Removing Heat Plate and Case on Athlon Classic
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Removing Heat Plate and Case on Athlon Classic

Removing Heat Plate and Case on Athlon Classic

Ok, If I want to remove the case and heat plate will I still be able to put a standard heatsink and fan on it? If not can you put the heat plate back on after removing it, I just want to see what core I have then put it back on. I would like to undress it, see what core I have, then cut out a hole for the GFD with a dremel in the case, reassemble it(heat plate & case) and put my heatsink back on. is this possible?
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    Asus A7V-ThermoEngine w/38CFM
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum
    Desktop Theater 2500 5.1 Digital

It's half possible. Once you remove the case, it's toast. You can't put the case back on. In the process of taking it off, you tear it up pretty badly. You can take the heatplate off and then put it back on without a problem. Nice thought, but you would have to do some major jerry-rigging magic to do what you want to do.

------------------
    The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything at all.

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:
    www.techcomm.net/~mosherup/index.html

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:Maximum Mollerup

ok, thanks. now, can I still put my standard heatsink on it with just the heat plate and no case? or will I have to buy a special heatsink? I havent really looked at it that good to see what the heatsink actually mounts to.
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum

You shouldn't really bother putting the case back on...it runs cooler without it. Unless you don't want your athy to be naked. :O I think it is possible to put the case back on if you take it off carefully. I didn't bust up mine taking it off...but I haven't tried putting it back on. I got a lot of info from this site: http://www.thetechzone.com/articles/...val/index.html

done read that article, thanks anyway. I really dont care if I do put the case back on or not. my main question now is can I still use my standard heatskink with the case off.
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum

With the case off and the heatplate on yes.

Here's my take on things. I have a K7 700 that I removed the case on, to check out the core. After finding out what it was I was able to "snap"the plastic back on very easly. Got a GFD so then removed the plastic and installed the GFD. I found that the cpu did not seem too stable in the slot , so I cut the ends off the plastic cover, just enough so that there was enough left to fill the slot and to snap back onto the chip., works great. Don't know what HS/F combo you have ,but here's a link if you are usinf a GW Vos 32. http://www.athlonoc.com/vos_mounting_p1.htm

------------------
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

Thanks all. I am using a standard heatsink and dual fans, nothing special on that part. But I have hole cut out of my floor with a 130 CFM fan blowing cold air from under my house(~20 below ambient)through a dryer hose onto my CPU. works rather well, usually around 70-75 F under full load.

Just to clear things up, so I now know I can use my hs/fan without the case, heat plate only. What does the heatsink actually mount to? the heat plate or what? or do I have to do something special to mount it, like the link of the Vos 32? I really appreciate you all for helping me. thanks
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum

As with the link about mounting the Vos, it is mounted directly to the cpu . I this case you have to knock out the pins on the cpu,scribe your HS to drill [4] holes so as to mount it right to the chip. I do have the Vos 32 and have yet to get the 'balls' to go this far . Hope this helps. I'am not a guru on this ,but do have many links on this subject. E-mail me if you think I can help.

------------------

So how do you have yours mounted?
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum

If you put the heatplate back on after you take it off to look at your core speed and cache type/speed, you can still attach the HS the same way as if you still had the case on. The plastic case has absolutly nothing to do with attaching the heatsink. The HS attaches to the heatplate. If you want to leave the heatplate off and attach your heatsink directly to the CPU like ebok, that's a little different. I'm sure ebok won't mind explaining it to you, plus you can use that link to athlonoc.com on attaching the GWVOS32 to the core.

------------------

um, my heatsink has a clip that snaps over the top of the chip. will that work with an open athlon?
    Impossible? Watch me.

Not with the clip like that. You'll have to remove the clip(s). There are all kinds of ways to attach different heatsinks to just the Atlon core/PCB, but they are all different. Athlonoc.com just happened to have an article on attaching the GlobalWin VOS32 to to bare Athlon. You will probably have to find another way. We might be able to help if you tell us what kind it is.

------------------

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I have not yet mounted my Vos 32 to the bare cpu. The biggest reason is that even when I had the plastic cover off, and HS mounted to stock back plate , cpu was VERY sloppy in the slot. So I cut the ends off the plastic , snapped them back on for a tighter fit. That Vos is one big assed HS. If I can figure out a way to make it tighter, I will then drill out the HS and mount it to the bare cpu.

------------------

Thread Information