Please advise on fan/hs options.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Please advise on fan/hs options.

Please advise on fan/hs options.

I just had built a socketA T-Bird 1.1G system on a Gigabyte GA-7DXC mobo. I used the retail box CPU fan/HS. I DO NOT plan to overclock at all, so should I be ok with the OEM fan/hs. I know it would be even better with a good aftermarket combo, but should I have anything to worry about with the OEM if I don't overclock? Either way, what are some good aftermarket combos for the socketA T-Bird? Something that will cool more efficiently and will fit w/o modification. Thanks in advance.

dock44, be aware that is no defacto OEM HSF. Simply by being OEM, it refers to a T-Bird that comes without an official HSF as supplied by AMD. Thus your retailer can sell you that OEM T-Bird with any compatable HSF (usually CoolerMaster, Taisol) out on the market or without one at all.

For your needs, an Alpha PAL 6035 or a Global Win FOP-32 are probably good choices. My nod goes to the Alpha for superior construction/design.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

No you dont need new cooler that will do fine No cooler ever made a stock CPU overheat! God damn people! It says under this article that AMD made the cpu for anysituation posible so no need to panic!
    Alex D

------------------
    WRMMMMM
    Excuse Me! What ya said? I can't HEAR YOU
    The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm

serb2, calm down and understand that OEM coolers are selected almost solely on cost rather then performance and thus most of them have relatively poor performance. I ran a T-Bird 1.1GHz CPU with the CoolerMaster (typical OEM HSF) + Artic Silver and although it was comparable in size to the Alpha in terms of dimensions, it kept full load temps up into the 55 - 58C region. I switched out the CoolerMaster with an Alpha + Artic Silver and got temps in the 43 - 46C range. I even repeated twice to ensure it was not a fluke.

Higher CFMs, superior materials, better design and increased mass were all availiable in the Alpha but lacking in the OEM HSF.

Even if you're not overclocked, what's $30 for some added peace of mind?

------------------

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

If you intend to keep the HSF that came with the processor, you can remove it, clean it up and apply thermal compound/grease to get the most out of it.
    Globalwin is probably the most bang for the buck choice. If you dislike noise however, you may have to change the fan.
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I am not saying anything I dont like them either that is why i got 5 diff colers! LOL
    CHROME ORB, FOP38, FOP32-1, and tailsol! But now i am using the new ALPHA 6035MCF and its cool! All i was saying is taht AMD designed coolers are more than you can get!
    Alex D

------------------
    WRMMMMM
    Excuse Me! What ya said? I can't HEAR YOU
    The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm

Thread Information