ways to cool your OCed computer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ways to cool your OCed computer

ways to cool your OCed computer

I'm gonna plan to overclock my 1.2GHz Athlon, and I need ways to cool it. How do you guys cool your system. I heard people overclocked their computer an extra 400MHz!! There has to be some way besides just fans and heatsinks right?

------------------
    It's not so bad..... it's not so bad.

water cooled is how i go

------------------
    Funny how thing's are found to cause cancer in lab rat's in califorina but no where else!!
    Funny how thing's are found to cause cancer in lab rat's in califorina but no where else!!

water! I love it!

------------------
    A man is offered either infinite wisdom, or infinite money. He chooses the wisdom, thinks for a minute, and realizes he should have taken the money.
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

The 1.2Ghz Athlon produces a lot of heat. A headhog with a ducted 92mm case fan might keep it cool enough to hit 1.3-1.4Ghz, but for the best results, you either sink $650 into a case and get a VapoChile case with active refrigerant cooling to about -10'C or you set up a water cooling system with peltiers.

With something like a FOP32-1 youmight get to 1.3Ghz, but you will be running a bit on the warm side.

You also need good case cooling. A blow hole in the side and top along with the fan up front and in back will help, but the best way is to duct the heatsink to a fan mounted in the back or side of the case to draw the heat directly out. Then add a slot cooler to remove the heat from the graphics card. Bay coolers might help too. If you use water cooling you can also cool the graphics card that way (dont try peltiers though).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information