The man told me they would have to reprogram the cas3 pc133 ram to cas2 pc133; what??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: The man told me they would have to reprogram the cas3 pc133 ram to cas2 pc133; what??

The man told me they would have to reprogram the cas3 pc133 ram to cas2 pc133; what??

I currently have pc100 ram in my 800e. I went to the computer store at my school today and the guy told me that he can order in the cas2 pc133 but it would take a couple days. This because they would have to program into the ram cas2. I was not aware that cas2 and cas3 were simply programs that are imbedded into the chip. I always thought that it was a circuit that made it cas2 or cas3. Anyone got some info on this one?

------------------
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    32mb Hercules 3d Prophet II MX dual display
    256mb pc100 super pc memory
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    256mb pc133 cas2 super pc
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Unless that man is a SDRAM manufacturer, he's lying. He can't REPROGRAM the SDRAM for CAS2. That involves programing the SPD (serial presence detect) EPROM that contains timing information such as CAS settings.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Doesn't sound very likely to me. As far as I know the RAS/CAS timings are latency settings, limited by the quality of the ram chips.

Heh - I'd like to see him "reprogram" a P!!!550 into a 1GHz

------------------
    -15c and counting...
    Carpe noctem!

Damn you S_Klass! Beat me to the first post for the millionth time

------------------
    -15c and counting...
    Carpe noctem!

You order it. They ship it. You install it. Then you go into the system BIOS and change one setting from case 3 to cas2, save, and exit.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

The chip is being sent from a ram manufacturer, super pc ram or some sh**. That is who is supposedly reprogramming the cas3 to cas2. As dsmink said I thought it depended on the quality of the ram chips. They are saying that they can reprogram the chips to cas2. Seems weird to me but you may be right s_klass.

------------------
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

[This message has been edited by ol* man (edited 01-10-2001).]
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Tell them to explain exactly what they did, then be like, "no you didn't, you reprogrammed it." And see what they say

------------------
    A man is offered either infinite wisdom, or infinite money. He chooses the wisdom, thinks for a minute, and realizes he should have taken the money.
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Some mobos don't allow you to change the CAS settings. The mobo goes by what the ram is programmed with, ie. CAS 2-2-2 or CAS 3-3-3 or other variations. Mushkin did that with one of their ram stick because the ram ran fine at CAS 2-2-2 but since it was programmed at CAS 3-2-2 the mobo was picking that up and going with that setting with no way of adjusting it. This is something the memory manufacturer has to do (like S_Klass said). You can't just reprogram it yourself. Also, the ram HAS to run completely stable for them to do it too. You can't just get PC100 that will barely do CAS 3-3-3 and reprogram it to run at CAS 2-2-2. If you do, you'll have system that won't even boot.

I guess it was never discussed about doing the switcheroo to ram my self. Apparently the manufactuer can reprogram their already made cas3 pc133 to cas2 pc133. I should have asked him to reprogram them to cas2 pc150 That was what I originally asked for.

------------------
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Actually the SPD on MANY MANY ram chips IS programmable still you just need the right tools ( you can do it from your pc ). However i would never never trust anyone who says the have to reprogram it.. hell 128 mb cas2 pc133 sticks are $60 why bother with possible shoddy materials?

oh and while i was on it.. usually the cas/ras speeds are set not by the chips themselves but by the pcb.. if it cheap usually the traces are rough and uneven and latency goes up due to electrical difffrences, signals arrive slightly later the faster you go the worse it gets.. very high quality pcb ( very short and very conductive ( gold,silver etc.. ) will have very low latency.. ( which just happens to be why the kingmax is doing so good the chips have the shortest trace lengths of any ram manufacturer except RDRAM ( ew! ).. rdram's traces are basically almost like a cpu die and are etched which is why the stuff cost so much! )

Thread Information