Overclocking Cyrix
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking Cyrix

Hybrid View

Overclocking Cyrix

I have a 300 mhz Cyrix prcessor I want to overclock it to 333 or perhaps 366 mhz, can anyone tell me how to do this and also if anyone has was there a vast improvement in performance?

------------------
    Gonzalo Guzman
    Gonzalo Guzman

To be honest, you won't get a major increase in speed I doubt, probably best to upgrade to a K6-2 or K6-+. Also Cyrixes don't O/C that well as they run hot.

------------------
    ...and the 8th and final rule, if this is your first night, you have to fight.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

You need to change the multiplier jumpers to a higher setting. Now it is probably at 66x4.5. Try a 5x or 5.5x multiplier. If it is not stable, you may need to also raise the voltage a few bumps beyond default.

Cyrix, hehehehehe, sorry.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Justintime Guest
    dude, if your mobo can support lower vcore voltages such as 2.2 or 2.4 then i'd slip in a k6 series processor, sorry but k6-III is right, sorry man!..

------------------
    Jr

No point, ditch the cyrix and get a duron, Cyrix -are- rubbish, my PR-200 thought it was a 486

------------------
    Drakion is one of the few unfortunate people who cannot OC (lack of funds, useless mb, no cooling) and can only watch idlely by. Good luck dudes.
    Drakion has recently had his computer go down the drain, and has ended up with a P4.

If you check your manual to see if your motherboard can support 100Mhz FSB and you have 100Mhz RAM then you may be able to re-adjust the FSB and the clock multiplier to improve speed a little. I don't know if this is possible with your PC (it was possible with a Cyrix 333 machine I checked recently as it had PC100 RAM in) but you could try and find out.

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

Thread Information