50C is Too High!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 50C is Too High!

50C is Too High!

Running an oc'ed 650 at 8x110 with 1.805 core volts on an ASUS A7V with a Thermaltake orb and an ASUS V7100 vid. Is the 50C a true measurement considering what I've heard of ASUS temp Probe? I've spent too much on HS's but if i need a global win FOP32 or keep my case open all the time.... well that's a decision.
    Cheers,
    Joe

------------------
    electrons.......who would have thought?

If it helps keeping the case open then you need a couple of good case fans. One in front blowing in and one in back blowing out. A blowhole in the side blowing in (across from the CPU) and a blowhole in the top blowing out will work even better (along with at least the one in front).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

go for the fop 38. Its probably the best HSF for the money. Its about $22. A little loud, but not too bad. It has a noticable hum, or spend the extra and get a Alpha with delta fan. www.CoolerChips.com www.3dfxcool.com www.2cooltek.com

Tweak, How's the noise level on the alpha. I would leave my case open but I once had a bad experience with dropping a set of keys in a 486 box. Now I know that will probably not happen with anupright case but.......
    Cheers,
    Joe

------------------

Don't know what it means to you but I finally got a temp sensor to put on my CPU and the temps are about 4 C less than what the ASUS probe would show with MBM. make sure your not using the ASUS software.
    -ram

------------------
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

Thanks, That's about what I remember.
    Cheers,
    joe

------------------

The alpha with the sunnon fan is pretty quiet, add a delta its the same as the fop 38 noise wise. The alpha's heatsink is superior to the globalwins, but will only perform better with a delta fan. They have a noticable hum, or whine, but are far from deafening. Oh by the way I just checked www.CoolerChips.com the Fop 38 is on sale for $20 not $22 as I stated above.

[This message has been edited by TweakMaster (edited 03-05-2001).]

From experience, I believe you are at 50C with that ORB since mine ran 55C (Duron 600@900).

Recently, its become important for me not to go any deafer than I am now. Constant whine from a FOP-38 will make you tone-deaf over time.

Facts that may help:

With an average of 5-6 PC's running simultaneously 24/7 in my home-office I'm looking at new solutions.
    I'm experimenting with the Coolermaster 6H11. By itself will sustain mild OverClocks. Out-performs any GORB. Sitting in the LIAN-LI however, its performance improves. Noise level ? Minimal.

What's the deal? :

There are (2) 90mm fans in the front side by side blowing air in:

And one at the back sucking air out:

While everybody knows this configuration, it is sometimes forgotten. Anyone can slap a FOP-38 on a socket cpu. The TBIRD 800@952 ran at 44.5C with the CoolerMaster 6H11. After firing up the case fans the temp sat at 39.5C after running 3Dmark2000 and the noise level was low. This can be done for less, with any case that will accomodate the fans, but I like the LIAN-LI so much I am planning for another. Being able to control the speed of the fans is important.
    The PC-70 LIAN-LI uses 2 fans to suck air out the back, even more favorable.

Designed to move even MORE air through the case:

This case is on my list. They have a site which shows non-aluminum cases as well: http://www.lianli.com.tw/english/f.htm

Move air...keep your hearing !

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!" Dr. Foxx AMd.

[This message has been edited by DoctorFoxx (edited 03-05-2001).]
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

Thread Information