Any Mainboard Suggestions?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Any Mainboard Suggestions?

Any Mainboard Suggestions?

I'm considering throwing out my old Pentium machine this December. [Talk 'bout trash, but hey, i'm overclocking the CPU and reformatting the HD and i'm gonna install Linux by RedHat!]

I'm planning to get an AMD Athlon CPU. I know the hype that Athlons can run @ an exhilerating 200 MHz FSB. [So, does this guarantee that Athlons run faster than PIIIs?]. But, i'm not used to selecting the right motherboard for an AMD CPU so...can someone suggest good mobos?

Regards, Mr. Banana
    Be careful when surfing...bananas may trip you.

Well they don't exactly run at 200MHz FSB. It's a 100MHz DDR system bus speed (Double Data Rate) based off the Alpha EVO 6 platform for the Alpha processors. It can transfer CPU data to and from the system bus on both the rising and falling edge of the system clock rather than just on the rising edge, potentially doubling output of the system bus. If it was truely 200MHz FSB, you would need 200MHz SDRAM or DDR SDRAM to go with it.

The ASUSTeK A7V seems to be the mobo of current choice for Duron/TBird owners btw.

But hey, I'm no AMDxpert so anyone feel to chime in.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

IF you are going slot a, i would recomend the abit ka7 or the asus k7v. I'm about to get a k7v myself. Socket a, same story, asus or abit boards are great.
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

I have the Asus A7V motherboard. It has 4 fan connectors, so that will help if you plan on overclocking. It does NOT have any ISA slots, which may or may not matter to you. Supports 4x AGP (and AGPro). Comes with 5 USB ports (2 on MB, and 3 in a little slot thing that you can hook up yourself), and supports up to 7 USB devices. You can change the multiplier, FSB and voltages using dip switches on the motherboard, a lot of options, but not the easiest way to overclock. I believe the Abit KT7 motherboard has those settings in the BIOS so it's all jumperfree (I have another Abit motherboard, and it is one high quality product). I don't think you can go wrong with either Asus or Abit, but they are not the cheapest.

My next socket A motherboard is likely to be the Abit KT7-RAID which I chose over the Asus A7V for 2 main reasons: the jumperless overclocking features which make overclocking easier, and the RAID features.
    OCN Hellspawns Genome Team
    TeamID: 567443298

Silver | Dark Genome FAQ | Top 100 Teams Stats

I think it's better if you wait because from now to december the scenery can be completely
    changed so seems to be a waste of time thnking now what to buy on three and half months.
    (Remeber i820 based mobos?)

Thread Information