How do you remove the heat plate from an athlon so that you can put it back on?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do you remove the heat plate from an athlon so that you can put it back on?

How do you remove the heat plate from an athlon so that you can put it back on?

Ahh.... my dad doesn't wanna OC so he just bought an athy 850 and gave me his 500 . Got the case off but not the heatplate yet.
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

I took a small screw driver and pried the fingers up on the retainer side.you do need to be carful. I did it to a t bird and a P2 233 and I sliped on the P2 and broke a resister off of the PCB. I got it soldered back on but it scared the hell out of me.

------------------
    If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a cucumber?????
    If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a cucumber?????

I popped a resistor off of my 650 Classic and the damn thing still works fine. Couldn't find the resistor, fell on the floor, but it still works great. I went ahead and bought a 700 Tbird. It was a good excuse for my wife. I have wandered if the resistor is a ground or what? I ran it with SETI for 48 hours, couldn't believe it , it even OC'ed too. But be very careful!!!

Done mine with a screwdriver, scary though, gotta be careful!
    XP @ 2.3Ghz (210xx11)
    NF7-S v2
    1GB PC3500
    Rad 9800pro @ XT
    CM101B
    Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT

The fron side is not a big deal: You'll have to break off the plastic retainers anyway cause you're going about it blind.

The heatplate is scary.

I too a piece of stiff plastic & cut around the retainer clips to protect the PCB, then gently bent or stretched the metal clips.

The open up when reverse pressure is applied using needle noise pliers.

Done three so far with a casualty.

------------------
    Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

i just grabbed a pair of small needlenose pliers and a piece of paper...

lay the paper in betweeen the exposed back of the pcb and the edge of the retaining clips (to prevent the needlenose pliers interacting w/ the junk on the back of the chip), then just grab the edge and roll it over the pin w/ the pliers... do this slowly and evenly on all four edges... works like a charm...
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Thread Information