best design for waterblock
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: best design for waterblock

best design for waterblock

what is the best design for a waterblock?
    i'm talking about routing the water and the size of the waterholes and tubes.
    also the dimensions and what's better 2 waterholes or let's say 4 or 5.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    This what I think about this subject. I have never made a water block or evwn used one but using the laws of physics these are the things I can only come up with for now. I already left a thread pertaining to this subject but no one replied anything about it. If you check out the diff designs I came up with you will notice that they both have the basic structure one is just more revised than the other. The first one might be better also with larger and more output holes. Check it out and tell me what you think the link is below.
    http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/011956.html

i allready saw your thread and i'm thinking about it for a couple of days.
    i think it's agood setup but my processor is square and your cooler is round so that willnot match.
    i think it's better to use square aluminum profile from 50*50 and weld a bottem to it.
    and then make the in and outlets like you drew in your article to a plate and weld them on top of the box.

Quite possibly square would be good too. The reason why I went with a round design is because of the flow of water would be optimized. There are many air coolers that are round and they are for a square chip, for instince the orbs. With a round WB you could still make the bottom where it connects to the chip square. ALuminum will work too but it doesn't have the thermsl conductivity of the other elements mentioned. The only part of the water block that you would really want to be aluminum or copper would be the bottom where it is touching the CPU. How you would produce a block like this though would be beyond me as aluminum and copper or steel and copper don't weld together very easily. It would be just as easy to make the whole thing out of one or the other. I went to the hardware store yesterday to see about their silver solder and copper pipe. They only had silver that was a alloy with tin. I have seen it something like 90 to 99 percent which this might be it didn't say. There copper pipe was too small for the size I feel would be neccessary for proper cooling. I feel the pipes diameter should be the width of the chip or bigger. I would simply cut the pipe about 2 to 2.5 " high and then get solid caps for each end. With this then I would drill a hole large enough for a threaded pipe to be placed in the hole and then screw it down with something large enough to fit over the threads. I might have to use another connector and cut it real thin with a cut off saw. Similar to the connectors for light stems and for some of ya pipe stems. In fact that would work real well. I think with this design it would be easier to make these and any one could about do it. Only thing you would need to know how to do is use a torch, solderering compound and flux.

Do you know what the largest diameter of copper pipe made is? I am sure they make it as large as I would require.

ol' man

Hey guzzman,

I am going to make one of those water blocks this weekend weekend as it is going to be a long one for me and I will have plenty of time. Mind you though like I said early that it would be for a socket style as it is not going to be real thin like the others designed for slot type. Everything is going back to socket style anyway thank god.

I found a place that sells everything I need caps and all.

I just thought of a easy way to make the cold plate out of the silver.

I will take some pics when I am done.

ol' man

hey ol'man,i see that you're going to make one yourself this weekend.
    whowsers!!
    i'm halfway myself right now.
    i've a coldplate copper 6mm thick.
    then a pelt 78w.
    then a waterblock like you figgered out,but then square because my pelt is 50*50mm and i'm using a slotket 111 so there is not much space left sideways.
    i made the in and outlet 10mm because that's the inside diameter of my tubes going to the pomp.
    is 10mm big enough or should i go a little bigger?
    my cpu is a celly2 so it's quite a small chip.
    the wb. is from allu. because that's the material i have in all sorts,and i can weld it the way i want.

i think it's better to make your wb. from copper,let me know.

Thread Information