duron temps
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: duron temps

duron temps

I have a Duron 650 running @ 700. I see all these posts with people having them running very cool, while mine sits at about 42-43C when idle, and 45C with a full load. I have a golden orb on it, and two case fans. It's also on an A7V. What could I do to get this thing down in the 30's? New heat sink, more fans, thermal paste between the heat sink and cpu?

2 case fans, if well placed, are usually sufficent for general case cooling. Thermal paste however is definately a requirement in the T-Bird/Duron enviroment as they are notorious space heaters. Getting some quality thermal compound can drop your temps 2 - 4C. I recommend the Arctic Silver compound now availiable in many overclocker oriented stores.

Also, the GOrb is not the best Duron cooler. It's relatively small size, inadequate mass and weak fan make it suitable only for the PIII/Celery II which put out only less then 2/3rds the heat of a comparable Duron/T-Bird. Consider the Alpha PAL 6035 for ~$31 and that can drop your temps another 3 - 5C.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Thanks S_Klass

Can anyone recommend the Hedgehog?

Or the Global Win F0P32-1?

There's some question as to whether an all copper HSF is the best design since copper holds on to heat longer then say, aluminum does. However, tests have shown it to perform on par or slighty better then the Alpha PAL6035. My T-Bird 800 @ 1.1GHz w/1.89 volts sits beneath a PAL6035 and I'm happy with it's performance.

------------------

Does anyone have any opinions on the Globalwin FOP32-1? If it's comparable to (or better than) the Alpha? Or any other heatsinks, but from what I know, those are the big two (and then the hedgehog is like this alien thing that beats both of them, but you never see it).

The GW FOP32 consistantly places behind the Alpha PAL6035 in many shootouts and reviews. It's about $10 less but you get what you pay for I guess.

The Hedgehog is not that elusive.

Pic is a link!

------------------

That's like the best cooling site I've ever seen, thanks! Gotta admit though, the Hedgehog does have this aura around it, being copper and all. It's like ooooooooo copper. Anyways I think I'm gonna spring for the alpha, I can't justify in my mind paying $50 for a heatsink, especially with my budget.

If you can find an GW FOP38, that will definately cool the CPU. Even better than the Hedgehog. Slight problem though, it is LOUD!!! But great plus it costs ~$30

------------------
    Can't You Just Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful
    Asus A7V 1.02
    AMD T-Bird 850@1000
    Asus GeForce3 Ti200
    SB Live!Value
    3Com 10/100 NIC
    2 IBM HD's totaling 60 GB
    384 MB PC133 RAM CAS2.
    4 80mm Case Fans
    Antec Black SX1030 Case

Can anyone recommend a site that has the Alphas or the Hedgehogs in stock? I've been through a few, but they're all out.

malaka, this place has it in stock for $29 and they have a flat $4 S/H charge regardless of the number of items bought which is truely a great deal! I bought over $90 of cooling gear from them the last time and it arrived the next day.

Pic is a Link!

------------------

Thread Information