I'm totally stumped........... I have a theory, but I'm not sure..... Help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I'm totally stumped........... I have a theory, but I'm not sure..... Help!

Hybrid View

I'm totally stumped........... I have a theory, but I'm not sure..... Help!

My Duron temps are way out of whack! Here are current system specs:

AMD Duron 700@950
    1.8v core for stability
    ALPHA PAL6035 w/60mm YS Tech fan
    Abit KT7 RAID
    300w PS with fan exhausting
    TwinTurbo cooler mounted in top 5.25" bay (it uses 2 - 92mm fans for exhausting air)
    1 - 80mm Sunon HO in the lower front of case for intake
    1 - 80mm Sunon HO mounted in the side of the case right above the CPU/Heatsink. It blows fresh outside air in on top of the CPU/Heatsink/Northbridge area. Mainly on the heatsink.
    My internal case temps never break 29c max.

Here's my problem. At idle, the CPU is at 30c as seen here:

That is fine, I can live with that temp. But when I'm running WinApps with about 50% CPU load, my temps reach 50c. That is way to hot for me and I think that is a huge swing for 50% load. Also, when 3D gaming or CD Burning, at 100% CPU load, my temps reach 60+c as seen here:

This temp is entirely to damn hot!!! I think that a 34 degree temp swing from idle is ridiculous. I don't believe my heatsink is doing it's job properly. I think my blowhole is doing most of the cooling here. I have tried several things:

ALPHA fan sucking
    ALPHA fan blowing
    Reseated the heatsink several times
    Reapplied thermal grease (Radio Shack stuff)

Nothing seems to help except when I bend my ALPHA clip to apply more pressure. When I do this, the temps are much better for a day or so. Then it seems like the clip gets weak again. My theory is that since my ALPHA clip is old and been used for peltiers, ss7 chips, etc. that it is to weak and won't hold the proper pressure to keep good contact with the CPU core hence not cooling up to capacity.

Do you guys think this theory is right? I have a new GlobalWin FOP38 on order, but it's going to be a few days yet before it gets here. I'd like to get this figured out soon. Suggestions and ideas would be helpful and appreciated!

Thanks in advance to all!

------------------
    Duron 700@950
    Abit KT7 RAID

http://members.tripod.com/athlon100/index.htm]AMDnut's Tech Page
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

I think your theory is sound, maybe you could replace the clip with one off an old heatsink.
    Inwin Q500 FT
    IWILL KK266
    640 mb PC-100
    Duron 1 Ghz
    Gforce 4 MX 420
    Mini Super Orb
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    Philips 24/12/40
    Philips 107S 17" Monitor
    Logitech Z-340s
    Win XP Pro

You will probably find it is the heatsink. you also have a 1.86v vcore and are running at 950mhz all adding to the heat.

You will also get a big difference between idle temp and half/full load as it appears you are running a CPU idle program. If you are not using CPU idle or Rain, Windows is most likely running it's own CPU idle software called Msidle, (do a search in C: for it) If you find it try to delete it. If you can't Windows is using it. You must have some kind of HLT software to get 30C idle with a 29C system temp. Go into the Bios and see what you idle temp is with out Windows running.

I recently reduced my temps significantly with a heatsink change:-

Currently running a 1Gig T-bird @ 1.2Gig and I was using a Hedgehog Copper heatsink.

To get stable at 1.2gig I am using a KT7 Raid with an unlocked Cpu (penciled bridges) running at 1.9v, (set to 1.85 but giving 1.9)

The above would get too much for the Hedgehog after extended gaming periods and eventually get to 60C !!!!!!!!!!!
    This is with plenty of fans in the heatsink area as well.

I had a spare Alpha P3125 (slot 1) heatsink kicking about so I cut and ground out relief holes for the capacitors and other obstructions while still keeping the maximium size of the oblong heatsink.

This has resulted in a gaming max of 41c and an idle of 25c (with Msidle) in a room temp of 23C. I have one "Alpha" fan on top of the Alpha sucking and two below blowing.

This is still temporary as water cooling coming soon to remove ALL fans from my system.

This is a copper shim for Durons and T-birds which helps heat transfer and heatsink stability.

You should also get some Artic Silver paste for better heat transfer.

Or one of these babies if you want to cool her properly

here's an interesting h/f that employs copper plate to the heatsink as you can see in the pics.
    http://www.step-thermodynamics.com/E...ingSystems.htm

Yeah but like all socket a heatsinks, too small imho. still haven't found anything to beat these, also copper insert

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 12-04-2000).]

here's the other copper spacer i meant to put up earlier which might help add pressure to the clip. if they weren't so fragile or pressure sensitive i'd say grab another clip and use it for the time being but having heard the problems a few months ago with the wrong h/f from another company think we all know about that.
    http://www.3dcool.com/thunderbirdspacer.shtml

Well, I did a search and no MSidle anywhere to be found. I searched a couple of times. I have a lot of airflow in the case so a 3-4c difference between case temp and CPU core at idle doesn't seem unbelievable... Right now, surfing the net, running WinAmp, the temps are 27c internal with 41c CPU core temp. I think it's the heatsink giving me the problems.....

I like the idea of the copper spacer. Do you need to run thermal grease all over the spacer or just lay it in place to aid in heat transfer? I've seen the Step heatsinks before but I don't know anyone who is running one so I haven't considered them. I've heard a lot of great things about the FOP38 due to the Delta fan. I geuss I'll know more when it gets here. I also have an older GlobalWin FEP32 that I might be able to fit to the board with a little grinding!

I'll have to order some Arctic Silver and maybe one of those spacers. Thanks for the reply guys!

Any other ideas / suggestions??? I'll post when I get it figured out.....

------------------
    Duron 700@950
    Abit KT7 RAID

http://members.tripod.com/athlon100/index.htm]AMDnut's Tech Page
    Main DVD MM Rig:
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout
    AM3 Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.6 ghz
    Corsair H50 Watercooling kit
    4.0 GB AData DDR3
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Mainboard
    Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Samsung 750GB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    Western Digital 1.0TB 7200rpm w/32mb cache
    LG 20x DVDRW-DL "SuperDrive"
    PNY GeForce 9800gt 1024mb w/Samsung 245BW 24" LCD
    Corsair 620w Modular Power Supply
    Logitech z-640 5.1's
    Logitech Wireless Mouse
    Win 7 Ultimate........

The Step Thermo HSF leave plenty to be desired IMHO. The design of the HSF looks to be inherently poor and the quality is shoddy too. On a Step Thermo Athy 600 @ 750 they used a relatively small/short finned heatsink about 3/4 inch height and 4 pieces 60mm fans stacked 2 high. In a period of 1 year, 3 of those 4 fans failed and because they used low profile (10mm height) fans instead of regular 25mm height fans they had low CFMs and were noisy too (due to double stacking). I ended up recommending 2x YS Tech 60mm fans and they performed better (4C improvement with consistant case temp) and were quieter.

The only thing special about Step's HSF is they used a thermal epoxy to bond the heatsink to the decased processor. I was not impressed.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

[This message has been edited by S_Klass (edited 12-04-2000).]
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I have seen some places that carry the clips for the Alphas. Heres one for $5 (plus shipping):
    http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/1/66.htm?687

Also are you using thermal grease or silver grease (or even the thermal pad)? The grease seems to break down after about 2-5 days when my Duron was at 950Mhz. At 900Mhz it takes about a month for the temp to go up about 1'C. It looks like AMD was right about the need for thermal pads. I used one on onther Duron at 900Mhz and a GlobalWin FOP32-1 and it runs 33-37'C (and that was after 3 hours of Nascar3).

Another trick is too reverse the fan. This dropped my temp by about 3'C. It might help stablize the max temp.

But more than likely it is the clip. If you can not mantain good suface contact with the CPU, than the temp will keep rising.

WARNING*****************************
    Also, does the Alpha have a lip along one edge of the heatsink to stabalise it. If it does, you are in trouble. That lip is too high for the SocketA CPU's. You need to file that lip off so the heatsink will sit FLAT on the CPU. I had this problem with my heatsink (again from a K6-2 system with a YS-Tech 60mm fan added). My system kept locking up and would run VERY hot (about the same as with the stock heatsink it shipped with) at only 850Mhz.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I'll agree wholeheartedly about the not-so-great quality of the STEP products. I was stupid enough to buy the slot-a version (and am regretting it to this day). Any company that has to toot their own horn as much as they do must be blowing smoke up your a** to cover the truth. My step was (is) loud as a jet engine and I don't think much of its cooling ability either. I'd tear the thing off if it wasn't epoxied to the cpu like it is...so in short, I wouldn't mess with them. Better off taking your chances on your own.

------------------
    It's not me, it's you.
    It's not me, it's you.

Thread Information