Anyone else noticed the links between 'real' life and o/c...?!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Anyone else noticed the links between 'real' life and o/c...?!

Hybrid View

Anyone else noticed the links between 'real' life and o/c...?!

Greetings all! Thought it were about time for me to introduce myself... and here I am. Have been reading this particular forum for a good few months now and have been holding out to make the first post until I actually had something half decent to say.
    I'd like to start by saying I really think this is the best forum on the net, with the most helpful and (most of the time) constructive comments being made about all aspects of computer harddware. Also some interesting articles can be found, such as the mamoth thread that was (dare i say it) "I found a Wiliamette".
    With your help, I have been able to get my lowly PIII450 to the giddy heights of 545 with an Abit BE6-II ver1.1 and some (it 'really' does work!) Arctic Silver + GORB (its what I can afford) !
    Sadly I now find that I may be in the need of a little advice. Just when I thought all was running well (and here's the vague connection to the subject), without me ever changing anything, manage to obtain a nasty pre boot-up message of ROM Checksum Error! This only ever occurs on a soft boot, the only option being to turn power off at the mains and boot from cold... Have flashed BIOS (is there suppossed to be some blocks which the flash program fails to write to?) and cleared cmos... but to no avail. Just when you thought it was all working sweet...
    Thanks in advance for any comments on or off the topic, and I hope this is the start of a beautiful new relationship!

------------------
    Wonder what happens when I flick this dip swi.....

[This message has been edited by Burnt_IN (edited 10-23-2000).]
    All silicone-chips were created equal... except some which were more equal than others.

Can't help you with your problem, but I can offer a hearty welcome. Welcome aboard, mate!

------------------
    Sabres in 6
    "It was a good lay........"

Well, i've never heard of this before, but it could be a bad or burnt out component.
    If you can only boot up through a cold boot, then your problem could be a bad power supply. If you have any extra ones, try popping that in. See if it works then.

If that fails, then do what you normally do when there a hardware problem with booting.
    Remove all components except esential ones (vid card, mobo, RAM, CPU), then add parts one at a time. If you add a part then you get the message then you know somethings wrong.

If you get the message before adding anything, try swapping parts in from older systems. Then you should be able to single out the bad part. You can come back to us and/or contact tech support.

BTW, I like the nick name. Welcome aboard to the pirate hideout! And i mean that in a strictly non-napster way1 (just trying to keep me from saying something i may regret later!)

------------------
    Vote For Nader/LaDuke 2000!
    Otherwise that means you hate women and the environment. You dont hate women and the environment, DO YOU?
    VoteNader.com
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Glad your here

Could be your ram but follow SSP's advice and you should be able to narrow it down.

Do you get the error if you go back to stock speed??

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

DOH! I guess I really should have known better than to hope for my feeble 235 watt power supply to power my PIII450Kbo@545(default voltage though), 128meg Crucial cas2, Rage Fury Maxx, Realtek Network Card, SBLive Value, Modem, IBM 17g h/d, Zip 100, floppy, Phillips CDRW, Pioneer 8xDVD and last of all (but I get the feeling this tipped the balance when I added it a week or so ago) one GORB. Have removed the modem (connect over proxy at the mo anyhow), and all seems to be working well - unless it was of course the modem which was bust, but all that matters is that it runs smoothly again! It just seemed strange that it all went wrong without me altering anything...
    I did hope that my first post wouldn't be so mundane and boring, but should've followed the rules... lesson learnt...
    Thanks for your help and the welcome though guys, and will be seeing you around no doubt. Later!

------------------
    Wonder what happens when I flick this dip swi.....
    All silicone-chips were created equal... except some which were more equal than others.

Thread Information