mobos...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: mobos...

mobos...

Well, got a penny left after a trip...
    what mobo would you recommend??

Unfortunately it has to be slot-1.. Don't want to rebuild anything.

------------------
    If ya not on the edge, ya take up too much space...
    ugh!

Well... I use an Abit BE6II-v2.0 mb with a slot1, and it rocks. It's stable as hell, and likes to be O/C'd. Plus it has RAID (DMA 100/66).

The ABIT BF6 (of course)
    Same as the BE6-][, without the fancy-schmancy extras. Just pure tweaking power.

This thing is solid as a rock, and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever, so I guess that should count as my warmest recommendation.

------------------
    Carpe noctem!
    Carpe noctem!

Hmmm... ok, still the same ones.. isn't there any "newer" mobos on the market that have Slot-1?? Or has they all started with S370 on the mobo?

I should know this... but doesn't Abit BE6-XX "only" have AGPx2?
    It would be nice to have x4.

------------------
    ugh!

AGP 4X is essentially useless in today's games. And probably tomorrow's as well; you don't want to be transferring texture information over the AGP bus. It's slower than the video card's local memory.

AGP 4X is more of a marketing gimmick than anything particularly useful right now. It might net you a couple frames per second at the most.

That said, I wouldn't look for a BX-type board based only on that. They're still about the best-performing Intel boards around, and the lack of AGP 4x isn't something I'd bemoan too much. If you're not into BX, I believe Abit was making a Slot-1 815 motherboard, but I don't know if it's still in production, etc.

------------------
    It's not me, it's you.
    It's not me, it's you.

Thanx, i've always thought agpx4 was a gimmick.. but i wasn't really sure...
    Have a P3B-F now and it really kicks *** in stability... But times move on, so i thought something new should have reached the market.

Anyone know something about the Asus P3V4X... acc0rding to Tom's Hardware it's pretty stabile.. but i've never trusted VIA...
    Any experience with this mobo?? someone??

------------------
    ugh!

Can't speak for the Via Intel boards, but I've never been particularly satisfied with their Athlon products. Via (Apollo 133) gets consistently outperformed by most Intel (BX, 815)boards anyway; I wouldn't buy one of it was my money (and I had a choice).

How much of a difference you'll actually see in performance is another thing. I don't mean to sway your opinion with hearsay or anything, but if you're looking for a PIII motherboard, I think you'd be happier with an Intel chipset. Abit does make an 815-based Slot 1 board (the SH6).

I think Toolbox had the P3V4X a while back; can't remember right now.

------------------
    It's not me, it's you.
    It's not me, it's you.

Seems like Abit is still one of top choices when it comes to o/cing. I'm still on the good old BX6 r.2.0 with my P3 650@804. I guess its time to upgrade soon i want one of those new Abit mobos damn it, I need a new toy

------------------
    Estimated time it will take me to fix your computer:
    If you leave - 15 min
    If you watch - 1hour
    If you help - 3hours
    Estimated time it will take me to fix your computer:
    If you leave - 15 min
    If you watch - 1hour
    If you help - 3hours

Hehe... well, a friend of mine has the CUSL2 and somehow he convinced me..
    So I prolly going to rebuild my watercooling... (aaarrrghh!)

After reading some, talked around... no one recommends the VIA chipset becuz of the instability and drivers.

Anyhow, (a little change of subject) do you guys have any tips on preventing condensation on a mobo with S370??
    #Rotor, do you read this???
    I need your experience...

------------------
    ugh!

I have used the P3V4X with the ICS clock generator(32 FSB settings)since last summer and I havent had any problems with it.I have a P3 700E that will due 1008 all day long and just recently I have put a P3 850E in it and it will do 1105 with air but I am running it at 1071(still breaking it in).I know VIA doesnt have that good a reputation but the Apollo 133a has been stable for me.

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Search for Abit BE6II-ver2.0 it's very stable and it has all what you need (the Soft menu is great !)
    Celleron 700/788,Abit BE6 II ver2,IBM 30/7200,128 MB IBM SDRAM,Vanta 32MB,Yamaha 719,Rockwell 56k,BTC 24x

Thread Information