Duron question...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Duron question...

Duron question...

Would removing the rubber feet off a Duron & planting an Alpha PAL35 w/ lil plastic feet crush my cpu?
    C:\Dos
    C:\Dos\Run
    \Run\Dos\Run

Better to remove the plastic feet on the heatsink...

The Duron's feet are designed by AMD to provide a certain support at a certain pressure (when the heatsink is pushing on them).

My personal opinion is that there is less chance of damage if the AMD feet are used instead (my opinion)...

P4 2.5 Engineering Sample C1 stepping on Asus P4B266 w/512 MB PC2700
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/Sony E500
    Adaptec 19160 SCSI w/Seagate X15, 2xQuantum Atlas 10kII 73.4GB, 2xSeagate 73LP 73.4GB
    Pioneer 305S slot load DVD (SCSI), Plextor 40TSi (SCSI), Yamaha 2200S 20x burner (SCSI)
    SB Live Platinum 5.1 w/Yamaha TSS1
    Lian Li PC70 w/Enermax 531W p/s

Big mistake to remove those rubber pads. They're basically there is stop the die being crushed or damaged are a result of the H/S rocking during installation. The white pads on the PAL35 are the wrong depth (look at them closely and compare them to the pads on the Duron - they're a different depth)

Better to use some plyers to pull off the white feet on the PAL35 and use the flat base of the PAL to mount it directly on the Duron core. Make sure you don't rock it, otherwise, you're gonna have a dead Duron.....

The Chrome Orb rules......

Thread Information