How hot is too hot
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How hot is too hot

Hybrid View

How hot is too hot

Alright. Another stupid mistake. I accidentaly put too much arctic silver on my AMD T-bird and when I looked at how hot it was in my BIOS it said 90 degrees celsius. Could this damage my t-bird. I shut it off right away as soon as I saw the temp. So then I corrected my error and put the proper amount of arctic silver on. At the same time my case was open I sold 128 megs of very good RAM so now I only have 256 megs of generic RAM. So then I started my computer and my gigabyte motherboard posted "Checking NVRAM..." and stopped there, twice. I'm hoping this is a RAM problem because I really don't feel like buying another t-bird. Also, once it posts "Checking NVRAM..." I have to do a hard shut down (hold the power button 5 seconds" for it to shut off. So, does 90 degrees celcius kill my CPU?
    AMD Thunderbird 800Mhz@802Mhz
    nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32MB 210/390
    384MB PC133 SDRAM
    Sound Blaster Live!
    30GB IBM 75GXP

56K of AOHELL!

I don't think you Killed it if it was for a short amount of time. I read an article last week by AMD that the Classic was built for 70C and the T'bird 90C. I doubt they would last long if run at that temperature constantly though.

------------------
    Florida voter

don

Can I kiss you. You just through 150 dollars of pennies of my shoulder (150 dollars is how much a new CPU would cost and pennies are heavy ) Very good, thank you very much. I'll buy that ram back from my friend because that seems to be the problem.
    AMD Thunderbird 800Mhz@802Mhz
    nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32MB 210/390
    384MB PC133 SDRAM
    Sound Blaster Live!
    30GB IBM 75GXP

56K of AOHELL!

I too hope it is a RAM problem. Good luck.

------------------
    Florida voter

don

Thread Information