1GHz+ Athlon?!? This is insane!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1GHz+ Athlon?!? This is insane!!!

1GHz+ Athlon?!? This is insane!!!

I was surfing the web when I read this:
    "This is getting more and more crazy. Bunny Workshop has overclocked his Athlon 700 to 1152Mhz!!! He ran it at a mere 1.85V with MS 6167..." - source Vision Online http://vision.intercosmos.com/index2.htm
    Well this is going crasy - why the hell would you need to o/c your lighting 700MHz Athlon to 1100MHz?!?
    "...You drive me crasy...."
    Todor
    mollov@mail.bg

I think the idea of going that fast is fun!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Well there is no doubt that the perf. will be superb (I don't know any Intel CPU to run that fast), BUT why in hell do you need to run 700MHz Athlon so fast and with that core voltage - 1.85V - according to AMD Athlon datasheet the highest core voltage can be 1.7V!!!

[This message has been edited by mollov19 (edited 11-05-99).]
    Todor
    mollov@mail.bg

In other words, your question is "What's the point of Overclocking if your CPU runs fast enuf?" right? That's human nature. Always want to be ahead of time.

I have been running my 500 at 750 at 1.8v for 2 months now and it doesn't run much hotter than at 1.6 @ 500.. mebbe 5f 10f under a load...

1100mhz? is that all? I think I'll wait for the Abit dual Athlon motherboard. Or a quad Celeron board. It's NEVER fast enough.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

chcr is offline lemme offa this ride!!!!!
    What he said!!!!!!

------------------
    Can't dance, too fat to fly.
    Things equal to other things are not necessarily the same.

1152MHz? thats pretty fast, but it's never fast enough - nothing ever is fast enough
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Abit KR7A-R, 512MB PC2700 DDR CAS2, 2x IBM 30.6GXP running RAID 0, Asus GeForce2 MX, Hercules GameTheater XP, SMC 1210TX Nic...

Well TNproud2b don't want to make you sad, BUT Abit won't make Athlon based MB - they stick with Intel forever - have you ever seen a Super7( with VIA or ALI chipset) Abit board?!?
    Me not!!!
    Todor
    mollov@mail.bg

1100MHz, thats freakin awesome!!

I cant wait for a 700 tera-bit Quantum Vortex processor. Wonder what that would over-clock to?

------------------
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

ok well the 1151.51 mhz is cool. but it can only be as fast as the hard drive can load the info.. my question is what about the 64 bit cpus comming out second half next year?? not intel compatable from AMD? how fast will those be??1-2 Ghz.. if any one has info onthis i would like to know.. i have a friend that works for amd in Capbell CA. but he can't release info.. kinda sucks...

Who would have guessed that Abit would release a dual Celeron board? Wait 'til an Athlon chip costs $75 and see what Abit gives you to plug it into. Remember that motherboards suitable for overclocking are a niche product. I think the overwhelming success they've had with their BP6 will help dictate the future of Abit. They are now the world authority on overclockable dual boards, I see no reason they would risk losing that honor. Mark my words, folks, a dual Athlon IS in our future. In fact, dual processors are already required just to keep up with me. And I ain't special.

[This message has been edited by TNproud2b (edited 11-06-99).]
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

the only problem i have with these jokers who overclocked their Lawn is that they disabled the cache! Talk about killing the performance of your puter.... jeeez! I bet the 900mhz kryotech system is faster than this junkbucket.

Speaking of having a fast HD, try something like this USCSI drive i've got (seagate), i benchmarked my entire system, and apparently the access time on my hd is 4.5ms... hrrmmm... 8-

highping, check out ChipGeek at www.geek.com , they have some info on that stuff... oh yeah, and those pesky NDA's suck, don't they

------------------
    Beware of the BSoD!!! Install this handy little fix: www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/

[This message has been edited by Machupo (edited 11-06-99).]
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

I'm keeping my eyes open and building a little Athlon nestegg waiting for a little lower price and a newer VIA chipset. I understand Asus is no longer going to produce its' K7M, but check out what's just over the horizon. http://www.slota.com/motherboards/
    http://www.via.com.tw/products/prodkx133.htm

Want to know why people want fast? just read my name

------------------
    Go Xtreme

Thread Information