bus speed VS ratio
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: bus speed VS ratio

Hybrid View

bus speed VS ratio

Currently I have a 566cel with the ratio at 8.5 and the bus speed at 103.5. (=880MHZ)
    I was wondering what would be the differance if i switched it around to get a ratio of 6.5 and a bus speed of 133.(other than the slightly lower cpuMHZ)
    Will this will make my motherbord and components (RAM, pci, agp) run at 133MHZ instead of 103.5MHZ, which, in theory, should make my computer faster than my current set-up. Correct?

------------------
    ~~ SYSTEM~~
    566cel @ 880MHZ (1.8V)
    ASUS adapter,EUPA IBB motherboard
    128mb pc100 RAM
    32mb Riva TNT/2 vc
    TV Genie w/ Radio w/ Remote
    AWE 32 SB, 56K modem, 10gig HD
    Richoh 4X6X24 Burner, 50X cdrom
    For fellow Canadians ONLY:

Visit Canada's Air Miles Online Shopping Mall - YourShops.ca
    Earn AIR MILES on every purchase!
    All stores ship to Canada!

Your cpu is multiplier (ratio) locked, it cannot be changed.

------------------
    Never mind the dog, beware of the owner.

HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

[This message has been edited by dimme (edited 11-01-2000).]
    HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

Unfortunately, I think you'll find that your Celeron is actually locked at the 8.5 muliplier = you won't be able to change it to 6.5...
    I don't have a celeron, but from what I've read it sounds like you have quite a successful overclock as it is - the only way to make it go faster is to increase the FSB even further than what you have it set at now. Sorry!

[Must have posted almost at the same time - you beat me to it dimme!]

------------------
    Wonder what happens when I flick this dip swi.....

[This message has been edited by Burnt_IN (edited 11-01-2000).]
    All silicone-chips were created equal... except some which were more equal than others.

oh, that explains the problems i have with the bios. Any time i have ever tried to set it another ratio it still booted to 8.5.

103.5 is the highest Ive gotten with no problems, other than upgrading my ram from pc100 to pc133 what else would help me get a higher OC?? (my cpu/case is very cool. boot up at 15C and running heavy at 20C)

------------------
    ~~ SYSTEM~~
    566cel @ 880MHZ (1.8V)
    128mb pc100 RAM
    32mb Riva TNT/2 vc

Your RAM might not neccessarily be holding you back from achieving a higher overclock. Can you find out the manufacturer of the RAM?
    PC100 should normally be good for a little over 103, especially if it's newer or good quality stuff. I'm guessing your living in a very cold part of Canada with Temps that low! What kind of cooling are you running, and are you sure the results are accurate? Also what kind of problems do you experience if you raise the FSB higher than 103Mhz?
    Sorry 'bout all the questions, but to help I'm sure someone would have asked somewhere along the line. Also don't be too disapointed if it won't go much higher, as your already running a fast system (over 50% overclcoked!). Later

------------------
    All silicone-chips were created equal... except some which were more equal than others.

Cold? Its not cold in Canada!

Actually I'm an hour SOUTH of Toronto, and just an hour and a half away from Buffalo. But yes, it is colder here. I have my computer in my basement and i dont put the heat on much down here. I keep the room at 16C(computer is on the floor, its a bit colder down there). I have the case off and a oversized heatsink and fan on the cpu w/ thearmal greese. NEVER runs hot.
    (when writing this I have had my computer on for more than 6 hours, no freezes and 2 reboots later: 18C!!)

It was over a month ago when i last tried to go higher than 880MHZ. From what i can remember i tried 124MHZ (@8.5 = 952MHZ)and my computer didnt turn on. I initally thought i blew my chip but cleared cmos a ton of times and got my PC up again. I believe the next FSB 'step-up' is at 112MHZ, I think it turned on at this stage but wouldnt boot to windows.

I have my voltage at 1.8 (the only way i could get past the 710MHZ stage. I dont really want to increase it much higher.

I assumed my ram was holding me back (or atleast it couldnt hurt to upgrade it. Ram is getting cheaper up here, roughly $1 per meg Cnd.)

I hope that was somewhat helpful.

What do you think is stoping me from the (dare-I-say) GIG????

------------------
    ~~ SYSTEM~~
    566cel @ 880MHZ (1.8V)
    128mb pc100 RAM
    32mb Riva TNT/2 vc

Sounds like temperature is not too much of a problem then
    It's a strong possibility that you may well have to increase your voltage even higher - but many people who hit a <gig> (trembling as I type the word!) have their voltages around the 1.9 - 2 volt mark. You could try upping the voltage to... say 1.9 (or 1.85 if mobo supports) and then going for the the next FSB setting. If computer boots then obviously a voltage problem. If it doesn't, then (for experiments sake) I'd up the voltage to 2 volts just to see if it makes the difference - although that is a tad high, designed only to see if thats the problem (shouldn't damage chip, just make sure you change it back if it doesn't work).
    All this may involve the computer hanging, not booting and the need to clear the cmos - but thats just some of the problems of overclocking
    Try changing the RAM timings in the Chipset option of the BIOS. The CAS settings (how many you have will vary on the mobo) can be changed from 2 to 3 (2 being faster, 3 slower but should support higher FSB). This should identify whether or not its the RAM. If none of this works, THEN maybe its time to buy some new RAM
    Best of Luck!!!!

------------------

Thread Information