curse the noise, any way to measure the decibels?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: curse the noise, any way to measure the decibels?

curse the noise, any way to measure the decibels?

okay, i'm trying to see if it's worth it to rip out this tormenting psu i have and replace it with a pc power & cooling ultra-quiet. there's no decibel reading for mine so i was wondering if anyone has written a decibel meter using the microphone (is this possible?). it would help a lot in both isolating sources of noise and if it's actually that loud. i think my head's about to explode when all drives are active .

And about the typical retail intel cpu fans? are these things loud? should i replace them with gorbs?

thx!
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    2 * 40gig maxtors in RAID
    2 * 15gig maxtors in RAID
    1 * 20gig maxtor

Deanril Guest
    I have a simple temparary solution for ya!

I too hate the noise.drives me nut,I am in the works of building a sound proof case,with good cooling.just havent thought of anything,PERFECT,yet will soon though .

Take a Blanket and rap it or cover the top and sides of the case,not the front or back just the top and sides this will cut atleast 50% or more of your noise tempararily.

That fan and power supply just humm through the case,the case is almost an amplifier,so just try it,I think youl like it,and if asked tell them your computer has a cold,lol.

heyo,
    heh i thought it sounded crazy, but basically in my computer room i have 3 boxes, so yea the combined hum was causing some insanity. on my two mid towers, i placed some very nice HEAVY blankets, and WOW! i can't hear them anymore essentially, that was a surprise, and something i'm really glad to hear.

on my full tower, the one i'm using, not so much luck, the lil' bastard's still screaming, although muffled a bit. it seems now though, that if i replace just the power supply with an ultra quiet, it may actually work.

thx for the tip!
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

hm, but a quick question for those who own power supplies from pc & power cooling inc, are they actually that much quieter?
    all input is greatly appreciated i woudl replace the fan but i'm quite sure there is a lot of humming coming from the psu itself.
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

Deanril Guest
    Well you can get a little trickier with the blanket,but you need to watch (pay attention) to your cpu/mobo temps,the Fan for the power supply is on the top back of the case,so take that blanket and let it touch the wall ,so basicly from the top of your case to the wall,blanket,this will muffle that ps fan for sure,infact,unless you have like 2 or 3 intake fans up front this will kill 80% of noise.

all that noise comming from back will be gone,experiment a bit,this will give you some sanity,I currently am doing this,but when I figure out my new case srategy Ill post the results,I want to make a case out of something other than a case,a neat piece of furnature a ??? something other,I may use parts of my case frame,but the rest will be something cool,just havent found it yet,and then I will insulate the case and make it almost sound proof with intake and exaust ducting aswell.

spa.ere

ask Toolbox. he has the Turbo Cool from PCPowercooling.

the fan on the Turbo PS is rated at 44db that should give you an idea if you know the make of the fan on your existing PS.

If you have a Dremel. eliminating the flat-faced output fans will help the noise if you have any exhaust fans. I've done this on mine and my Sunon 90'mm output fan is more than tolerable.

I have a 92'mm exhaust fan from PCPowercooling...it's dead-quiet...it also doesn't push much air out ...so I took it out.

If your not overclocking...you can reduce noise by NOT getting the biggest CPU fan on your heatsink....sure you knew that already.

get some cheap dampening material...this should help with the case vibrations..which also contributes to the noise level. put it on both side panels and wherever else ther was space in my case.

-got this tip from S-Klass
    http://www.i-mcm.com/Search/level_5....16&SKUID=38560

12$ should be enough for all your puters.

------------------
    ...everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....
    ...everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....

Just curious, what brand of power supply are you using?
    Enermax and the ones from Antec were supposed to be quiet as well.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

i've got the aopen 300W that came with my case, the hx08, nice case, but loud as heck. anyone else here have the hx08?

about thouse sound dampeners, i've heard lots of talk about them, do i have to apply it to the entire case or just a significant area that'll absorb the vibration?.

deanril: yep, i think i should try that cos it really is that awful crap sound spewing out the back that's the most irritating. in fact, it's sort of pointed towards a corner that echoes the sound around the whole room. how i wish i could stick it in the garage and have the cables just come in through a hole in the wall.. hey, it's toronto, if i coudl put it outside i woudln't need to worry about cooling anymore either :P. unfortunately i think my psu is really worked too so it's really warm, the air coming out is pretty hot, it's powering a geforce with 64 megs ddr, 6 hdd's, 2 cd's etc.. but really, keep me posted on what you end up doing, i'm pretty interested. good luck!

specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

Deanril Guest
    I replaced the fan I had in my 300 watt ps.

Thew thing was way load,I suggest you do the same,there are many places to buy those size fans,all you have to do is take ps out and open it,then splice in the new fan,took about 10 minutes,made about a 50% noise improvement,one of these fans are like $5-15 Its worth it!!

hm, alright, i'll head out and pick up a quiet fan sometime. hopefull it'll work.

i came across this site in case you want to incorporate some of the ideas into your invention

49 ideas for silence
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

Deanril Guest
    Kewl thanx

Thread Information