I really need help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I really need help

I really need help

Hello, I know I have posted this here before but I still cant seem to get it fixed...
    I just built a new system it has
    Asus A7V motherboard
    Hercules Geforce 2 MX
    196 mb PC133 Micron Crucial Ram
    Sound Blaster live! Platinum 5.1 with live drive
    AMD 1ghz tbird cooled by a Chrome orb
    Pioneer 16x DVD drive
    Antec PowerSupply model #PP-303X
    and an IBM 45 gb ATA 100 7200 RPM hard drive

Everything works fine... the bios finds everything the ram, the hd, and the dvd drive fine. but when i try to install windows 98 I get anywhere from it restarting when it gets the the point where it says... copying files to start the setup program...or it gets past that point and gets into the wizard to install but has all the blue screen fatal errors i can think of...First i thought it was heat because it would work a little better when i hadn't used it for a while but then i checked bios hardware monitor and the highest i have ever seen my cpu temp at is 54c... I heard that they can handle up to 70c... Please help me i have tried every single thing i can think of.. Taking all but video card, one stick of ram, cdrom, and hard drive. that didn't work... i tried a different cdrom drive that still didn't work... I even tried to put the hd on a different computer but couldn't get the comp to find it... that was weird because new one finds it just fine... If there is anything any of you could think i could do to try and fix this problem i am having please help. thanks

get a Alpha or fop 32 (38 if you don't mind the noise)

the temp sensors are not very accurate...you might well be hitting 70c under load...

------------------
    Abit KT7-R 1 GHz (Tbird) @ 1.210 100x11.5 1.800v
    105 MHz FSB
    FOP-38
    384 MB SD-133
    2 30 GB ATA-100 (RAID 0)
    60 GB ATA-100 @ 66 (IDE)
    Voodoo 4 4500 AGP
    TV/FM Card
    Poineer 12x DVD
    8x4x32x CD-RW
    TB-Santa Cruz Dolby 5.1
    Abit KT7A-RAID
    1 GHz/266 FSB (Pentium killer)-AXIA @ 1.521 145x10.5 1.81v
    FOP-38/Arctic Silver II
    512 MB SD-133
    2 30 GB ATA-100 (RAID 0)
    60 GB ATA-100 (IDE)
    GeForce2 MX-400 64MB AGP
    19" Veiwsoniq PF-790
    Hauppauge 5.1 TV/FM Card
    Poineer 12x DVD
    8x4x32x CD-RW
    TB-Santa Cruz Dolby 5.1

That seems way too hot. First do you have it overclocked? If not 54c is way too hot for a stock Tbird. Even a cheap generic HSF should do a better job than that. I have a Tbird 800 @ 950 and it only runs between 35c and 40c under full load. Did you put any thermal compound in there when you put it together or did you just use the pad that came with it. I would recommend getting some Arctic Silver. I've heard some people complain about it but it's done great for me. I think you need to concentrate on getting those temps down. Another thing to try is flashing your bios with revision 1003. It has an option in there somewhere that says "PCI master read cache" or something like that. Make sure that is enabled. That dropped my temps 5c. That's about all I can think of.

Your temp is too hot. Dump the Orb and pick up a GlobalWin FOP32-1 for about $20.

http://www.plycon.com/fop321.htm
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

And if it aint heat, you might want to try removing the Sound Blaster Live. I know there aren't supposed to be any problems these days, but with my AMD-751 chipset system I couldn't get a SBLive working with it, so I kicked the SBLive out and got a Sonic Vortex 2 which works fine.

And 1000 posts! Yay.

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

yes you did not mention the heatsink you are using. I hope it is not a CoolerMaster that most bundles ship with. These things are realy bad. Get the FOP32-1. It will help a lot. Make sure it is seated 100% flat and strate. Add a good case fan or two to keep the case cool.

What speed are you at and what voltage are you running? How do you have the drives set up. if they are sharing an IDE cable the hard drive must be set for master and the CD ROM set for slave (there should be little jumpers on the back of the drives). Unlock the CPU's "L1" bridges while you are replacing the heatsink. Down clock the CPU to 800MHz and see if you can get Windows to install.

Also if you check AMD's web site. That particular PS is rated for a 1Ghz, but no more. It might be the power supply is having trouble handling your system.

Also what is your memory set at. Is it set at 100Mhz (HST) or 133Mhz (HST+PCI)? Do you have it set at Cas3 or cas2? Turbo setting? 4-way bank interleave? Is it set to hault on all errors? BIOS setting can push the stability.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Justintime Guest
    I hate coolermaster with an absolute vengance!

------------------
    Jr

You can get the fop 32-1 for $18.50 at www.CoolerChips.com

Its just a stock system no overclock or anything... I did put some generic thermal compound in there but i dont really know if i did it correctly i'll try removing the sound card and see if that works... The ram is set to PC-133 cas 2, the bios is set to halt on all but keyboard. The hard drive is on its own IDE port...I'll see if downclocking it down to 800 will work but if the ps is only rated to 1 ghz you think that might be the problem because i have all that other stuff in there?? Thanks

Okay, first take apart your system and just put the motherboard, CPU, memory, and video card together. You should be able to boot the system. Go into the BIOS and check out your PC temps. It should not be above 50C since you are not overclocking. If it is, then check that you have mounted the heatsink on correctly and make sure you applied only a thin layer of thermal compound on the heatsink. If all goes well, you should be below 50C, easy.

Now, install the hard drive and DVD-ROM, and proceed to install Windows 98. Skip the SB Live as that have cause problems for some people. Check back and let us know how it turned out....

------------------
    ABIT KT7 w/RAID, AMD Duron 600 @ 950mhz, Kingston 256mb PC-100
    IBM 75GXP 15.3gb, Sony 6x DVD-ROM, Plextor PlexWriter 8/4/32
    ATI Rage Fury 32mb, Soundblaster Live! Value, Linksys LNE100TX NIC

Thread Information