plugs... serial, com, USB, keyboard, mouse... The AT case only has one hole for the larger AT keyboard. It also has 8 expansion slots. It uses a flip on/off switch, while the ATX just needs a button (like the reset button on most cases). It also lacks all the holes for the standoffs for a full ATX board

Hacking an old AT case to an ATX is knid of a pain. I had to hack through the back panel with a jig saw to make the I/O shield. Switch the PS. I used the reset button for the power button. I had to secure the motherboard with insolating foam sheets and zip ties.

You can get cheap ATX cases for under $50. Go for that instead. Much easier.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

I have the Enermax 450 W PS, and was thinking of going with a 1.2 T-bird. Now only to find out it it probably won't work. What are the volt'/amps required for running the bigger birds? Thanks

------------------
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

My 3 cents (inflation) worth.

I have built puters with both the FK603(Mid) and FK604(Mini) cases. They were both very high quality and a pleasure to work with EXCEPT for the 3.5 floppy. It is recessed so far back in the sculptured front that it is sometimes hard to get the flopy all the way in (at least with my big fat fingers). The eject button is pushed by an extension button and I had trouble with both cases. With a Teac floppy the extension hit the floppy case and stopped before it went far enough to eject. I had to glue a little pad on the extension to fix this. In the FK603 a lip on the end of the extension button would hang up on the edge of a 3.5 bay front cover and not pop back out. this was easily fixed by moving the cover. Sorry to say, I am off of FK cases now.

I would highly reccomend directron.com - good selection, good discreptions, fast shipping, and good prices.

Bill

------------------
    Duron 700@917 & PAL6035
    MSI K7T Pro2a, 256MB Kingmax PC150
    IBM 75GXP, 7,200 RPM, 20Gig HD
    Fong-Kai FK603 case & 275W PC Cooling PS
    Matrox G-450 & Iiyama Pro 17
    Mitsumi 48X CD & 250 internal Zip
    Linksys 10/100 Ethernet
    Win 98 SE
    AMD 9950 Quaad-core processor
    M2N-SLI Deluxe board
    4 GB OCZ Gold
    WD 500GB SATA2 HD
    Antec True Power 750
    Antec Sonta case
    BFG 8600GT 256MB video
    Samsung 940bx 19" LCD
    Samsung SH-S203B DVD
    On board NIC
    SB Audigy sound
    XP Pro 64 bit

i would like a case with 120mm case fan blow holes. like the one at servercase.com

are there any other cases like this?

------------------

Thanks Todd, my friends AT MOBO craped out and the options are much better with ATX. Looking at an Epox EP-MVP3C I guess. Certainly not going to try modding this box. Thanks

Thread Information