CPU Temps Too High!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CPU Temps Too High!

CPU Temps Too High!

My core temps were running 54c yesterday while running prime95 with a 26c case temp. This is a brand new Alpha pal6035 using RadioShack grease. I've seen a lot lower temps than this from everyone on this board. What gives? I used very little thermal grease. Thinking about removing grease completely when I get and install my copper shim later this week. Any suggestions from you guys? I'm afraid this temps are going to get worse when summer really gets here.

------------------
    Abit KT7A
    TBird850@915 1.825v
    Alpha pal6035 + delta fan
    256 Meg PC133
    Viper V550 (for now)
    Aureal Vortex2
    WD 7200 rpm 20gig
    Abit KT7A
    TBird850@933 7/133/33 1.775v
    256 Meg PC133 Micron
    Viper V550 (for now)
    Aureal Vortex2
    WD 7200 rpm 20gig
    HP CD-RW 10x4x32
    17" Viewsonic A70

when I am in widnows 98 I have temps that are that high when running p95, when I run in NT or XP temps are in the 40s while running p95. I dont know.. all I know is windows 98 is too hot for me.

I have a shim (which I super glued onto the chip) and the same heatsink. make sure you dont have the clip on backwards, if you do then pressure wont be evenly applied.

case temp looks good..

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

http://bszone.shacknet.nu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Go there and have fun!
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

What is the point in overclocking only 65Mhz if you have to run at 1.825v. That is part of your problem. Also the case temps are taken from the bottom front of the case on the KT7 boards. This is right in front of the front fan and does not represent the temps around the CPU. Open your case and blow a house fan in and see how much your CPU temps improve. If it is more than 1-2'C, you need to improve your case cooling. Front and rear fans (not counting the PS fan) are a minimum. Blow holes in the top and/or side (and even the bottom) are also nice for cooling.

Also some people are haveing trouble getting the SocketA heatsinks to sit 100% flat on the CPU. This has a hugh effect on the cooling. Try reseating the heatsink.

You could also try reversing the fan on the CPU, some say it helps (usually not much though).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I already have two YS tech 80mm in the case. One blowing in at the front and another at back of mobo. As far as the voltage, I am still in the testing phase of overclocking. I was not sucessful unlocking L1 bridges with a pencil and after two trys I got worried about chipping the core. Hence, the copper shim. I also have a conductive pen on the way and plan on removing CPU and placing shim at the same time I unlock the L1 bridges. Hopefully, things will get better because if I run above 107 on the frontside bus I get errors with prime95 and I also get BSOD. I think maybe an upgrade of my vid card might be in order to obtain better results. Any thoughts on this? I have tried various combinations of voltages and memory settings but still can't get above 107/35.

------------------
    Abit KT7A
    TBird850@915 1.825v
    256 Meg PC133
    Viper V550 (for now)
    Aureal Vortex2
    WD 7200 rpm 20gig
    Abit KT7A
    TBird850@933 7/133/33 1.775v
    256 Meg PC133 Micron
    Viper V550 (for now)
    Aureal Vortex2
    WD 7200 rpm 20gig
    HP CD-RW 10x4x32
    17" Viewsonic A70

Justintime Guest
    are you sure that board is a kt7A? orjust kt-7? cause thats a 133FSB board if it is an A.
    redo the multiplier to 133X6.5 for 866Mhz and use stndard voltage, that is way too high for just a 65Mhz overclock, your core must be close to its limit

------------------
    Jr

Thread Information