Hot 7200rpm HDs
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hot 7200rpm HDs

Hot 7200rpm HDs

Just wondering how hot does a 7200rpm drive run before it gets too hot?

I have a 1 year old 6.4gb Quantum HD, and it runs at 7200rpm without getting noticeably hot when I touch it. However, my 2 year old 14.4gb IBM Desktar HD runs very hot, too hot to touch. Is this bad? The IBM came with my Dell and it didn't have any special cooling devices for the 2 years I used it (no problems during that time). But since I moved to a new place that's warmer, I've been a little worried. Recently, I moved the IBM HD to another drive bay with 3 small fans blowing cool air over it. Very inconvenient location though, as I need to use that drive bay real soon for another device. I would like to move the HD back to its original location, but am concerned by temps.
    OCN Hellspawns Genome Team
    TeamID: 567443298

Silver | Dark Genome FAQ | Top 100 Teams Stats

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never heard of a hard drive that REQUIRED cooling. If you start to notice any sort of data corruption you'll know theres a problem, then you can cool it... but i wouldn't worry about it.
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

Originally posted by RAMmyBUS:
    If you start to notice any sort of data corruption you'll know theres a problem
    erm.. don't you think that's a little too late by then? 7,200/10,000/15,000 RPM drives do not require active cooling but it's a good idea to cool them to prolong operational life and prevent data loss. If the drive runs hot enough to 'burn' your fingers you should most definately cool it. It's time to get creative on how.

How many 3.5" drive bays do you have availiable?

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

How many 3.5" drive bays do you have availiable?
    [/B]
    Well, I have the standard Dell Dimension case with 2x 5.25" exposed bays (1 for DVD, 1 "free" - now housing my 7200rpm HD with cooling fans), 2x 3.5" exposed bays (1 for Zip, 1 free - used to hold Jaz drive, but moving that to another PC), 2x 3.5" internal HD bays (1 for 5400rpm second HD, 1 "free" - used to hold the 7200rpm drive before I moved it).

The old 3.5" bay for the 7200rpm drive is where most casings have the front intake case fan, so there are good air intake vents there but no spots for fans. Case cooling comes from the PSU fan, and a 92mm fan exhausting air behind the CPU which has a large HS w/o fan (but I stuck a stock Celeron fan there anyway).

You can try using an HDD cooling fan. check your local Computer store. Here in the Philippines we were recently flooded by various Taiwan made coolers. But this one cooler stands out among the rest. Its manufactured by "Just Cooler". Its a super Thin 80x80 fan that you lap directly on top an HDD. I bet its in your market shelves too.

trust, me 7200 rpm drives can get very hot in a closed case, i know, i've had two scsi 7200rpm drives go on me, one was a fibre channel 36gig drive. kinda bad, but i get them for free.

------------------
    Visit my website!
    look for me on AIM as gosanjose or on ICQ as #46997155

ReB: I have something similar, it's 2 thin 40mm fans on a flat piece of metal that sucks air from the circuitry of the HD and blows it sideways. For now, what I have done is install one of those 5.25" bay coolers with 3x 40mm intake fans blowing air onto the HD. Not a permanent solution though as the setup is shaky, can't seem to fix it tight. Plus, I don't know how effective it is as I can't reach in and feel the HD for temps. I've ordered the Digital Doc2 but I think the site won't ship it internationally (they didn't charge my card at all, and seemed to have just ignored my order).

Thread Information