Newbie trying to overclock a new system!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Newbie trying to overclock a new system!!

Newbie trying to overclock a new system!!

Due to an unfortunate error resulting in the death of my old P75 I have decided to upgrade to the following.
    AMD Duron 700Mhz
    Gigabyte GA-71-xe4 Socket A
    128 Mb Sdram
    Rage Fury Maxx 64mb
    Soundblaster 128 PNP PCI

Already in the system(the bits that survived)
    40x cd rom drive
    7 gig hdd

windows 98
    ami bios.

does anyone know how easy it would be to overclock this - as i have never done it before. is there any known compatability issues with the above system that anyone knows about - if so can u let me know.

------------------
    If it ain't broke - Don't fix it!!

First of all, welcome to HWC. Another oc-addict to join the group

There are a few things you can do to oc your system: setting the multiplier to a higher value and raising the FSB are most common. You're CPU probably has a multiplier of 7 and a FSB of 100 (7*100=700)
    If you set the multiplier to 8 and leave the FSB at 100, you'll have (8*100=800 MHz). Raising the FSB to let's say 110 gives (8*110=880 MHz) If your system gets unstable at that frequenty you can set the corevoltage to a higher value, but I would personally not set it higher than +0,3 V than the default value.
    You can also think of setting your memory to 2-2-2 to make your system faster, but this will probably only work if you have good RAM.
    If you're oc-ing your system, don't forget to cool the system properly; the CPU will take temperatures up to 60 deg. Celsius, but it won't take that very long. A idle temperature of 30-40 degrees and 40-45 degrees at full load will be fine.
    Don't forget to set your PCI and AGP dividers to the right values; the PCI may not take higher frequenties than 41.5 MHz, so if you have a FSB of 110, the frequenty of the PCI will be (1/3*110=36.7) when your divider is set to 1/3. If you have high FSB frequenties you must set your AGP-divider to 2/3 (or better: 1/2 if your mobo supports that) Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun

------------------
    The world is the cradle of mankind, but man can't stay in the cradle forever - Konstantin Tsiolkovski

Your motherboard is not very good for overclocking because it doesn't support multiplier adjustment. All you might be able to do is raise the FSB to appx 108 getting you 756 mhz.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

which mother board would you reccomend for over clocking - as i haven't bought any of the above yet.

im still trying to raise funds. since i have never attempted this before would it be possible to leave out the initals and put in full words (ie fsb - front system bus). thanxs

------------------

The ASUS A7V if you don't need or want any ISA slots- this one wins by a hair in most performance tests. Or the ABIT KT7 if you need one ISA slot. The ABIT board can be overclocked via the BIOS, the ASUS uses jumpers. And, the Microstar (MSI) k7T-Pro (reviewed at Anandtech). The other mobos don't allow you to adjust the cpu voltage AND multiplier AND FSB, (unless I'm missing one).

Hey Shadowfax; Why, oh why didn't u give a warm wellcome likt that when I joined the OC clan???

And about the mobo thing; I'm using a Abit KT7 Raid... That works nioce for me... OC'ed my TBird 850 to 1150 mhz...

------------------
    by FiXXer:
    AMD tBird 950@1150Mhz
    2x128 MB RAM PC133
    some Gig of diskspace
    Aopen DVD1640Slot inn (no region for me)
    Plextor 12/10/32 BurnProof
    Creative Geforce2 GTS Annhilator 2
    huge tower...
    by fIxx3r:
    AMD tBird 950@1000Mhz
    2x128 MB RAM PC133
    some Gig of diskspace
    Aopen HQ08 tower
    --------------------
    On Error Resume Next

http://web.bu.it-akademiet.no/wmd3nicholasa

sorry: I ment a Tbird 950 to 1150

------------------
    by FiXXer:
    AMD tBird 950@1150Mhz
    2x128 MB RAM PC133
    some Gig of diskspace
    huge tower...
    by fIxx3r:
    AMD tBird 950@1000Mhz
    2x128 MB RAM PC133
    some Gig of diskspace
    Aopen HQ08 tower
    --------------------
    On Error Resume Next

http://web.bu.it-akademiet.no/wmd3nicholasa

Which would you personally go for the abit kt7, asus a7v or a Microstar (MSI) k7T-Pro
    thanks for the help btw

------------------

FiXXXer, I'm sorry I didn't give you such a warm welcome. I just can'r read al the first-posts of everybody which I truly regret!

You know what they say: better late than never so especially for you FiXXXer:

Welcome to HWC and I hope you may become just an oc-addict as all of us here!

Enjoy and have fun (and don't forget to become a SETI-addict too )

Shadowfax

------------------
    The world is the cradle of mankind, but man can't stay in the cradle forever - Konstantin Tsiolkovski

ok first thing why are you getting rage fury maxx if i were you i would get a geforce2 mx instead shouldnt be too much more
    as for overclocking it's not listed in your list so i'm suspecting your not really thinkin about it but you will need a good fan for you to be able to deal with the heat
    personally i would suggest Globalwin or Alpha those are the best i've ever used and the only ones i've used when putting together someones computer
    hmm where are you getting all the parts from depending on where your gettin it from we might be able to save you some money by suggesting a different place

------------------
    Ever seen scent of a woman
    Ever seen scent of a woman while overclockin
    How is it possible
    I wish there was some way
    I feel so invincible
    I'm the sculpture made of clay
    From Clayman by In Flames
    Ever seen scent of a woman
    Ever seen scent of a woman while overclockin
    How is it possible
    I wish there was some way
    I feel so invincible
    I'm the sculpture made of clay
    From Clayman by In Flames

You might want to save some bucks and get one of the new Epox 8KTA+ or 8KTA2 boards, or the Soyo K7VTA board. All of which have multiplier adjustments and are a little over $100.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1353

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1348

http://www.slota.com/reviews/epox/8kta+/
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

at last someone else with a budget!!!

------------------

whats the advatage of the geforce over the rage fury maxx. also decided to go for te asus a7v - bios adjustments. I have already started to think about a diy water cooling system using a freezer unit. and i'm getting my parts from an english firm at www.scan.co.uk - know aywhere cheaper - anywherre in the world let me know - cos even inc posting and packing it wi,ll probably be cheaper than englands prices.

Thanks for the help btw - please keep em coming. looking at the bits i wanted to buy at the top of this thread cept mobo how much do ya reckon - or can you get me a better system for a similar price - i'm on a bit of a tight reign with dosh.

------------------

Thread Information