Lets see how an Itanium 667 benchmarks!!!!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets see how an Itanium 667 benchmarks!!!!!!

Lets see how an Itanium 667 benchmarks!!!!!!

I got this link from JC's. It leads to a Geman website that did some benchmarks and a preview of an Itanium 667Mhz. It was a beta chip and board and a beta version of Wistler 64 Pro Server (a 64 bit version of the next Windows 2000). Here is a jump to the benchmarks:
    http://athewww.bablefish.comna.tweak...ent=191&Page=8

It is in German, but the benchmarks are pretty easy to understand. You must also realise that this is using Intels 32bit morfing code, because the Itanium only runs 64bit. The performance hit is staggering. It gets beat by a Pentium 100MHz system. Hell, on some of the benchmarks a 486DX could beat it. The slivers on the chart are so small for some of the tests, you can barely see them.

This is an Rc5 benchmark:

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

i can only assume that either the bench's are bs or that "code morphin" software is far from tweaked....

The showed lots of pictures including epople from the site holding the Itanium. The gave the exact version number for just about every part. It was also a 10 page review from a fairly good German site. It is likely a combination of the benchmarks, the morphing software, the OS, and the actual design of the Itanium and motherboard (it still uses PC100 SDRAM). Almost everything is beta. I wounder how good it performs on 64bit opperations, given just how poorly it runs 32bit. I think the SledgeHammer will desimate this thing.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

If you beleive those benchmarks you'll beleive anything. I also doubt Intel would release a 667mhz version. Try 1.5ghz +

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Dunno Mr Fats, little birdie is saying they're having trouble getting the clock speed up because of such a complex design.

You'd think Alpha would have 1.0GHz+ chips too, seeing as how innovative they are in archeticture and design.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Originally posted by Mr.FaTs:
    If you beleive those benchmarks you'll beleive anything. I also doubt Intel would release a 667mhz version. Try 1.5ghz +
    If intel and/or AMD can get more performance from a lower clocked chip, I wouldnt see why they would'nt release it. Just coz todays cpu's are running at 1ghz+ doesnt mean that a new chip design can go faster at a lower clock speed.... it IS possible

------------------
    Duron 700@1032 Air Cooled
    ALPHA PAL6035
    Abit KT7 Raid
    IBM 75 GXP UDMA100
    Hercules ProphetII GF2 MX 250/210
    128Mb Crucial PC133 CAS2
    Belinea 10-30-40 17" 0.26
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz S/Card
    ASUS 50x
    Mitsumi 8x 2x CD-R
    Duron 700@1100 2.1v Air Cooled - RIP

that has to be fake....

here's why: if a p100 could beat it, they could easily fit in a million more transistors to just have a p100's core inside. I can't see those being real - unless they have crappy code writers and buggy CPU designs (oh wait - they have twice so far... )

Hopefully thats fake.

------------------
    Impossible? Watch me.
    Impossible? Watch me.

The word BETA means nothing? Maybe they just want to see that everything fits inside the CPU

BTW anyone seen any real Tuatalin previews?

That's going to be one nice chip..
    YOU'D BETTER GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

The speed is write. They are talking about a poosible 800Mhz version if the system actually releases. They have sample set-ups of 8 and 16 Itaniums in a few target markets to test it out. As far as I know the software that the test market is using is basically the same, but they have a newer revision of the CPU and board. I also did point out that the Itanium is designed to run 64bit ONLY and can only do 32 bit with a morfing software that converts the program to 64bit (on the fly I think). They admitted all along that the performance hit was not good, but if this is how bad it is, then no wonder they haven't released it yet. they need some strong 64bit apps to push it to the market.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

600R
    If intel and/or AMD can get more performance from a lower clocked chip, I wouldnt see why they would'nt release it. Just coz todays cpu's are running at 1ghz+ doesnt mean that a new chip design can go faster at a lower clock speed.... it IS possible
    Not for retail it's not. People are stupid - for them MHz is the selling point.
    Granted, it isn't going to be the public that's buying these chips, but exactly that has happend with the P4 - generally slower performance without optimiastions but the higher clock will mkae it sell.

------------------
    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose.

[This message has been edited by a13antichrist (edited 01-24-2001).]

Uhhhh that's Dutch, not German.

------------------
    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose.

Here is a translation of the article. I guess it is getting quite a bit of attension:
    http://athena.tweakers.net/reviews.dsp?Document=204

As noted Intel is supposedly planning on a "pilot release" program of 733 and 800MHz. They point out that the core will likely see some revisions to the core when the 733 and 800Mhz versions are released, but that the big thing will be the 64 bit software layer for Windows Wistle (they said they could not even install half the benchmarks they wanted to test). Also they state the lake of 64bit apps to test it was dissapointing.

They did not try Linix. It looks like they were not too experienced with it and the system was not there's to play with. I think they should have dropped in a differant hard drive with Linux and tested a few things like Quake3 (that they could not get running of Windows.

Another note is that the thing was so heavy it required two people to move and was as loud as a vacuume cleaner.

It sounds like this could be a very nice processor in 2002. It will get a DDR and/or RDRAM support, they will integrate the 4MB cache, and they will add three more stages to the pipeline (bringing it to 10 total). By then some software will support it and it will be manufactured at .13micron. It might run at 1.5Ghz by then. Of coarse it will be running up against a 2+Ghz SledgeHammer that will cost 1/4 the amount and smoke it on 32bit apps.

------------------
    Happiness is manditory.

I'll have to agree with a13antichrist on the MHz selling point (for sales that is), but Intel would release something that is slower in MHz if it is still producing higher performance, remember the 486DX2/4-66/100MHz chips then came the Pentiums at 60MHz. It isn't so odd for Intel to do something like that. Also why can't the benchmarks be real, a Beta is a working model of a chip mainly used to see if it's just working. Honestly, not so long ago the P4 was released with less than exciting benchmark scores. With a combination of beta software, beta hardware and older technology (memory) whatta you guys/gals expect? Beta is where it's standing right now, but when it finalizes I'm sure it will be pretty darn fast, It just doesn't sound so good though when you tell someone you upgraded your 1.5Ghz to a 667Mhz. ;(

------------------
    ASUS P3V4X
    CeleronII 533@800MHz 1.8v
    512MB MICRON PC-133
    Matrox G400MAX
    WD 20GB 7200RPM HD
    DFI CS35-TL i815e-B
    iCeleron 1.3A@1.49GHz
    GlobalWin CAKII-38 HSF
    PNY GF3 Ti-200
    SB Live! 5.1

the whole reason why itanium hasnt been around much is that it doesnt run much fater than 800mhz. they cant ramp the chip speed up and the die is alomst twice the size of the p4, no room for a p100 core.

Hi, I'm the author of the review and I can assure you these are real benchmarks. People who don't believe me can recieve 2048x1536 original pictures of me holding the CPU in my hands.

And no we cannot give you pictures of the system because every last part of it is marked and could be used to trace the owner(s), who will be in trouble if this should leak.

[This message has been edited by Wouter Tinus (edited 01-24-2001).]

Thread Information