How do I cool this thing down!?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do I cool this thing down!?

How do I cool this thing down!?

ok, I know 55 celcius at full load is bad... because it is lightly unstable...

my question is, how can I cool this down?
    I have 2 case fans and the PSU. one fan blowing cool air in from the bottom frount, and another blowing air out just below the PSU (right next to the cpu, and then there is the psu fan...

I also hace an alpha PAL 6035 with a sunon fan blowing the air away from the cpu...
    I am useing standard radioshack goo at the moment, should I get some artic silver?

also, where can I get some panaflo fans, this case sounds like a jet engine.. it is loud!.. too loud!

any suggestions on cooling this down?

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

http://bszone.shacknet.nu/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Go there and have fun!
    One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity!

reseat the heatsink. Turn the fan around (you do have the shroud on don't you). This is about the only place I know that sells the hole range of low speed and high speed PanaFlows. They do not come with plugs and are not speed sensing, but they are very quiet.
    http://www.caseetc.com/cgi-bin/caseetc

The other option for cooling is a couple of blow holes. A pair of PanaFlo 92mm L1A fans across from the CPU and one to vent the heat dirrectly out the top. Tie up all loose cables and route them out of the way. Cut the grills of the case and add chrome wire grills (much better airflow for only a couple of bucks each.

Open the case up and set a house fan blowing in. If the CPU temp drops more than 1-2'C, then it is a case cooling problem.

Take the fan off the heatsink and screw on an 80mm chrome grill. Then screw an 80mm PanaFlow H1A high speed fan onto the grill from the other side. Re-attach the heatsink to the CPU.

These are a couple of ideas. Mix and match a few of them. Hope it helps.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Well right now supposidly the hotest thing on the market for cooling down your cpu is the new Swiftech MC370-0A (for socket A)

What type of cpu do you have? That makes a big difference.

And yes you might want to try some Artic Silver instead of Radio Shack crud.

Right now though I have a 850 T-bird @ 1 GHZ and it runs at and around 35 degrees celcius! And NO thermal grease yet! I have the Global Win WBK38 (which I think is better than the Swiftech). The case fans I have are two in and one out and one on my main drive. Not too much. Best thing to do is go with the global...and yes it is loud...but not too loud. IT GETS THE JOB DONE THOUGH !

And if you want cool...but not loud then go with the global win FOP32-1 or the alpha's (one of the many different types) (Of course if you have a socket A)
    www.coolerguys.com is a KICK AZZ site for cooling. You can even get ATA cables there to minimize there blockage of air flow!

Good Luck!

------------------
    PAINTBALL RULEZ!
    PAINTBALL RULEZ!

I have an athlon (t-bird) 1ghz running at 1.2ghz, 1.78 volts, 48 celcius full load (the fan blows air from the cpu, which is better than blowing air at the cpu with this particular heatsink. I would like to duct an 80mm fan into the heatsink, the only problem is with the ALPHA pal 6035, the screws are too long.

I have an alpha PEP 66 with a 10mm thick delta fan, I just need a clip that will fit the heatsink and is designed for socket A.

I am ordering some silver compiund right now (not the artic silver stuff, just the silver compound, it is supose to do a kick azz job, without the price...

I think case cooling (and cpu cooling) is my problem. I have a fan in the frount blowing air in, a fan in the blowhole in the back blowing it out, no grills, I also have the PSU fan blowing air out of the case, which I replaced just not for another one wich is quieter... and I have a hard drive cooler with 3 40mm fans in it. which is blowing the air in the case.

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

Go there and have fun!

and since I accidently hit enter before I was finished, I will dinish now...

I plan on doing a case mod where I am going to add a blowhole on the top. and 2 on the left side of the case, along with a window and have some LEDs for light.

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

Go there and have fun!

Ya case moding is fun and a great way to take some degrees of that temp! When you do it look into those rounded ATA cables I talked about...those will allow airflow through your whole computr case and not block everything off.

(just becuase you stick a fan on does not mean it will make a difference)

Good luck!

------------------
    PAINTBALL RULEZ!
    PAINTBALL RULEZ!

I currently have my cables folded and zip tied, they are takeing up as little room as possable, I am going to round them one of these days

------------------
    Nothing like BS!

Go there and have fun!

The 6035 works better pulling air away from the cpu. It has been known not to sit tight enough. Bend the clip a little to make a tighter fit. CoolerGuys are expensive as heck
    check www.CoolerChips.com They have great prices. I also like www.3dfxcool.com and www.2cooltek.com

A Delta fan on the ALPHA really helps a lot, but it's a little noisy to some people.
    I wouls take things a part, clean everything up, reapply your thermal compound, and reset the heatsink. Try going very, very thin on the thermal compound. Some people use a razor blade to thin it out across the core, others use the edge of a credit card. Just make sure it's thin.......
    Hopefully that will help.....

------------------
    Duron 700@920 (115FSB*8x)
    Abit KT7 RAID
    256mb Crucial @ CAS2
    Asus v7100 GeForce2 MX 200/200

http://members.tripod.com/athlon100/index.htm]AMDnut's Tech Page
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3