Freon cooled computers question.........
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Freon cooled computers question.........

Freon cooled computers question.........

I got an idea for the WB above that I made. What if you hooked it up to a compressor with freon and let it cool with that I never though about it when I made it but I bet it would work great for that also. Thing is though you will have to make your mobo so it is flat like in a desk top not a tower system. That is the same reason why you can't run a fridge that is meant to be upright on its side. I think Kryotech uses this type of setup if I am not mistaken. It seems to me it could be a quite cheap setup actually. You would just have to find a old regrigerator or even a used compressor from a refrigerator repair shop or even a junk yard for that matter. I know when you have a refrigerator that you have to let it sit upright to let the freon run back down into the condensor or it can burn it out or something like that. The same goes for this in a way. I believe the freon would have to kinda sit in a puddle on top of the cpu and if the chip was side ways it wouldn't work you see cause the blunt of the coolant would be on the side not on top of the cpu. My uncle said that the refrigerator should be on its side for something like 24 hours just to be safe but I have done it in a few hours. I have a college type refrigerator here that I just might have to tear apart some day I guess the bigger your compressor the better the cooling is going to be as in a freezer type. Maybe that will be the way to go. One of my first posts here was about using a refrigerator or freezor to cool your computer, I never knew it would come to this. Well maybe all that chemistry I have taken will come to good use sooner than I though.

ol' man
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    32mb Hercules 3d Prophet II MX dual display
    256mb pc133 cas2 super pc
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Here is what kryotechs computer innerds look like. There's is not on its side but they must still have a set up where a large slug is cooling the chip cause you need a good evaporation area I would think and I would guess the larger the better.

This picture below shows what I am speaking about when I say "good evaporation area." Area A would be your puddle of coolant while B would be your coolant intake and C would be your evaporated coolant out. So you see with this design you would need your mobo flat as maybe you can see.

You would probably have to make a ATX towercase where the mobo is flat or simply run your case on it side. Granted that would be one wide tower case but for this possible design that is what you would need I believe. It would probably add like 3 to 4 inches on to the size of a normal case.

To cool with nitrogen you could use the same set up but I believe you would need a better condensor. I think that would get you down to -100 deg. C or colder. The bp. for N2 is
    -196 deg. C. So if you had a nice puddle of N2 collecting on top of your proccessor you would have some good low temps I would guess. You would definatly need some high pressure hoses and a compressor that could handle the pressure also but it would be a wild experience! I would assume that the compressor would be quite loud also so that would be one area in which research would be involved also.

ol' man

[This message has been edited by ol* man (edited 12-03-2000).]
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

www.vapochill.com
    as far as how the evaporator in it looks it about the size of a matchbox approx 2"x3.5". There is one line coming in about 3/8" but with in is a small 1-2 mm line that supplies compressed liquid coolant and the rest is the evaporated gas that goes back uo the outside to the condenser.. as ong as there is more pressure on the small line with the liquid the gas will always go up the outside of the large line, however i have had my althon heat up the evaporator so quickly that it will flash boil the coolant and hard lock the compressor so that both lines are pressurized... that equals solder melting out of the junctions of the chip in about 2.5 mins.. from experience of course

[This message has been edited by Paragon (edited 12-03-2000).]

Freon cooled or water cooled peltier systems are just fine but I'm still at odds with how to solve the condensation issues inherent in the Socket A design. (at least in the UK with our humid damp climate)

Definitely not as easy as the slot design.

Any ideas?, without using four tubes of silicon sealant that is

You will need a air tight area for your CPU and MOBO. With this you could use a Calcium Chloride or other alkyli metal salts such as Sulphates also. They are known to remove moisture very rapidly from the air around them. This is know as being hydroscopic. This is one option. Another would be using a dehumidifier like they have for homes. I am confused as to what parts of the socket is forming condesation. You would really want to have the cooling unit completely sealed. This would mean having all metal parts involved with the cooling to be covered by a insulating material so that there would be no condesation.

I don't know because I have never done any of this stuff but I do know that the salt mixes really do suck all the moisture out of air in a air tight container. You could put this in a pan at the bottom of your airtight case. In fact that would work good as long as your vid card didn't need alot of air flow. Maybe you would want to make a little WB for that also I don't know since there would be no cooling air going through your case
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Sealing a Socket-A..........

like so.........
    the problem

the solution....

combined with hydroscopics, as Ol*man said, will have you one very effective home made insulation solution that will kick ***...

------------------
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)
    This is my website

Hadn't thought of the salts, like silica gel I suppose that you some times get in packages with new goods made of metal to help stop rust.

Maybe your climate isn't as damp, but water seems to hang in the air in large buckets full here . What I'm concerned about is the air that will be trapped in the socket itself when you seal it up, (as it is a partial hollow design), that will have the potential to release it's moisture on below zero cooling cycles. this could then cause either corrosion or at worst a short circuit on the CPU pin ends.

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 12-04-2000).]

Vaceline......

works wonders and keeps the pins from forming dry joints as well.... I use it in all my PCI slots, Ram slots everywhere...

------------------
    My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)
    This is my website

Hey Rotor Not sure I want any more details of the "everywhere" you use it

I always used it on car battery terminals to stop corrosion, and It is not conductive at all then??

Sounds good.

ol' man
    PIII 800e
    Tyan Trinity 400
    10gb Maxtor HD
    100mb zip
    Actima 52x cdrom

Thread Information