FAN/PowerSupply/Overclocking
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: FAN/PowerSupply/Overclocking

FAN/PowerSupply/Overclocking

I am done sooo much reading it is not funny on these topics.
    Anywayz. I have a enligh 7237 case with 250 watt ps, I have a kt7raid with only 1 hard drive 1 cdrom 1 cdrw and 1 ls drive=addsup to 4 drives different wattage etc..
    i also have an athlon tb 700 with a taisolcheap model) fan cooling it to around 44 degrees or so when playing unreal for prolonged period of time.
    i have geforce 2 mx without any fan(might be the cause for my problems).... the case has one fan only.... i also have a yamaha sound card and netgear 311fx? nic ... also i have a tekram 395u scsi card...

anywayz lets get down to the problems
    i have clocked my cpu to 800 using a 8x multipler and 1.725 voltage ... it ran stable for 18 hours( i just felt like ididn't need to test more). using a 100% cpu load no graphics tho...and it didn't get hotter than umm 47.5 degrees... however i started playing unreal and after few rounds.. it crashed.. temp was high... so i am thinking it was way too high temp and the signal was getting through....

so there are few solutions that i have come up with can anybody tell me which ones i should choose..

1) buy a better cpu fan (what is a good one that is cheaper than 30 bucks and quiet.. the hedgehoge is way too expensive for me)
    2) buy a 2nd fan for my case in the back of the case (remember i said i have enlight case can you tell me what size i need???)
    3) because i am going to add another fan at least... would i need to buy a 300 power supply???
    4) get some cooling for the stupid video card, cause it might be producing too much heat since my crashes seem to only happen in unreal!
    5) just quit overclocking.. (but i hate that solution!!))

Thank you, and sorry for the long message

------------------
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Yeah, you probably need batter cooling but you probably will need the 300W power supply to get more cooling. I suggest that you get another HD of the same size and use your raid as well. So get a 400W PS and buy a few 120mm fans to draw air in and out of your case. 400W PS is a very good idea and will make a big difference if you use the raid setup.

I wonder why did you buy a raid Mobo and have only one HD????
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

1)400 ps.. that is going to be alot of money i believe, if i am not mistaken..
    2) is the back fan 120mm size??
    3) i only have 1 hd cause thats all i have money for that atm.. in few months i should be able to get money..

------------------

The back of your enlight case is either 90mm or 80mm, don't remember. My Enlight case has an 80mm hole at the back for an extra exhaust fan, but mine is a different model.

You could try putting a fan on your video card and see if it helps, a pentium/486 fan would be fine.

------------------
    Visit http://pub24.ezboard.com/bultrabytecomputingforum

Never mind the dog, beware of the owner.

HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797
    HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

Definitely add the second case fan; if you've only got the one in front drawing in air, you're probably not creating quite enough airflow in an overclocked environment. An 80mm case fan isn't very expensive, ten dollars or so.

The next step would be to upgrade to a 300w power supply, maybe more if you plan to actually use the RAID setup in your 'puter. At 300-400 watt range, you can usually find a good deal for under a 100 dollars; it's a worthwhile upgrade that you should take into account. A decent (AMD-approved) 300 watt could run you as little as 50 bucks; check AMD's website for a listing of approved power supplies at the speed you intend to run your processor at.

If you're O/Cing the t-bird, get a good aftermarket heatsink/fan combo and some decent thermal compound. Alot of people like the Alpha hsf's, but they're pricey. GlobalWin hsf's are a little more of a balance between cost/effectiveness. A GlobalWin FOP-32 should be good enough for your needs, and they usually run around 20 dollars, depending on where you get them. An old 486 fan/sink combo should work just fine for your Geforce MX.

You can usually pick up case fans and heatsinks from the same place and save a little on the shipping. I would definitely get the case fan and a decent cooler for my CPU. Worry about the power supply when you've got the money to buy a good one; don't skimp out on a cheapo there.

------------------
    It's not me, it's you.
    It's not me, it's you.

Thread Information