CPU temp at 81 'C (!!)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CPU temp at 81 'C (!!)

CPU temp at 81 'C (!!)

I have an AMD t-bird 700 on a Gigabyte 7ZM and lately it's been locking my win98 box. Figuring that the CPU is overheating, I checked out the CPU temp in the system bios.

The CPU temp read at a whopping 81 'C with a Chrome Orb heatsink (note: when I removed the 'old' heatsink, I found that its thermal tape had melted onto the CPU)

The Case temp with a Tornado 1000 read at a more reasonable 31 'C.

Tonight I will test it using the CPU monitor program I found on this site...

In the mean time, can this be credited to a poorly produced CPU...a bad apple?

casey

i guess that your sensors aren't quit good or you have a serious problem!

have you tried flashing your bios? this helped getting those high scores on my be6-2.

first of all you should get that monitoring util and look again..
    Fast, Faster, WooHoO!!!

Thermal Tape is not the best method for cooling, besides the tornado 1000 is not the best case for keeping low temps. My Supermicro does 26/27'C at worst. Depending on how many blowers are installed! My P3 600 runs at 36'C with room temps at 80'F. Using a stock Tennmax Mega7 cooler.
    Ford Mustang GT 2001
    281 Cubic Inch/260HP - Fully Loaded - Mach 460 Surround Sound - Silver Metallic - 17" Aluminum Alloy Rims

Did you scrape that melted tape **** off your cpu b4 puttin the chrome orb on? Contact is essential. see if you can shine light thru the crack b/w heatsink and cpu, and try using a thermal compound to fill the gaps.
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

Last night I updated my bios and re-installed windoze98, installed the cpu temp monitor program you guys kept referring too.

127'C is the end result when windoze is in loaded. go figure. My guess is the temp regulator chip is somewhat faulty on the motherboard since AMD K7 T-bird is rated only up 90'C (check the tech specs) so if the core is really running at 127'C, I doubt the system would even boot. Regardless, the system appears to be stable now most likely due to the fresh install.

In addition, before I discovered this temp reading from hell, I was playing games and such without so much a hitch. I should just blame it on the Windows Media Player v7.

go figure

casey

Just put your hand on the CPU (on the cooler actually) after 1h of playing, and if you'll get burned, you HAVE a problem. If it's just warm, it's OK.

!!! If your PC works OK, that does NOT mean that the CPU is in the rated temps. I've seen CPU's work even without a fan for some time (untill someone noticed) but not without concequences (freqwent lockups) so don't play with HEAT

Thread Information