Exists: Dual AMD (K6-2) Mobo?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exists: Dual AMD (K6-2) Mobo?

Exists: Dual AMD (K6-2) Mobo?

I don't ever remember seeing one, but it's a good idea... Anyone else seen a dual AMD mobo anywhere?

------------------
    And the beat goes on...
    And the beat goes on...

Nope,

Have to wait for the Athalon (Bi-Athalon, HA HA)
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

The K6 architecture does not support SMP. One processor per machine, sorry.

The Athlon, however, is SMP capable.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

Dimarini,

I am getting a vision of you sitting there right now with a light bulb over your head... inside the light bulb are two Athalon's perched on a sleek new Dual Slot A motherboard... I also hear a loud DING sound...

Am I close????

Dont you wish, too bad though, it would of made a cheap fast system for its time!

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

http://bszone.shacknet.nu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Go there and have fun!
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

Justintime Guest
    i'd prefer dual socket A's

------------------
    Jr

I remeber seeing a mobo which did dual Pentiums (up to 200MHz) by Micronics I think. That was a couple of years ago.

------------------
    AMD Duron 800@1000 (7.5x133MHz)
    128Mb 133MHz RAM
    Abit KT7a RAID
    2x 8.4GB in RAID 0
    Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
    ------------------
    "How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

MadCat: What in a CPU architecture decides wheather or not the CPU is SMP capable?

------------------
    IC bus, TO3 case, P4 CPU.
    IC bus, TO3 case, P4 CPU.

they're working on a new amd dual athlon board witch is already out for buisness use (if only in the prototype stage). tyan is trying to develope a consumer version w/o 64bit PCI and stuff like that.

btw : when are games gonna be disigned for dual CPU systems?

nobody runs dual CPU because there is no software, there is no software because nobody has dual CPUs.
    (aside from the muti-thread problems in game programs that is hard to get around.)
    I type slow and spell everything wrong.
    ...glad we've got that outta the way!

The SOFTWARE has to be designed to handle dual processors?!? You mean my Win2k machine won't be much better with the Dual Durons I'm planning on???

------------------
    Don't Click Here.

eazyMoney - You've got it backwards. There is only one SMP Athlon board in development, but it is by Tyan. The Tyan Thunder K7 is 64bit PCI x5, DDR RAM x4, Ultra 160 SCSI onboard, 4Mb ATI Rage onboard, AGP Pro 4X slot, and dual Socket 462. Retail price is estimated at around 300$ US. There is no 'consumer board' planned, and 64bit PCI is a native feature on AMD-760MP, so pulling that would be just plain dumb. Cost reduction would be minimal.

MiseryQ - You *are* being facetious, right? Single apps are almost always single threaded. Games are pretty much always single threaded. Running a dedicated server and a local client forces SMP use fairly well, though, at least at LAN parties.

Dual Durons is going to be disappointing. I've been invited to several AMD shows where the 760MP was demoed, and I finally got the AMD rep to throw in two Duron 800s set for 6x133. Performance, even on properly multithreaded apps, was only about 1.25-1.5X single CPU scores, while dual Tbirds managed almost a full doubling of the single CPU scores. Duron's small fast cache works well in single cpu boxes, especially with the EV6 DDR bus to feed it. In SMP boxen, even the EV6 can't overcome the fact that the system DDR ram has to feed TWO cpus. Only the Tbird's larger cache lets it keep rolling strong.

------------------
    And the beat goes on...
    And the beat goes on...

Also, is nobody looking at the dates on the posts anymore?? The original comments (by me) were made almost TWO YEARS AGO.

Quote:
    xSiLeNtDx Dont you wish, too bad though, it would of made a cheap fast system for its time!

Yeah, and when the comment was originally made, it was still the K6-2's time! When this comment was made, my brand new BP6 and dual Celeron 366@615s were almost state of the art. I had one of the fastest SMP boxen around. Now they're collecting dust in the corner, as I type on an Athlon 1.2Ghz(266 bus) at 1.5ghz, while waiting for my Tyan pre-order to arrive.

(Duallies are going to own again. Find TNProud2B and let him know I'm coming to stomp on all his benchmarks. I wonder if he ever got those 400A's to 600 stable... )

------------------
    And the beat goes on...
    And the beat goes on...

TNProud2B i still have pics of his system 2years ago, it was awsome.

he inspired me to go water cooled.

where is he?
    I type slow and spell everything wrong.
    ...glad we've got that outta the way!

damnfino. I'd love to find him again, too, if it weren't for him, I might never have gotten as far as I have. When I first started coming here, I was a Win95/AOL/Gateway P2300/Riva128 using fool, and now I'm a custom (hand made by me) Athlon@1.533Ghz/screw AOL/SuSE7.1Pro/GeForce 2 Ultra fool. I think it's fair to say I've come a long way.

------------------
    And the beat goes on...
    And the beat goes on...

I'm still around

The dual Celeron 400's eventually made it to 660MHz with watercooled TECs...
    Duckman's celery went faster than that, if I remember right.

My current machine is aircooled - but uses heatpipes in place of heatsinks. I do have plans to watercool it someday.

I outgrew the tower case and replaced it with a lowboy rolling rackmount thingy.
    The dual monitor (previously triple) setup was replaced by a LCD flatpanel on a swiveling monitor arm attached to a small table by my loveseat.

dual P3 Xeon 600 1MB L2 ES - engineering samples. Unlocked multiplier. Run at 735MHz (7X105). ASUS XG-DLS motherboard. 6 SCSI hard drives. 512MB RAM. copper tube frame

heatpipe >

P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Thread Information